Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1463761359' post='3053933']
There's a lot of stuff described as 'ex display'. So why's that? Is it perhaps that there may be a few marks and dings?

I've found the bloke so so. Not a fan.
[/quote]
Possibly. The items also might have been displayed elsewhere or bought at a trade show. The ex-display bass I bought a couple of years ago was pristine although it had been displayed at one of the shows. And it was a bargain.

Just bought another bass from Bass Direct - an MTD KZ5 - phoned Mark yesterday afternoon at about 3:30 after a series of e-mails, paid over the phone and the bass arrived at 8:30 this morning... couldn't ask for quicker service and Mark was really friendly and chatty on the phone. So, that's my second MTD from them and I fear there will be another one in my future somewhere :)

Edited by anzoid

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1463761579' post='3053935']
My only 'negative' comment is that as the shop has got so popular, Mark has employed staff to allow him to cope with the demand (and deal with the mundane stuff like packaging sold items or restringing instruments).

I've known Mark for nearly 10 years, and we have a friendly relationship - when I walk in there with the new guys (some recognize me but not by name) I don't feel I have the same rapport with them and to them, I am just 'another customer'.
[/quote]

Thats how I felt last time I went there, Mark was as awesome and friendly as ever. The other chap, quite offish.

I've bought a fair bit off bd over the years and had good experience Mark can be slightly abrasive and very opiniated but I don't mind that. I phoned up recently though and spoke to someone else to get a price on a berg nv cab and he just went on about a vanderkley 410 which I explained was undoubtedly a good cab but definitely not for me as I tried/owned most cabs and I like ceramic speaker with big magnets and the guy still went on about neo this lightweight that , bit frustrating really

Bought a couple things from Bass Direct (like Bergantino cabs) and everything was shipped nicely to Belgium....
Only thing that bothers me is the quality of the videos they offer....this is supposed to make my buy this fretless while the player looks bored and has little knowledge of how you bring out the best in a bass. Watched some other videos too and I have the feeling this player has no idea what a bass player is looking for when he clicks on these videos..mindless slapping, three chords on an expensive Fodera, etc...Pity because the shop's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiqZMpwSO4k

Bought a used Sadowsky NYC from Bass Direct, really easy process and no issues whatsoever.

The best part was that he had no problem posting to Orkney. Yeah it was an extra tenner but a lot of places will not post to anywhere north of Inverness.

I would happily buy from there again.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1464772115' post='3062294']
Yup, Mark does have opinions but they're mostly coming from a good place..[/quote]
Exactly. And I like that. You don't have to agree with him. You can even have your own opinions if you like!
I bought my Sandberg from him on a very pleasurable excursion to his premises. It's turned out that I've not got on as well with it as I'd hoped but that's not Mark's fault.
He also sold a bass for me on commission which was done very professionally and went really smoothly.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463143107' post='3048969']
So there's different kinds of relicing? It's OK if it was done at the factory but not OK if done by the player?

That's a new one on me!
[/quote]

A luthier I know had a Fender CS Strat in for repair. It was a heavy relic version and the customer wanted one of the paint surface dings retouched.

When the luthier asked why, as the guitar was covered in marks and dings, the response was "yes, but those are from the Fender factory and I did this one myself so I want it fixed". . .

True story 😂

The sort of basses they sell can only really be sold in that way, your average pmt customer buying typical fenders or squier basses can choose one from a pile of unopened boxes so the last display bass is discounted and will have been mistreated no doubt, a custom Roscoe is what it is, the bass on the hook is the bass you buy unless you want to wait, you don't really have a pile of xotics on the shelf out back do you?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1465118663' post='3065355']

A luthier I know had a Fender CS Strat in for repair. It was a heavy relic version and the customer wanted one of the paint surface dings retouched.

When the luthier asked why, as the guitar was covered in marks and dings, the response was "yes, but those are from the Fender factory and I did this one myself so I want it fixed". . .

True story 😂
[/quote]

I do often wonder why people insist a bass is in top condition when buying it, but are quite happy to pay over the top for a factory "damaged" bass. Still, that's for another thread (think we are due for another on this topic soon :-).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1465118663' post='3065355']

True story
[/quote]

That kid needs a slap! Jesus wept...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1444937420' post='2887561']
So I was in the market for a bass distortion... tried out the range. Marcus set them up and Mark looked over proceedings. Great range to try.. EBS and Darkglass notably. I think Mark is a prickly fish if you go in with a load of old school Fender mojo baloney. He's definitely from the new world of bass which is what are you wanting to do... here's the tools to do it... And there's no better choice in the UK for high end except perhaps the Gallery - close call.

All that said, he's never gonna shift that gold sparkle Mayones bass unless Prince comes in the store...
[/quote]...seems unlikely now i guess !

I recently bought a Fodera from Bass Direct. I was happy with the service from the guys. It's obviously a good bass but the set up on it was truly shocking. I mean it was completely unplayable. This isn't a personal taste thing either - it was shocking - fret buzz all over the place where the truss rod was too curved.

I got £100 off the price and then had to spend that money on a set up anyway. I can do set up tweaks but it was so out of whack I had to get a professional to look at it. For £4400 I'd expect a bit better to be honest.

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1463062889' post='3048225']
It's an interesting one because I don't really see something as being new unless it's still sealed in its box - musical instruments blur the lines because shops will often take them out to do a set-up which I'm ok with but once it's been out on the shop floor for people to look at/try out then surely it's ex-demo not new?

I've had to learn to let it go with music stuff, you've just got to hope n one has touched your stuff with greasy fingers.
[/quote]When does a pair of jeans become ex demo? I would imagine we have all tried on a pair of jeans. Who knows if the last person to try them on had clean underwear. If the bass still looks pristine, and still has the cellophane over the pickguard, I would regard that as new personally .

Depends on how many people have been in there, played it, maybe played it with a belt on, or maybe even knocked the headstock by total accident. Not only that, something hung up for 6 months + is not really brand new, but obviously still completely good enough to buy, but maybe not at full whack.

[quote name='richardd' timestamp='1465662541' post='3070078']
For what it worth Mark seems a great guy when he is selling you something,But you try to chop something in.An other Mark Appears ,
[/quote]

Trades are harder to bank than cash. It may takes months to shift a traded instrument. From a cashflow point of view it's terrible I expect so making it as profitable as possible seems reasonable.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1465671463' post='3070153']
I offered a bass for trade with them and they told me not to bother. Just said I'd easy get more selling private. And I did, about £400 more
[/quote]

Always the case. You'd have to be pretty desperate or impatient to trade.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1466607349' post='3077194']
Gave BD a call trying to source a box for posting a bass and was told they don't provide this sort of service?
[/quote]

I guess they may need them themselves.

Try halfords for a bike box.