Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1492603234' post='3281535']
Sorry if you are upset - I can only state my experiences and I've had nothing but positive one's every time I have step foot in the shop.

[b]I was not 'dissing' Bass Direct by saying they must stock these items - just making other users aware that they won't find them at the shop.[/b]
[/quote]

I know you were not dissing them, I was simply giving my opinion as to why they dont stock the run of the mill stuff.

• 3 months later...

Been to BD a couple of times. Last time was last Saturday. Made my probably biggest purchase on music related things. Arrived around 15:00. They were quite busy so I spent around 10 minutes waiting. Not complaining as I get to stare at some gorgeous instruments. And I played the bass I'm after whilst I was waiting. When Mark was done with what he was doing, he entertained me. Straight to the point. Deal done in 5 minutes. After that he even gave me a lift to the train station! What a gent! Thanks Mark! You are a legend.

i'm pretty lucky in that my girlfriend lives in Leamington so when I get the urge I nip into BD once a month or so. I went a couple of weeks ago and asked Mark what pre-loved stuff he had in stock. Seems he's stopped putting used basses in the shop as he's too much stock for that. So if you want one you need to look at their website. Loads of high end gear upwards of £2,500. Nice to try out but no way would I spend that kinda dosh.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear is all I can say about my limited experience of these people, ordered some Hipshot tuners, chrome, tuners arrived 3 chrome and 1 chrome and satin upon contacting Bass direct there first suggestion was to send back the incorrect one and they would send me the correct one, now call me old fashioned but I think they should have immediately offered to rectify there mistake rather then asked for a return of an incorrectly supplied item.I also have just purchased a 5 string set of la Bella flat's cost £55 upon receiving the strings, pack of 4 and 1 separate I started by fitting the B sting, then when I opened the 4 string pack I found that the B string had black silk and the strings in the pack had red silks, tuning pegs and bridge as you can imagine it looked really crap, after calling Bass direct I was told that nobody had ever complained about this before but I could send my email address I they could inform me when they had a matching string in stock and I could by that, won't be using them again

Have bought three basses (with trades) from BD plus strings and other accessories over the last five years or so.

I have tended to visit there with a purchase lined up.

Service was completely professional and straightforward. Unique and high quality range of basses compared with other stores in the U.K., as far as I can tell.

Wouldn't hesitate recommending them, particularly relative to experience with other musical instrument shops.

[quote name='handman' timestamp='1501962101' post='3348536']
Oh dear.... I also have just purchased a 5 string set of la Bella flat's cost £55 upon receiving the strings, pack of 4 and 1 separate I started by fitting the B sting, then when I opened the 4 string pack I found that the B string had black silk and the strings in the pack had red silks, tuning pegs and bridge as you can imagine it looked really crap, after calling Bass direct I was told that nobody had ever complained about this before but I could send my email address I they could inform me when they had a matching string in stock and I could by that, won't be using them again
[/quote]

Black AND red silk? Hope you're able to get this sorted.

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1502010106' post='3348695']
That indicates a different type of string, Clementine.
[/quote]

Different gauge, Mandarin :)
La Bella silk colours denote different gauges of flatwound. The 4 string pack is red, but if you're adding a low B / high C - there's a variety of colours depending on gauge.

Edited by Drax

. . . . ordered some Hipshot tuners, chrome, tuners arrived 3 chrome and 1 chrome and satin upon contacting Bass direct there first suggestion was to send back the incorrect one and they would send me the correct one, now call me old fashioned but I think they should have immediately offered to rectify there mistake rather then asked for a return of an incorrectly supplied item. . . . [/quote]

Err. . surely that's exactly what they just did. Send us back the wrong one and we'll send you the right one [i]is[/i] rectifying the mistake!

It's the attitude of people that's affects your experience,yes the correct tuner was sent but I had to suggest they send the tuner , I could then fit it to the Bass then return the incorrect one not other way around,take it off send it back and wait for the replacement.customer service anyone,as for the string there is no mention on the website about different silk colours, when i informed them of this I was told "yeah maybe we should put some information about that on there. nobody had ever complained about different silk colours",really!

Oh dear is all I can say about my limited experience of these people, ordered some Hipshot tuners, chrome, tuners arrived 3 chrome and 1 chrome and satin upon contacting Bass direct there first suggestion was to send back the incorrect one and they would send me the correct one, now call me old fashioned but I think they should have immediately offered to rectify there mistake rather then asked for a return of an incorrectly supplied item.I also have just purchased a 5 string set of la Bella flat's cost £55 upon receiving the strings, pack of 4 and 1 separate I started by fitting the B sting, then when I opened the 4 string pack I found that the B string had black silk and the strings in the pack had red silks, tuning pegs and bridge as you can imagine it looked really crap, after calling Bass direct I was told that nobody had ever complained about this before but I could send my email address I they could inform me when they had a matching string in stock and I could by that, won't be using them again
[/quote]

I can see you'd be annoyed about the tuner, but the strings is just a cosmetic thing surely? It's also how they're manufactured, not the faulty of the shop.

They're only a small shop, but I think they do do quite a lot of business, so mistakes every now and then are going to occur. The problem with this thread is that people come on and air these problems. I don't see a similar thread for Thomann, or the Bass gallery, or Guitar Guitar.

I have no affiliation with the shop, I've used them many times, and not all of my dealings have been perfect, but it's how they're sorted out that matters, and everyone has been.

Edited by ambient

I had a less than satisfactory experience the one time I shopped at BD, including the 'too cool for school' vibe in store & a return experience with a faulty cab where it seemed Mark was not particularly interested throughout the process.

BD is definitely Marmite. It's like they've got PMT every couple of days (No pun intended). Is it too much to expect consistent service when essentially they're taking your dollar? You'd all moan loud enough if it happened in Tesco or Currys etc.

I have only had two dealings with BD. The first was when I bought the rackmount kit for my Shuttle over the phone, and the second was in person when I dropped off a bunch of our much-missed mate OldGit's basses for a commission sale. Both times Mark was friendly and easy to deal with. This is going back a few years and is pre-Marcus, so things may have changed in the mean time. It's a bit far for me to just 'pop in', y'see. :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1492263368' post='3279089']
I don't think that posting personal comments about the guys who work there is right.

If you've got a problem with how someone is then keep it to yourself.

If you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything, as my mom always said when I was a child.
[/quote]
100% agreed .
Not need to mention names , been to BD several times and always been great ! Emailed Mark and got reply after 20 min !
If you had a bad experience keep it to yourself and don't purchase from them anymore !
also I don't think BD is overpriced at all

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1492416792' post='3279973'] I would definitely say it's for the 'new school' breed of bass players. No Fenders, no Ampegs/Oranges.

[/quote]

You can get that old crap anywhere! ;)

I bought a used TC Electronic Corona from BD last week. Arrived the next day, great service. I had tried to contact them by phone over Thursday lunchtime but they must have been out to lunch. I would love to go to the shop one day but it's a bloody long trip!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"You can get that old crap anywhere! "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pray tell me where I can get 'old' Oranges?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :unsure:[/font][/color]

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1502122177' post='3349440']
Also...love the way everyone's 'name & shame' when it comes to bad treatment from a venue/bad marketplace experience/other music store. Why is BD & its staff sacrosanct?

Just my two or pennorth.
[/quote]he has got a good point and I'm not a lover or hater of BD I have met Mark a few times but wasn't keen on him and chose not to spend any of my hard earned with him but that is purely my opinion if people like BD cool if they hate it that's cool to with me I'm not really fussed either way

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502013824' post='3348725']

Err. . surely that's exactly what they just did. Send us back the wrong one and we'll send you the right one [i]is[/i] rectifying the mistake!
[/quote]

If you have purchased something online and been sent an incorrect item, the shop cannot demand return of the incorrect item before fulfulling their side of the contract. It's also their responsibility to arrange that return and cover the cost.
Of course we are all civilised people, these things do happen from time to time and when it's happened to me I've returned the items without question. However for a shop to demand return of the incorrect item before sending out the correct one is a no-no.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1502124671' post='3349463']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"You can get that old crap anywhere! "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pray tell me where I can get 'old' Oranges?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :unsure:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Tesco's bins

i visited a few months ago. When i arrived it was just Marcus and I was playing a fretless MTD that i fully intended to buy. Mark turned up to the shop 15 minutes later and asked everybody in the shop whos the car was parked outside. when i told him it was mine, he asked me to move it as there were no more spaces close-by. i think he had something heavy to bring into the store.

seriously, do you really ask a customer to leave the store so you can park your car?

i told him that i would be leaving in 5 minutes if he could wait that long? i sat stewing on it feeling uncomfortable, and left in plenty of time.

not only did he loose a sale, but probably my custom for good.