Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

We had quite a robust discussion - I prefer 4 string basses and actually like old amps and cabs despite my bad back...
After all, bass payers made some pretty good noises with them in the past!
Still, I prefer a strongly-held view so long as it's not hectoring or allowing no alternatives.
So we got on well, and I left with a cracking pair of FX pedals!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1389289729' post='2332469']
Mark is a really nice guy and can be very talkative when he gets the chance, bearing in mind he is a one man operation and always seems to be really busy.

Beware that he is a man with very definite views, which may not be the same as yours! That is not to say that your way of doing things is wrong, but be prepared to be challenged a bit - he never read the memo about the customer always being right!! However, he does know his stuff and he may give you a new perspective on certain types of gear, etc...
[/quote]

Once again, this. Mark won't just let you walk out with what you [i]think[/i] you want, he'll help you find what you [i]do[/i] want and what is going to work for you. He is not afraid to contradict you if you start confidently stating erroneous 'facts', as I did!

I hated my experience going there!

I went to get a new amp and having recorded my last albumn on EBS Fafner (not mine) I wanted to tryout the little EBS amp for smaller gigs.

From the start I was told I didnt know what I wanted, the amp I currently owned was wrong for me. my bass was totally unsuitable for me, why the hell did I want the ebs and not Genz shuttle. The strangest thing is that he never asked me what kind of music I played or anything about my musical ability so how the hell did he knowwhat was right or wrong for me?

He did finally demo the ebs (not letting me!) but someone else walked in and he asked what can I do for you? the reply was I want to buy a dingwall and genz stack. He instantly dropped me, left me waiting 30mins while he was doing a much larger sale so I walked out in discuss and got one from here 2nd hand

Edited by wateroftyne
Removed profanity

I've only dealt with they guy over the phone... He seemed fine to me.

To be honest I couldn't give a toss what he thinks about my gear choices... I wouldn't be going in there to make friends, I'd be there to buy bass gear.

Why is everyone so sensitive.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have been in a couple of times and found Mark to be helpful - yes he has strong opinions and shares them. I am not a pro player and so was not spending a lot of money (other than in my dreams) but still Mark had time to spend with me. Yes, the fewer people in the shop the better in that respect. Had great email support from him. He swapped out a Source Audio pedal as he's the main UK seller.

Someone wanted an example of opinions - I was looking at hard cases/gig bags and he strongly thought that bags were better than cases. I agreed with him on that point and I bought a gig bag (a Mono).

My missus bought me a Darkglass b3k from the website at Christmas. Apparently it arrived with the knobs scratched to hell! When she called him to complain he was apparently very patronising and said something along the lines of "To be fair love, it's designed to be trodden on". She also asked if it was second hand and he replied with "Oh no, we only ever sell brand new gear!"

Eventually he offered a replacement... Not of the pedal mind, he told her to pull off the knobs and send them back in the post! I suspect he only went this far in customer service because she emailed him from her work address, a fairly large law firm :lol:

I don't know what the guy is like in person or what his sales skills and knowledge about equipment are... But considering that expensive items are sent with non protective packing, and how shoddy the after sales service is, I won't be shopping there.

Wow, his thread has been much more mixed than I thought. I always thought that BD was universally loved, and it was The Gallery that had the grumpy service.

I've not met Mark in person, but will definitely pop in when I'm down that way next. Small online purchases have always been fine.

I have I I have spoken to Mark by phone, been into the shop, and exchanged quite a few emails over the last 6 months. Mark is a great guy and offers a fantastic service. I have bought 2 Vanderkley 212MNT's from him, a Babicz bridge, a Darkglass B7k, and part-ex'd a Markbass LMii, and 2 GK 112Neo's - all with out a glitch. Infact when I was dealing with Insurance companies following the loss of my rig Mark was only to happy to help me with supplying receipts, serial numbers etc, and helped my to replace some of my equipment. I have played Guitar and Bass for many many years, but I haven't dealt with a shop that delivers such a good "personal" service before. Absolute 100% Top Marks for Bass Direct.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389619029' post='2336128']
No.

Just go to check out the best selection of bass gear in the UK.
[/quote]

This!

Everyone should make a point of visiting BD at some point, if they can, it's well worth the trip.

After all, what's the worst that can happen? You don't [i][b]have[/b][/i] to buy anything! But you probably will! :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1389616962' post='2336089']
Wow, his thread has been much more mixed than I thought. I always thought that BD was universally loved, and it was The Gallery that had the grumpy service.

I've not met Mark in person, but will definitely pop in when I'm down that way next. Small online purchases have always been fine.
[/quote]

I've always found the guys in gallery to be pleasant to deal with too.

I guess I'm just universally adored :D

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1389814258' post='2338259']
I've always found the guys in gallery to be pleasant to deal with too.

[/quote]

+1

I've always found Alex to be really friendly, helpful & generally pleasant, I've spoken to Martin on the phone a few times, again, always been helpful.

[quote name='6MinsToBass' timestamp='1389618639' post='2336120']
I have I I have spoken to Mark by phone, been into the shop, and exchanged quite a few emails over the last 6 months. Mark is a great guy and offers a fantastic service. I have bought 2 Vanderkley 212MNT's from him, a Babicz bridge, a Darkglass B7k, and part-ex'd a Markbass LMii, and 2 GK 112Neo's - all with out a glitch. Infact when I was dealing with Insurance companies following the loss of my rig Mark was only to happy to help me with supplying receipts, serial numbers etc, and helped my to replace some of my equipment. I have played Guitar and Bass for many many years, but I haven't dealt with a shop that delivers such a good "personal" service before. Absolute 100% Top Marks for Bass Direct.
[/quote]

Not to detract from the guy - I've never had any contact with him, but his helping sort out your insurance claim may not have been purely altruistic, he had a potential large financial incentive to help out as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've emailed back and forth with Mark, I'll be straight up and say he seems downright rude, seems to have no idea about customer service and doesn't really pay that much attention to the rabble he's putting on the website either. Saw a EBMM Bongo on there labelled as a Stealth 5 when it was a gloss finish 4 string.

I can also honestly say, he's way overpriced and seems to think high end basses like Fodera, Alembic and Sadowsky for example are worth squat.

My take on things is, I want someone who is polite, someone who knows what they are talking about and are friendly to deal with when buying gear and bits.

I could not recommend the guys over at Bassgear more.

Edited by JazzBassfreak

That's interesting and makes a bit of sense.
I contacted Mark about a PJB Cub combo. He came back saying he had a double 4 and also listed a few others that might be portable/sound good etc which was what I was looking for. One of the suggestions was a TC250 208. When I emailed back asking for a bit more details. He seemed to be pushing me towards the TC and not the PJB combo. Saying something like 'you would be better with the 208' for words to that effect. At the time I thought it was sales talk as he might have wanted to get rid of the TC combo, but maybe he was just giving me good advice....

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1389708246' post='2337068']
This!

Everyone should make a point of visiting BD at some point, if they can, it's well worth the trip.

After all, what's the worst that can happen? You don't [i][b]have[/b][/i] to buy anything! But you probably will! :D
[/quote]

I was going to, but when I sent photos of a bass I wanted to trade, price I wanted against an expensive piece of kit, he came up short.
When I said how much I wanted, against something that was a tad on the priced high side, I allowed for the fact he would need to make about 33% on mine as well.
So for the sake of £50, he has lost profits of about £200 on mine and perhaps £400 on the one I was after.
He has also lost a returning customer.
So for me, not all rosy. :(

I have bought a fair amount of gear from Mark. Sometimes his advice is great others its just irritating but you gets the facts and a good range of gear the facts not widely stocked. Hence the Roscoe i have and love. Its all subjective we hear what we want to :) He had a guy helping last time i went in who was a bit of a cock. Greeted me with "Allah is with you" very odd proceeded to burble a load of bollox

Alex has always been ace but price wise The Gallery is premium London. Martins work and setups are top notch.

I was in there a few months ago and he had a guy working with him that put me right off too. There was a nice Spector custom US bolt on commission sale in there (its been on here too) and i was sniffing about for something new. After i expressed some interest in trying it alongside a couple of other basses, the village in there said it 'was only any good for thrash metal mate, i wouldnt bother'. I wasnt asking for his opinion, just to compare with a few others i had already tried.
I spent my £1500 elsewhere a few days later.
I was wondering if they were trying to deflect a commision sale into a full retail sale and considered contacting the owner on here to let him know what a crap job they were doing of selling his bass but it sold a short while after so i didnt bother.