Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

jgmh315

I've been buying basses from Mark and Bass Direct for years. I actually think he owes me shares in the company, now. I have to say that Mark has become a good friend and I enjoy catching up and chatting with him. I have had nothing but amazing, friendly and speedy service. He's always been fair, open and honest. I don't always agree with his opinions but I feel he's just trying to get people to see something that might not have been on their radar when going to buy new gear. I know that if I have an eye on something, I'll get a very honest opinion as to whether it would suit me and the type of music I play because, he knows what I like / dislike. That doesn't mean I'll always listen but, I will take it on board. Anyway, he'll always have my business and I would highly recommend Mark and Bass Direct to anyone. I also agree with a lot of comments here, phone ahead and if you can, deal with Mark specifically plus, take a credit card with a big spend limit :)

PS I think The Bass Gallery is a wonderful place too. The only reason I don't go there much is simply because of its location and lack of convenient parking. Martin and Alex were always amazing to deal with. We are lucky, as players, to have so many amazing places to indulge in our passion :)

I'm going to stick up for the lads in the shop here. I've dealt with Marcus a good few times and find him to be spot on. Nice lad as far as I'm concerned. I spoke to him on the phone today and I've no complaints.

I sometimes wonder just how much we expect from people and how we justify those expectations.

I've bought a few basses from Mark over the years including a Vigier Excess (which I subsequently decided I didn't like and let go), and an astonishingly minty '79 Precision (which I subsequently.....you get the picture. I recently went back for a lovely P/J which was advertised as a US. Played it, loved it, bought it. After getting it home and 'showing it off' on here (as you do), one erudite gentleman informed me that Fender hadn't made an active US P/J since the early '80's. Got on the phone to Mark who told me he'd done some research after taking it in and learned it might be a bitsa. Advert wasn't changed however and still said US. I e mailed Fender customer relations (didn't expect a response), but got one in less than 48 hours. Turns out the neck on my bass (which is US) left the factory on an Am Stnd. Only later was that neck 'aquainted' with what has to be a Mex body. Back on the phone to Mark who said if I wasn't satisfied I could take it back and get a full refund. I wanted to keep the bass as it's the best Fender I've played by far so he gave me some money back. Two points to make 1. Mark should have changed the Ad when he discovered it was probably a Bitsa but chose not too - draw your own conclusions about that and 2. I'm happy that I have a cracking Bass with some money back.

I recently drove 300miles down to Bass Direct and the young lad I believe is Marcus was very helpful. Mark knew I was coming down that day however he was tied up on a phone conversation when I walked in. Marcus asked me roughly what I was looking for and brought down every bass I suggested and laid them out on stands for me. Plugged in a headphone set and left me to it. After a while he came back thru and asked how I was getting on. Gave me his experience and views on the basses I was looking at. Seemed surprised when I said I didn't like the Spector bass. We talked a little more and he left me to it again. I eventually narrowed it down to either Dingwall Combustion or NG2. Marcus talked over what he thought were the main differences and uses for each and we more or less agreed on that. He asked me what type of music I was playing and he thought the NG2 would suit better. At that point Mark came thru and was as nice as nine-pence. You couldn't get a better host. We talked a while and he more or less repeated Marcus view on the 2 basses and we then plugged into a Vanderkley amp and cab for the final decision. I made my mind up that the NG2 was more what I was looking for altho playability was even on both. We talked a bit about the other basses in stock and all in all I would have to say and excellent experience. I enjoyed their company for couple of hrs and left with my NG2. Another 300 mile drive home and I would have to say I would do it again. Very helpful without being over-powering. I did also discuss various amps I was using and Mark voiced some opinions that I was already aware of about amp voicing. He obviously prefers the clean hi-fi amps but fully understood my choice of either Markbass Combo or Ampeg SVT4 with Berg HT322 cab. I would have to say that everyone should visit Bass Direct once in their life. Great experience just to look around even if not buying. Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

So I was in the market for a bass distortion... tried out the range. Marcus set them up and Mark looked over proceedings. Great range to try.. EBS and Darkglass notably. I think Mark is a prickly fish if you go in with a load of old school Fender mojo baloney. He's definitely from the new world of bass which is what are you wanting to do... here's the tools to do it... And there's no better choice in the UK for high end except perhaps the Gallery - close call.

All that said, he's never gonna shift that gold sparkle Mayones bass unless Prince comes in the store...

He called my favorite P bass an 'antique' when I was there ! His customer service was excellent though , my credit card wouldn't go through for some reason but let me take the vanderkley cab home anyway. He rang me the next day to say he'd sorted the payment . I was also able to try as much gear as I needed when there and not pushy at all , well recommended.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1444979679' post='2887733']
He called my favorite P bass an 'antique' when I was there!
[/quote]

I like this guy and I've never met him! Sounds like there is a bit of a Fawlty Towers era John Cleese in his character. Just can't help mentioning the war!

I have added a visit to Bass Direct to my bucket list.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1444937420' post='2887561']
So I was in the market for a bass distortion... tried out the range. Marcus set them up and Mark looked over proceedings. Great range to try.. EBS and Darkglass notably. I think Mark is a prickly fish if you go in with a load of old school Fender mojo baloney. He's definitely from the new world of bass which is what are you wanting to do... here's the tools to do it... [b]And there's no better choice in the UK for high end except perhaps the Gallery - close call.[/b]

All that said, he's never gonna shift that gold sparkle Mayones bass unless Prince comes in the store...
[/quote]

I'd be pretty sure you could add BassGear to that..

Edited by JTUK