Why become a member? ×

Getting a bass from the UK to Dublin.

fatgoogle

Some exciting news in the works possibly resulting in a new bass.

Anyway I'm trying to figure out the best way to possible get a bass from Birmingham to Dublin safely. I don't have a car is the main problem first of all.

I'm thinking at the moment, train from Birmingham to Holyhead and a ferry over to Dublin. Waiting to see how happy the maker (from around the Birmingham area) is with that idea though.

Just trying to come up with other ways to get the bass over to Dublin for a trial?

Any help/idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Cheers rev. Didn't think of one if those. If still probably train/ferry it back to be on the safe side.

Tinyd- sent if email to Virgin rail last night and have been doing a hell if a lot of googling. Pretty mixed answers.

I could fly over with my case and then train it back. Would a case be too bulky to get in the hold??

A case would be fine in the hold. Might have to pay for the access baggage weight though?

I was talking to an American bassist who was on tour in the UK & Europe- he said that he bought a gear4music type case at the start of each tour as you void pick them up cheap on eBay. They were sturdy enough to last for a couple of weeks on the road and he threw them away when he got home.

Anyone Ever able to get a useful answer out of Virgin Trains? They can't seem to tell me if i need to book an extra ticket for it or if i can just turn up and hop on.

EDIT: Virgin Trains have now told me no, i cant bring a double bass on their trains. Im really not too familiar with other train companies in the UK.

London Midlands seem to playing fair now.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1389871453' post='2338840']
Never crossed my mind to rent a car, presume it's expensive? Also not sure if ive had my full license for long enough. Two years?
[/quote]

Car hire in UK is pretty cheap if you shop around. Just find one with a drop-off place at the ferry terminal.

I don't know about the licence thing. As long as it's full and you're over 21 it should be ok. Give a few companies a ring and try. It won't be a lot more expensive than the train (check the mileage charges though), and probably a lot safer for the bass.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1389992673' post='2340446']
Car is too expensive. Under 21 and all that jazz. Any one taken a train in Virgin trains and not had trouble. My emails with them imply they won't play ball and be nice
[/quote]

What a pain. The only thing I can think of is that you could make sure that your train is at an off-peak time and hope that the conductor doesn't mind/care. As long as you're not in anyone's way I can't see anyone minding, although I'm fully prepared to admit that reason and logic don't always apply to train conductors....

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1389992673' post='2340446']
Car is too expensive. Under 21 and all that jazz. Any one taken a train in Virgin trains and not had trouble. My emails with them imply they won't play ball and be nice
[/quote]

I'm assuming you just want to give the bass a proper workout before you buy or have i got that wrong? What if you don't like it and you have to send it back? Would you be better just staying in B. for a few days?

Edited by fatback

Are the flights cheap? I have an old Rufus Reid book that shows how to bring a bass onto a plane (upside down with shoulder on seat, head towards the floor) if you could get the cheapest flight with a budget airline it might work?

Living near Belfast I have often wondered what I'll do when I graduate to a decent bass. Watching this thread with interest!

Im pretty sure you cant fly with a bass in the cabin anymore, safety hazards and i wouldn't dream of it going in the hold without a hardcase. I've opted for train and ferry, it'll be annoying and slow but i should get the bass home unharmed. Read the Rufus Reid book as well and it would be great if i could do that. Even paying for two seats on an Aer lingus or Ryanair flight would be cheaper then the above.

And fatback, i just wouldn't be happy playing a bass for a few days and then paying, going to bring it to rehearsal and concerts and see how it sits with an orchestra. Also maybe in the end it would feel comfortable to begin with but after a while find flaws or awkward stretches that just make the bass to annoying to enjoy playing.

It's a Bryant by the way, going to go try a George Panorma and a John Lott bass. Luckily my teacher has both of these so i have a bit of an idea but you never about different tolerances or slight changes.

regarding Ferry - Stenaline (Holyhead/Dublin) - they wont allow the DB to be carried on by hand, it *must* go into the hold and of course they wont guarantee it.
Know this as I tried to bring one by hand before and decided at the last minute to leave it behind as I didnt want to chance it in the hold without a hard case.
If it was me I'd either try to find someone going over by car who could fit it in, or as per other suggestions here get a cheap hard-case and get it couriered.
safer / insurable / less hassle etc.
good luck with it!

Even with a solid case i still wouldnt trust anyone with my kit, ive see how the baggage chuckers work in Heathrow 5.
the idea of someone with a car heading over is a good one.

If you had a screaming kid in a buggy it would be less hassle yet the bass would be less noise, take up less space and smell better.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1390230601' post='2342871']
I'm been in contact with stenaline and they say I can bring it aboard but say I may have to put it in the luggage room on the ship which I can carry it in and secure if it's not quite.
[/quote]

I'd get a name and phone number - I approached the desk in Holyhead with a bass and was not allowed to bring it through myself, therefore gave it back to the person dropping me to the ferry to bring back until I was over again with a car.

Following from the suggestions above, would it be worth sticking a request on boards.ie or gumtree looking for transport (with an as yet unspecified :)) instrument?

I do think the hard case and courier might end up being the safest though. Let's face it, valuable basses get sent round the world all the time.

Edited by fatback

• 4 weeks later...