Why become a member? ×

Smallest car (cheap insurance) that you can fit a double bass in?

SevenSeas

Just as the title says, what is the smallest car you can fit a double bass in?

Recently looked at getting a 1st time car, (well... whenever I save enough money) but need something cheap to insure (normally smaller in size and engine) any ideas?

The Ford Ka is very popular however I doubt you can fit a double bass in one? (Seats removed of course)

Convertible smart, just open the top and put the double bass standing in the seat next to you :)

[url="http://www.chickenfatklezmer.com/2009/10/smart-transportation/"]http://www.chickenfa...transportation/[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvI3QVjlv8

Edited by dudi8

Engine size is not the only thing to consider to keep insurance premiums down.

Diesel cars are usually cheaper to insure than equivalent petrol ones (I think because they are potentially less boy racery)
Lower spec models without the spangley alloys etc may be a bit cheaper.
If you can find something that has no potential as a hot hatch this will help too.

So something like a Vauxhall Meriva or Audi A2 may be a good choice?

Honda Jazz, Fiat Idea and Ford Fusion are all very practical and cheap to run (some are a little less glamourous than others but this is good for keeping insurance down)!

Hope this helps!

*Edit - Volkswagen Fox, Vauxhall Agila or Suzuki Wagon R+ would do the job at a good price too.*

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

I currently drive a Fiesta, and besides a few years of a luxuriously large Xantia estate the previous cars were a Fiat Punto and Rover Metro.
The record in the Punto was three of us (each safely seat-belted) plus the DB and amplification, plus the 3rd chap's guitar in hardcase!
Split rear seats are really good for that kind of activity.
The Punto tailgate was steep enough to allow the DB to stand on its side, whereas the Fiesta only allows mine to lay flat in the back.. max 2 people including driver!

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1389690709' post='2336867']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvI3QVjlv8[/media]
[/quote]

Yikes !! :blink: Laying a bass in a car with the scroll/neck supporting the weight of the bass is not a good idea - hope there weren't any pot holes or speed bumps on the way home! Choose your car wisely !

I used to drive a Vauxhall Agila which was cracking for carrying gear...not much good for anything else :lol: Then a VW Polo which you can still get two DBs in!!

Have a look at the Mercedes A Class too, I currently run an A170L CDi and it's like a van once the seats are clipped out! Take a look at the A140 petrol and you'll be surprised at how insurable it is. Also despite what a lot of people think, it WILL NOT FALL OVER! That was a cock up with a Swedish motoring magazine fitting incorrect tyres to the car. Merc then went and stiffened everything up anyway so make sure it'll never happen again :)

I managed to get my old 4/4 double bass in my ex-wife's VW Fox with relative ease. I should add this is not necessarily a reason why she is now an ex-wife. I think you'll find most small cars will take an upright bass if you sacrifice things like comfort...and hopefully not safety too much!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a mk3 polo (last of the square ones... '93 K reg) as my 1st car. Parcel shelf out, back seats down and headstock between the front seats. Easy. ... and if it's a regular thing, that's the way I'd load, rather than faffing in the front seat.

Best I achieved with that was 1 double bass, 1 cello, 1 acoustic guitar, mandolin, and mate sat in the front seat eating his dinner on route to a pub folk session.

Upshot for me: Hatchback, split rear seats if possible. 5 door can make life easier, but certainly not vital! Then the car with the lowest insurance premium in the best condition (the longer you spend fixing broken cars, the less time you spend playing bass!)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are prepared to drive with the scroll of the bass between the front seats (I don't even know if that is legal) then in my experience, any hatchback with folding down rear seats will accommodate a bass. My friend can get hers in a Mini Traveller. Try it before you buy the car

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1392282377' post='2366687']
Hi folks,
I'm surprised you can get a DB into some of these cars
Is there much room for amplification in any of the cars listed above as well?

I ask because I may be changing my car in the next few months.....
[/quote]

Short answer here will be that you could "hero" plenty into supermini class cars... but the older you get, the less valid it is - (insurance gets cheaper, and big cars are often cheaper than small) and the less you want to mess about!

After my polo days, I moved on to a '92 mk2 scirocco - again, lots of hero-ing big gear in, towbar fitted, trailer (for the drum kit - we had a drummer who didn't drive), more gear.....

Life starts to feel short after a gig though - OK, so the band helps carry gear out, but you know it'll only fit in the car 1 way, it's raining, you've just played for 2 or 3 hours, the gear's all stacked on the pavement getting wet....

So I bought a '95 passat estate. TDI engine, so 50+ MPG, insurance is under £300, parts are cheap, 3/4 bass in a soft case fits in without the headstock even encroaching on the front seat area, enough room for a 4x10, head, a few monitors, PA cabs etc.

I'll still happily chuck the bass in Mrs Fonzooorooo's mk2 golf with a little combo for practice nights, but if you have the option, go big!