Why become a member? ×

TC electronic bass amp toneprints

littlethoughts

Are there many tc bass amp users here? I have a BH250 which I like a lot and thought I'd share a few of my favourite toneprints:
Tubedrive - just a nice drive sound.
a little grit - obvious.
spectracomp - an amazing string by string compressor.
clean octaver - obvious.
octasweep - synthy-octave with a sort of swept throb.
variato - nice vibrato with oppositely mapped depth and rate - slow and deep, fast and shallow.

Not so keen on:
alienator
octasynth
Both are octave based effects but just sound a bit too modulated to me, rather than filtered-synth-ness.

I'd quite like to be able to switch between two effects quickly though, which you can do with the switch-3 footswitch. I'd assume that both effects would read the current toneprint pot position though - can anyone confirm this?

What I'd be really excited by, though, would be the ability to write your own toneprints as you now can for the pedals. Given that a lot of the effects feature multiple components, it might be really cool to stack them (with the regular pedal editor you are able to use the modulation engine on both the delay and reverb to make pure modulation effects, should you so wish, so it's probably not beyond the realms of possibility).

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1389877139' post='2338945']
When I had a BH500 i keep everything flat and only adjust the spectracomp and tuber drive to my taste.
[/quote]

I was the same with my Classic 450 - worked a treat with a Precision, sitting just right, very Ampeggy I thought.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1389877139' post='2338945']
When I had a BH500 i keep everything flat and only adjust the spectracomp and tuber drive to my taste.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389878483' post='2338991']
I was the same with my Classic 450 - worked a treat with a Precision, sitting just right, very Ampeggy I thought.
[/quote]
This. Personally I have no desire for extra bells and whistels.

Anyone thought about rattling TC's cage about this? And aren't they site sponsors?

• 1 year later...

Hi all - -just to add a note here, the Digitech FS3x is a budget way into the footswitch workings oif the TC Electronics BG and BH amps. Half the price of their own branded footswitch, and works perfectly. Switches are fairly close together, but no more than most of these setips

You could make your own footswitch for a tenner, especially if you didn't want the mute:

Here's a video on how to make one:

[media]http://youtu.be/Pb-4WJDYqNM[/media]

For no mute, miss out the middle part of the circuit with the 2 diodes and the switch. The two switches are momentary switches, not latching..... and it will still mute if you press both switches together. ( I've made one.)

However; the big downside is you can't run LEDs off it 'cos they're momentary switches. You can, using the switches, turn either effect on and off, and you can also flip from one effect to the other. Without the LEDs I wasn't prepared to use it live.

The effects 'remember' the toneprint pot position that you stored, so you can flip between two effects that have different pot positions. If you then tweak the pot while that effect is on then it will jump to the new pot position.

I really like the 'Shakubu' Vibrato.

Edited by ColinB

OK, my time to weigh in.

Bought a BH800 before Christmas. Compared to the weight of my old 4U rack, it's a dream. (I still have the old gear.) Tend to use it flat tonally and have the Duff Chorus and SpectraComp on the two TonePrint channels, albeit used sparingly. As of yet I've not found anything to replicate the input tone of my Sansamp BDDI, so at present I'm still using that for dirt.

TCE don't seem to be too interested in entering into conversational poop with end users; there's loads of open questions on their forum (there isn't even a proper forum for BH users!).

By the way of positives, it's light, loud and sounds pretty decent without the Sansamp. Interestingly, it's possible to blend the pickups from my Rick into the front and rear inputs. Negatives? Not enough dirty patches and there's been hardly any new TonePrints in the last three months. The BH800 is supposed to be their flagship bass amp, but will only accept TonePrints written specifically for it. The drive options are pretty poor/unusable for me, so the BDDI stays in my gigbag.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1427838700' post='2735006']
<snip> The drive options are pretty poor/unusable for me......
[/quote]

I agree. I also wish they did a reverb and/or delay set of tone prints for the amps, especially as they're what you'd want at the end of your effects chain.

• 10 months later...

I use the BG250-208 for home practice. It is very 'convenient', size, shape, weight, built in tuner. I have the 'spectracomp' loaded & at about 10'oclock I find the sound thickens out really well for a 2 x 8".

I think It may well be just the ticket for the 5 piece jazz band I play with.