Why become a member? ×

eBay's "Global Postage Programme"...

lowregisterhead

Just a little bit of background on eBay's shiny new 'Global Postage Programme', which some of you may have seen as the preferred method of shipping on some US auctions in the last couple of months.

I've just received a bass I bought from a eBay seller in the States, who sent it using the new eBay system. It was a bit unclear how it all worked, but the idea of paying all the shipping and duty up front to speed things along, so no hoops would need to be jumped though to get through customs etc., seemed a good concept in theory. Unsurprisingly, it was a little different in practice.

Let's start with the good bit - I received the bass today, and it's great! The seller shipped the bass on the 8th of January from their shop in North Carolina, and sent me a message to say it was on a 2-day service. Wow, I thought, that's fast. What then became clear was it was on a 2-day service to eBay's International Shipping Center in Erlanger, Kentucky. Via my eBay account, I could see it had arrived there on 11th January. 3 days then, but never mind. There were a couple of other entries the same day, 'processing' then 'customs documentation', then silence. Yesterday, it was finally shown as shipped internationally.

Another shipping number appeared today, showing it was in the UK with a company called Citipost. With nothing further to go on, I called them, but was told they were just a handling company, and the parcel had been transferred to Yodel for final delivery. At this point I was seriously worried, for the reasons described here: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/10/yodel-worst-parcel-delivery

Citipost gave me a phone number for Yodel, which had an announcement saying it had been discontinued, so in desperation I checked their webpage using the reference number Citipost had given me, and lo and behold, it was out for delivery to me today. I was in and out of the house all day, so left notes on the door, alerted the neighbours etc., but nothing came. Then about 7pm, I was upstairs and thought I heard a light tapping at the front door. I should add that I live in a detached house with a large and very obvious entryphone panel right beside the front door, but they didn't use that for some reason. I shot downstairs and could see a large box propped up against the glass, so I opened the door, and was just in time to see the driver getting into his van out in the street. He saw me, and pointing to the box, mouthed 'parcel'. If I'd been 5 seconds later, he'd have gone, leaving the best part of 2 grands worth of bass on the doorstep. No signature was required, apparently.

Despite eBay's assurance that the item is their responsibility as soon as they receive it from the seller, and that it's fully covered against loss, damage, and any other mishap, if there are yawning gaps in the tracking, they use the cheapest and worst delivery agents in the destination country, and they dump valuable items on the doorstep after dark without even waiting to see if anyone is in, I'm seriously unimpressed!

It leaves me feeling that despite having received my goods unscathed, frankly I got lucky. Anyone else used this scheme?

I get twitchy about buying instrument on UK EBay. It would take a very brave mood for me to even entertain the idea of buying a bass from eBay from the US. US online shops is a different matter, and I think a couple of those offer such a scheme.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390001135' post='2340541']
I've just received a bass I bought from a eBay seller in the States, who sent it using the new eBay system. It was a bit unclear how it all worked, but the idea of paying all the shipping and duty up front to speed things along, so no hoops would need to be jumped though to get through customs etc.
[/quote]
How did going through the eBay Global Postage Programme compare to if you had imported it yourself? Was it cheaper or more expensive?

Edited by BetaFunk

Yodel have proven themselves several times with me for bring the worst postage company out there. They're just awful, hopefully everyone will just go over to DPD as they're great!

Did the actual process of paying for everything up front work out ok though?

I'm thinking of buying from the us as the fx rates are so good at the moment so would be good to know...

Edited by Lw.

I've bought plenty of parts from the US (but never a whole bass) without any problems whatsoever. But then I've never bought an item shipped by GPP; it's always been USPS Priority Mail or similar.

The US Parcel Service itself is great in my experience. Super fast, reliable, regularly updated tracking... It's a state run operation and very well organised.

The delays start when things reach the UK. Which is no different to sending/receiving stuff on home turf.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390040068' post='2340715']
How did going through the eBay Global Postage Programme compare to if you had imported it yourself? Was it cheaper or more expensive?
[/quote]

I've imported a number of basses from the States over the years. By my calculations, the GPP charges were exactly the same as the import duty and VAT I would have had to pay to receive the goods myself. That said, the shipping costs were a little on the high side. When the item first appeared on eBay, GPP wasn't being offered, and on contacting the seller they quoted me $190 to ship insured using their own carrier. The price of the bass was a bit too high anyway, and it didn't sell. They relisted it at a lower price, at which point GPP was introduced to the listing, but shipping was $225.

All in all, it worked out fine cost-wise, as I had none of the hoopla and delays of waiting for customs clearance and then having to pay the duty before the bass is released to me. My only concern is the lack of tracking and the pitiful method of final delivery!

I'm assuming eBay are making money on the whole shipping process by cutting costs to the bone by using the cheapest delivery agents throughout, but that will undoubtedly end in tears for some unfortunate buyers. As I said, I think I've been lucky, and I won't use GPP again. Whether sellers have the option to ship the item themselves if the listing stipulates GPP and the buyer doesn't want to use it, I don't know. I'm guessing that eBay give the seller a financial incentive to use GPP in the first place.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1390041597' post='2340746']
Did the actual process of paying for everything up front work out ok though?

I'm thinking of buying from the us as the fx rates are so good at the moment so would be good to know...
[/quote]

The procedure of paying import duties is straight forward enough - you just get a letter from the delivering agent asking you to pay up before they will release the item. A rough method of calculating what you'll end up paying is to add about 25% to the combined cost of purchase and shipping.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390080564' post='2341325']
I've imported a number of basses from the States over the years. By my calculations, the GPP charges were exactly the same as the import duty and VAT I would have had to pay to receive the goods myself. That said, the shipping costs were a little on the high side. When the item first appeared on eBay, GPP wasn't being offered, and on contacting the seller they quoted me $190 to ship insured using their own carrier. The price of the bass was a bit too high anyway, and it didn't sell. They relisted it at a lower price, at which point GPP was introduced to the listing, but shipping was $225.

All in all, it worked out fine cost-wise, as I had none of the hoopla and delays of waiting for customs clearance and then having to pay the duty before the bass is released to me. My only concern is the lack of tracking and the pitiful method of final delivery!

I'm assuming eBay are making money on the whole shipping process by cutting costs to the bone by using the cheapest delivery agents throughout, but that will undoubtedly end in tears for some unfortunate buyers. As I said, I think I've been lucky, and I won't use GPP again. Whether sellers have the option to ship the item themselves if the listing stipulates GPP and the buyer doesn't want to use it, I don't know. I'm guessing that eBay give the seller a financial incentive to use GPP in the first place.
[/quote]
That's very interesting. I've imported a good number of items from the U.S. over the years but never using the eBay Global system so that information is good to know. Thanks.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390078021' post='2341287']The US Parcel Service itself is great in my experience. Super fast, reliable, regularly updated tracking... It's a state run operation and very well organised.[/quote]

Very much +1
I recently sent a very important package to Nashville. The Post Office here screwed up & didn't send it trackable in any way, I was panic-stricken that it would be lost - as has every single non-tracked package I ever sent to the US until then. It was delivered there by a USPS guy after 10 days from posting. I've sent stuff "International Signed For" at three times the cost which has taken a month to arrive.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1390078021' post='2341287']
I've bought plenty of parts from the US (but never a whole bass) without any problems whatsoever. But then I've never bought an item shipped by GPP; it's always been USPS Priority Mail or similar.

The US Parcel Service itself is great in my experience. Super fast, reliable, regularly updated tracking... It's a state run operation and very well organised.
[b]
The delays start when things reach the UK. Which is no different to sending/receiving stuff on home turf.[/b]
[/quote]
Yeah, I once bought a camp bed from Cabella's and it was interesting to see it take 3 days to get from America to Scotland and then 10 days to get to the Midlands from there.

Sigh…word of warning, folks.

I am in the middle of a MASSIVE HASSLE to fix someone else's mistake. The Ebay Customs thing is what is turning this from a simple thing to solve to a major problem.

I bought a pair of jeans from the US and paid for customs and duties through Ebay. This means that the seller is given an address in the US to which to send stuff and this central place takes care of relabelling and shipping.

I then receive an email from the seller stating that she has accidentally sent me a vase. How one would muddle up the two boxes is beyond me, but there you go.

I call Ebay to see what to do. If I collect the vase, how will I get the customs fees refunded to me, how will I get the return postage refunded etc etc. Ebay initially tried to tell me that they will not "shoulder the costs of the import fees" and tried to fob me off. It looks like I am going to be screwed here. They expect me to pick up this vase, relabel it and send it back. Upon receipt, I will then be refunded at least what the seller took off me. Whether I will get the customs charges refunded is a mystery.

I would try and choose standard p&p and take care of the import fees yourselves if I were you, at least until Ebay trains its staff to deal with problems arising from this new thing!

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1390130666' post='2341693']

I am in the middle of a MASSIVE HASSLE to fix someone else's mistake. The Ebay Customs thing is what is turning this from a simple thing to solve to a major problem.

I bought a pair of jeans from the US and paid for customs and duties through Ebay. This means that the seller is given an address in the US to which to send stuff and this central place takes care of relabelling and shipping.

I then receive an email from the seller stating that she has accidentally sent me a vase. How one would muddle up the two boxes is beyond me, but there you go.

I call Ebay to see what to do. If I collect the vase, how will I get the customs fees refunded to me, how will I get the return postage refunded etc etc. Ebay initially tried to tell me that they will not "shoulder the costs of the import fees" and tried to fob me off. It looks like I am going to be screwed here. They expect me to pick up this vase, relabel it and send it back. Upon receipt, I will then be refunded at least what the seller took off me. Whether I will get the customs charges refunded is a mystery.

I would try and choose standard p&p and take care of the import fees yourselves if I were you, at least until Ebay trains its staff to deal with problems arising from this new thing!
[/quote]

expect the worst. my recent experiences showed me that eBay will do their utmost to discourage you and waste your time, in the hope that you give up and go away (without your money). In my case it worked, I could not be bothered pursuing it and chose to move on, £17 poorer.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1390130666' post='2341693']

[/quote]

I would try leaning heavily on the seller and insisting they send the original item at their expense - it was their mistake after all. The vase is their property, and they should have to arrange for its return, not you. If they won't play ball, don't accept delivery of the vase, open a dispute through eBay for an item not recieved, and leave them to sort it out. You've bought and paid for jeans - that's what you should get, and if they don't arrive you should receive a full refund.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390142549' post='2341840']
I would try leaning heavily on the seller and insisting they send the original item at their expense - it was their mistake after all. The vase is their property, and they should have to arrange for its return, not you. If they won't play ball, don't accept delivery of the vase, open a dispute through eBay for an item not recieved, and leave them to sort it out. You've bought and paid for jeans - that's what you should get, and if they don't arrive you should receive a full refund.
[/quote]

+1 Its not your mistake

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390142549' post='2341840']
[/quote]
[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1390143499' post='2341855']
+1 Its not your mistake
[/quote]

Thanks for the support, fellas. I know that this is not [i]my[/i] mistake. The problem is this: I paid (x + y) for the jeans, x being the price of jeans plus postage and y being the extra postage and customs charges. The seller received x. Ebay received y. The worry is that the seller will only (or even only be able to) refund x and Ebay will say that I received the package etc etc.

Anyway, it seems that the seller is very keen to make this work…probably as she sold the vase for 6x! [size=4]Thank Heavens that my seller is willing to pay all costs plus a bit for the inconvenience, as Ebay made it rather apparent that they are going to do nothing about it. [/size]

The initial purpose of my post - to highlight that the Ebay Global Posting Programme will likely leave you high if there is a problem - still stands. Be advised! I, for one, will be avoiding it for the foreseeable.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1390144274' post='2341866']
Thanks for the support, fellas. I know that this is not [i]my[/i] mistake. The problem is this: I paid (x + y) for the jeans, x being the price of jeans plus postage and y being the extra postage and customs charges. The seller received x. Ebay received y. The worry is that the seller will only (or even only be able to) refund x and Ebay will say that I received the package etc etc.

Anyway, it seems that the seller is very keen to make this work…probably as she sold the vase for 6x! Thank Heavens that my seller is willing to pay all costs plus a bit for the inconvenience, as Ebay made it rather apparent that they are going to do nothing about it.

The initial purpose of my post - to highlight that the Ebay Global Posting Programme will likely leave you high if there is a problem - still stands. Be advised! I, for one, will be avoiding it for the foreseeable.
[/quote]

Fair point - I hadn't thought about that! OK, how about this - if the vase is valuable, take delivery of it, and hold on to it until the seller sends you the jeans PLUS the cost of returning the vase to them. If they can't or don't want to, at least you have a quite nice vase you can sell to recoup your losses... it sounds like your seller is going the extra mile though, so perhaps ransom demands may not be necessary! :)

Edited by lowregisterhead

As a footnote, I sent the seller of the bass a message saying it had arrived, and I was very happy with it, but also highlighting the shortcomings of eBay's GPP. They replied saying they would not use it again. Here's hoping the whole scheme will flounder. Unfortunately I fear there would have to be a lot of unpleasantness for a lot of buyers along the way before it does.

• 3 weeks later...

As a little update to this...

Ebay have said that they would refund me what I paid for customs etc (i.e. the "y" mentioned above), although I am still waiting for this to arrive after a week.

At this moment, the seller refunded me x + y, Ebay will refund me y, I have the vase in a cupboard awaiting Ebay's refund (which will cover postage costs back to the US) and the seller has said she is willing to send me the jeans anyway. She will not be using the Global Postage Programme again.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1391849389' post='2361914']
As a little update to this...

Ebay have said that they would refund me what I paid for customs etc (i.e. the "y" mentioned above), although I am still waiting for this to arrive after a week.

At this moment, the seller refunded me x + y, Ebay will refund me y, I have the vase in a cupboard awaiting Ebay's refund (which will cover postage costs back to the US) and the seller has said she is willing to send me the jeans anyway. She will not be using the Global Postage Programme again.
[/quote]

Good news, well almost! Just out of interest, is it a nice vase? :)