Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

Thomann already sell some of their products as B stock, which I always guessed were online returns or demonstrators. But, they're now selling instruments as 'Decoarations'. I've seen this for their acoustic basses, but have now noticed it for solid body basses as well
I wonder how much is wrong with them.

Edited by MB1

Gear4Music sell some instruments on ebay in utterly appalling condition. So they could be knackered. But it could be that they just want to make sure that they don't have any legal obligations as to the item's fitness for purpose, and that they might be repairable. But, 'broken truss rod' does come to mind. At that price, you could buy two and hope that you can make a good bass while still having spare bits left over.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390086153' post='2341408']
Basses as decoration only?

Just like the majority of vintage basses that end up in collections then. :)
[/quote]

Ooooh! :D

To be fair, the hope of buying two and making one good one will only save you £20, I'm sure those Jazz's are only £100 anyway.

And whilst Gear4Music were mentioned, what the hell do they do to their stock? It puts me off ever buying anything off them if they treat stuff that badly.

I guess they aren't anywhere near playable, therefore can't be sold as usable instruments. Would be good if they actually said what was wrong with it. Maybe it's an amalgamation of factory seconds that would otherwise have been binned.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1390088421' post='2341438']
And whilst Gear4Music were mentioned, what the hell do they do to their stock? It puts me off ever buying anything off them if they treat stuff that badly.
[/quote]

If you import instruments by the thousand, and they arrive in cardboard boxes which have been stacked 15 high in containers, it's pretty much inevitable that you'll have a significant number of them damaged in transit.

It's not just basses. If you search for, say, cellos you'll find the same thing ... plenty get here from China with the headstock snapped off.

• 9 months later...

I've seen a number reviews of decoration only purchases in various places, e.g. on the German music forum. Most people seem happy with what they get, although they often report some work they had to do on the bass, and cosmetic issues that don't affect playability. With your purchase of an acoustic bass, the risks are perhaps higher than for a solid body electric bass. But then your legal rights mean that if you get something that is truly 'decoration only', then you should be able to return it under the law whose name I keep forgetting which has replaced the distance selling regulations.

I bought a Jazz 75 a while back and the only fault was a few sharp frets. Maybe because of this it's not "Playable out the Box" so
because it needed a little work they can't sell it as an instrument.I think the definition is " Fit for Purpose "

Don't know how you would return something not fit to hang on the wall though,maybe the marked ones sell as B-stock and the ones
with QC faults go as decoration only.

Would that cover them regards the return policy AT ?

Oh Jewey hope yours arrives in good nick and just needs a wee tweek

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1414925667' post='2594634']
I bought a Jazz 75 a while back and the only fault was a few sharp frets. Maybe because of this it's not "Playable out the Box" so
because it needed a little work they can't sell it as an instrument.I think the definition is " Fit for Purpose "

Don't know how you would return something not fit to hang on the wall though,maybe the marked ones sell as B-stock and the ones
with QC faults go as decoration only.

Would that cover them regards the return policy AT ?

Oh Jewey hope yours arrives in good nick and just needs a wee tweek
[/quote]

Selling them as decoration only should mean that people can't return them under the Sale of Goods Act. In that they only have to be fit for the purpose of decoration. However, I believe that you can return them under the terms Consumer Contract Regulations (2013).

There are two ways that you can return things. You can return them because they're faulty, not fit for purpose. Or, if you buy stuff at a distance such as across the internet, then you can return them within a short time for any reason you want.

I'm sure someone on the German music forum returned a 'decoration only' item with no problems.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1415041281' post='2596034']
There's been a thread somewhere on here where someone bought a "décor only" bass from Thomann and it was absolutely fine, only some tiny visual faults.
[/quote]
Some of the items have close up photos showing the defects. There were a couple of acoustic HB basses with a 10p sized dent in the back, for example.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1415041906' post='2596045']
Some of the items have close up photos showing the defects. There were a couple of acoustic HB basses with a 10p sized dent in the back, for example.
[/quote]

Amazing when you compare what Thomann sells us 'Decoration only' to what Gear4Music sells as 'damaged' on ebay.

Edited by MB1

The pictures they show are the "D" they stamp on them for decoration. My Jazz bass has one on the body and one on the neck,
must be a measure to stop folk pulling a fast one and swapping bits then selling them as B-stock.

They do seem cheap compared to Gear4Music and in better shape too.

Still fingers crossed jewey

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine last week and I have to say, for £45 its just amazing!

There is a slight buzz where the 3rd frets would be but otherwise it plays perfect after a little truss rod adjustment.

Electrics all fine too - I am actually struggling to work out how its been sold as decoration.

Very very happy with my deal :)