Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1427387490' post='2729790']
Well, I have just had an email from Thomann to ell me that the guitar I ordered is no longer available and an order could not be generated for you.

NOT IMPRESSED!

Although Mrs S can be heard giggling faintly in the background...
[/quote]

This has happened quite a lot. I've received a shipping confirmation for mine, so I presume that's OK. But, it seems that their computer systems are not robust enough.

You ordered yours at 9:36am or before. I don't know how long after that they sold out as I was in transit after that and not online.

One thing: What happens if the disappearing deko is part of a bigger order, made to dilute the shipping cost? I presume that in that case, the rest of the order will ship, and the shipping cost will be less diluted.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427388621' post='2729807']
This has happened quite a lot. I've received a shipping confirmation for mine, so I presume that's OK. But, it seems that their computer systems are not robust enough.

One thing: What happens if the disappearing deko is part of a bigger order, made to dilute the shipping cost? I presume that in that case, the rest of the order will ship, and the shipping cost will be less diluted.
[/quote]

No idea on that, however in "Cutting off your nose to spite your face land" where I live they would get told in no uncertain terms where they can "deliver" the rest of their order to!

(clue: it's not my house...)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427388621' post='2729807']

You ordered yours at 9:36am or before. I don't know how long after that they sold out as I was in transit after that and not online.

[/quote]

I ordered one of the PJ5's just before Chris (think it was about 9.15am). I've just received an email saying that unfortunately the item is no longer available
Oh well never mind - I may need a 5 string shortly for a band reunion so I might order one at the full price anyway.

Thanks for the heads up though Mr Twit!

For those of you who bought a PJ5 you won't be disappointed. I have one (not a deko) which I have gigged and its a genuinely decent bass. The only negatives I found were the nasty printed red tort pickguard which looks like raw beef (I covered mine with adhesive vinyl straight away) and the weak pups (output is pretty low but nothing wrong with the tone).

Really wish I'd seen then this morning at that price as I'd have loved one to go to town on modding it up :(

Edited by Painy

I have just had an email apology from someone at Thomann regarding my cancelled order. Apparently they only had one of the PJ5's and it sold before I placed my order but apparently their computer only updates once every hour.

That doesn't sound right to me?

They did offer to put that toy Warwick to one side for me if I wanted it....

.....errr No.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427449549' post='2730428']
Did anybody see the dekos this morning? I was away from my computer. They included a HB60 semi hollow, and a standard jazz bass. But, gone in 35 seconds. The lot.
[/quote]

If they were ever there at all.... don't forget, it's all about getting hits on their site - the more activity they generate, the better the site will be ranked in Google. They only need you and 100 others checking 4 times a day to get a nice bump up in the Google ranking.

I wonder how many folk get the same email that Chris Sharman got?

Classical dekos!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/decorative_guitars_and_basses.html"]http://www.thomann.d...and_basses.html[/url]

EDIT: This is a higher priced (higher quality I"d presume) classical electro-acoustic with a Fishman pickup. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_santos_series_c_40scedeko.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...c_40scedeko.htm[/url]

I didn't mention the L-450 plus Les Paul in my initial version of this post. As I predicted, it was gone before I could even post. Gone in 41 seconds. Classicals still around eight minutes on.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1427461371' post='2730653']
If they were ever there at all.... don't forget, it's all about getting hits on their site - the more activity they generate, the better the site will be ranked in Google. They only need you and 100 others checking 4 times a day to get a nice bump up in the Google ranking.

I wonder how many folk get the same email that Chris Sharman got?
[/quote]

That is an interesting view Grangur. It does give a plausible explanation for what is going on. I'm sure that there would be 100 people checking frequently.

Chris's email that they only ever had one PJ5 is interesting given that I have received no apology email, and now have tracking for my order including a PJ5. It is clearly not true that their database only updates once an hour as instruments can appear and then disappear within seconds. If their database only updated once an hour, then instruments should stay on the site at least an hour.

Looking at this thread, people have been receiving instruments with nothing wrong with them. Has Thomann been finding that they've run out of stock and sometimes been D stamping some B stock to fulfil the orders? Clearly not all the time as the 'apology email' result has been happening for some time. Has anyone who ordered a deko and received an apology email ever had other stuff in their order as well? I'm wondering if the nature of the order might influence Thomann to treat people differently.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1427461371' post='2730653']
They only need you and 100 others checking 4 times a day to get a nice bump up in the Google ranking.
[/quote]

Only if they came via a Google search and not a direct link (Google has no view of the direct link). Google's search results are highly personalised now so I'm not sure just how much it would affect global rankings. Anyway, in all the SEO I've worked on in the last 15 years, this technique would never be recommended highly, there are just so many other things that give more bang per buck. I think it's more likely that it's a classic loss-leader. They get us in on a £30 bass, we hum and har over the ten euro postage and chuck in a few more items. Before we know it, we've added enough to hit the 200 euro threshold for free postage! (Or is it just me who does that?:))

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427531571' post='2731427']
Looking at this thread, people have been receiving instruments with nothing wrong with them.
[/quote]

Nah, I got a dud. A deko bass ukulele with a back bow in the neck and a truss rod that does nothing. Was still worth a punt though.

I think it's quite plausible 100 people are checking frequently.

I know from the 2Harley Benton guitars FB pages,the owners forum, BC and TB as well as Bassic.ch there's an awful lot of folk actively
seeking dekos.

Once you allow for 3 million customers making nearly £400 million in sales last year,do you really think Thomann need to "invent" dekos
to boost their Google rating ?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1427534112' post='2731449']
Nah, I got a dud. A deko bass ukulele with a back bow in the neck and a truss rod that does nothing. Was still worth a punt though.
[/quote]

Sorry, by 'people have' I mean that 'some people have'. There have been other problems such as the silent jazz bass.

My own deko (the PJ5 is my second) has some finish flaws, and the neck was maladjusted. But otherwise it's good. But others have received instruments that were perfect or near perfect.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1427534157' post='2731451']
I think it's quite plausible 100 people are checking frequently.

I know from the 2Harley Benton guitars FB pages,the owners forum, BC and TB as well as Bassic.ch there's an awful lot of folk actively
seeking dekos.

Once you allow for 3 million customers making nearly £400 million in sales last year,do you really think Thomann need to "invent" dekos
to boost their Google rating ?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what is going on. I think it's plausible that they might be concerned about their public image if people are buying instruments and then receiving apology letters and no instruments. We have several such comments on this thread already, and that may be damaging to Thomann. However, 'plausible' only means 'possible'. It does not mean 'likely'.

EDIT: The 'Santos' series classical guitar is still available, over two hours since it was listed.

Edited by Annoying Twit

My fretted had the raised 17th fret issue but the fretless was faultless bar a minute mark on the top of the headstock, both were bought separately with nothing else in the basket so no need to send a good bass stamped as deko to keep a large orderer happy.

Must be careful as I have a few basses in my basket at the mo for comparison reasons, a quick early morning deko buy could end up with a few thousand pounds worth of basses being ordered by mistake.
:D

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1427534030' post='2731448']
Only if they came via a Google search and not a direct link (Google has no view of the direct link). Google's search results are highly personalised now so I'm not sure just how much it would affect global rankings. Anyway, in all the SEO I've worked on in the last 15 years, this technique would never be recommended highly, there are just so many other things that give more bang per buck. I think it's more likely that it's a classic loss-leader. They get us in on a £30 bass, we hum and har over the ten euro postage and chuck in a few more items. Before we know it, we've added enough to hit the 200 euro threshold for free postage! (Or is it just me who does that? :))
[/quote]
I bow to superior knowledge. Many thanks

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427537531' post='2731491']
Sorry, by 'people have' I mean that 'some people have'. There have been other problems such as the silent jazz bass.

My own deko (the PJ5 is my second) has some finish flaws, and the neck was maladjusted. But otherwise it's good. But others have received instruments that were perfect or near perfect.
[/quote]

Well, the silent jazz bass is no longer silent! New wiring harness and a set of Entwistle pups and it sounds great. Such a nice guitar to play as well and all, eventually, for about £80 including the original purchase price of £27. Really can't grumble at that :)

Many more dekos. Will be gone ASAP

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/decorative_guitars_and_basses.html"]http://www.thomann.d...and_basses.html[/url]

EDIT: LP copies now gone. First time I remember seeing a P90 equipped Gold Top.

Now there's a natural colour 'Santos Series' classical. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_santos_series_c_40scedeko_2.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...40scedeko_2.htm[/url]

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1427659696' post='2732807']
Ditto from me.

What was actually wrong with the original electronics?
[/quote]

Good question, but to be honest I never got to the bottom of it. I tried re-soldering connections but that didn't work so with my electronics knowledge being what it is (non-existant) and also being rather inpatient I just decided to take the easy route and swap everything out (I was likely going to swap the pups anyway). What I may do when I have a spare half hour or so is connect up the original pick-ups to the new wiring harness (no soldering required) just to see if they work. At least then I will know whether I have a spare set of working pick ups that I can either keep or move on.