Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

I've just googled the Thomann customer representative who is handling my order. Last time it was a musician/producer who has some of his own electronic music up online, and it sounds good. This time I've found that my representative works in the theatre, and has a page showcasting her comedy theatre work. It does seem that Thomann does employ people who are actually doing interesting stuff. At least, it seems that way from my sample of 2.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1417735953' post='2623693']
Or maybe herd instinct.
[/quote]

And on that note, there's a fretless 5 on it's way to Santa for delivery to me on the 25th... This forum is going to clean 'em out at this rate. Hopefully I'll get as lucky as everyone else here, if not it's out with the tools, and if I'm really unlucky, what the hell... Psychedelic paintjob and a wallhanger! B)

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1417809156' post='2624302']
And on that note, there's a fretless 5 on it's way to Santa for delivery to me on the 25th... This forum is going to clean 'em out at this rate. Hopefully I'll get as lucky as everyone else here, if not it's out with the tools, and if I'm really unlucky, what the hell... Psychedelic paintjob and a wallhanger! B)
[/quote]

If mine is unsuitable for playing, I'm returning it. I won't know for a while, it's just been dispatched, and there is no tracking available yet. I've forgotten how I tracked my last purchase from Thomann, and think I remember that I had to do something non-obvious to get the proper tracking up. Not the DHL page that loads by default.

EDIT: 4 string fretless is now sold out.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1417814437' post='2624349']
Can you do that with something that states clearly, 'not for playing'?
[/quote]

Yes. Because the law says that I can. Anything bought at a distance from within the EU has a cooling off period under which it can be returned. However, given the description as 'Decoration only, not suitable for music', I can't return the goods under the sale of goods act as not fit for purpose if I can't play it. However, since I have 14 days to examine the goods, and given that Thomann say that they will bear the cost of returning the goods, I think that's ample time to check out the instrument.

If it wasn't for the right of return, I would never have purchased a decoration only instrument. BTW: No offence intended, but if you didn't know that it would be possible to return these basses for a refund, then I think you may benefit if you learn more about your consumer rights.

The order confirmation email from Thomann states these rights.

[quote]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Instructions for withdrawal from the Contract[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]===================[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Statutory right of withdrawal[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]You are entitled to withdraw from this Contract within fourteen (14) days[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]without giving any reason for doing so. The deadline for withdrawal shall[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]be fourteen (14) days from the date on which you or a third party you[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]have appointed, who is not the carrier, takes possession of the final[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]goods delivered.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]In order to exercise your statutory right of withdrawal, you must notify us[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Musikhaus [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thomann[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] e.K.,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Treppendorf 30,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] 96138 Burgebrach,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Germany,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Tel: [/size][/font]+49 (0) 9546-9223-476[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3],[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Fax: [/size][/font]+49 (0) 9546-9223-8399[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3],[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] Email: [/size][/font][email="[email protected]"]sc.cc@[color=#222222]thomann[/color].de[/email]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]of your decision to withdraw from this Contract in a clear declaration (e.g.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]by sending a letter by mail, fax or email). You may use the withdrawal form[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]attached for this purpose; however, it is not obligatory that you do so.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The withdrawal deadline shall be deemed to be met if you have sent the[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]communication concerning the exercise of the right of withdrawal before[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]the expiry of the deadline.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Consequences of withdrawal[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]If you withdraw from this Contract, Musikhaus [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thomann[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] must reimburse you for[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]any payments we have received from you, including delivery costs (excluding[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]the additional costs incurred if you have selected a different type of delivery[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]to the cheapest standard delivery option offered by us) without delay, but no later[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]than fourteen (14) days after the day on which we receive the notice of your[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]withdrawal from this Contract. We will use the same payment method you used[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]for the original transaction in order to reimburse you unless otherwise[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]expressly agreed; under no circumstances will you be charged a fee for this[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]refund. We may withhold the reimbursement until we have received the returned[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]goods or until you have provided proof that you have returned the goods,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]whichever is earlier.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]You must return or hand over the goods to us without delay and no later than[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]fourteen (14) days from the date on which you notify us of your withdrawal[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]from this contract. The deadline is deemed to be met if you send the goods[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]before the expiry of the fourteen-day deadline. We shall bear the costs of[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]returning the goods.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]You will only be liable for any diminished value of the goods if this loss[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]in value is attributable to any use or handling of the goods which is not[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]deemed necessary in order to verify the condition, features and functioning[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]of the goods.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Exclusions from the statutory right of withdrawal[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The statutory right of withdrawal shall not apply in the following cases:[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]- Delivery of goods which are not prefabricated and have been manufactured[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] on the basis of a personal choice or according to customer specifications,[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] or of goods which have clearly been tailored to the customer’s personal[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] requirements.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]- Delivery of sealed goods which are not suitable to be returned for reasons[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] relating to health protection or hygiene if their seal has been removed[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] after delivery.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]- Delivery of sealed goods which are not suitable to be returned for reasons[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] relating to health protection or hygiene if their seal has been removed[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] after delivery.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]- Delivery of newspapers, journals or magazines, excluding subscription[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] contracts.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]You can download a withdrawal form template in PDF format here[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3](Adobe Acrobat Reader required) and use this in order to exercise your right[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]of withdrawal. Simply send the completed withdrawal form to us by post, fax or email.[/size][/font]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/misc/widerrufsformular_gb.pdf"]http://www.[color=#222222]thomann[/color].de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/misc/widerrufsformular_gb.pdf[/url]
[/quote]

Edited by Annoying Twit

No offence taken, and I'm aware of (what were) the distance selling regs, but if I buy something for next to nothing, on the stated understanding that it could be unplayable, I don't consider receiving something with issues terribly unfair.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1417823375' post='2624451']
No offence taken, and I'm aware of (what were) the distance selling regs, but if I buy something for next to nothing, on the stated understanding that it could be unplayable, I don't consider receiving something with issues terribly unfair.
[/quote]

No, it isn't unfair. However neither do I consider it unfair returning the instrument if I decide I don't want it.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1417825041' post='2624469']

No, it isn't unfair. However neither do I consider it unfair returning the instrument if I decide I don't want it.
[/quote]

I'd be tempted to do it on the grounds of if there is any cosmetic damage, which renders it useless as a decoration, unless you wanted a tatty decoration. That's how I'd trick myself into not feeling guilty about returning it

I wouldn't feel guilty about returning it. Our consumer rights are part and parcel of the transaction under which companies offer us products, and we buy them. I wouldn't dream of lying in order to return an item, or e.g. deliberately damaging a product and then claiming it was received in that state. But, the point of a cooling off period for distance selling is that I can't examine the goods before purchase, and therefore can't make a fully informed choice as to whether or not I really want the goods. The right to return within the cooling off period addresses this issue, and is an important part of online buying.

[quote name='streather' timestamp='1417827568' post='2624484']
Dammit, I have enough guitars but those basses are so cheap it's tempting me too much...

You guys best buy them all before the GAS get's too serious :lol:
[/quote]

I held out for a month before giving in. If you can do the same then they might all be gone by then. :)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1418165304' post='2627687']
I've selected email updates for tracking in my account.
I've had four updates, processed in Kitzingen,
[/quote]

My tracking is showing 'received in destination country' at the moment, dated 11:32PM last night. I can't find the option to change the email tracking, but perhaps that's because I didn't use my phone.

Much bigger problem though, I have found that Thomann have overcharged me for the order. When I checked out, I applied my 10 Euro Voucher. My original notification from paypal was that Thomannn would take 85.69 euros from my paypal account, but they have taken 95.70 euros. My voucher has reappeared in my Thomann account. I've emailed Thomann to request that this be sorted.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Yeah I'm not sure what I clicked on to be honest. Followed a link on the original sale conformation email to my account, while I was in there I noticed a review request from when I bought my EUB four years ago, I didn't know they gave you vouchers for reviews, left a review and got my voucher,wish I'd known before, never mind I'm sure there'll be something else that takes my fancy.
Hopefully you can get your discount reapplied, they seem pretty good usually.