Why become a member? ×

Thomann selling Harley Benton basses as 'Decoration only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1432045257' post='2777521']
Should be fine. AFAICS from my own experience and the discussion on the other forum linked to in this thread, the problem is simply a slightly misaligned bridge which doesn't allow for even string spacing due to the position of the intonation and height adjustment screws. I hadn't even noticed there was a problem until I re-strung it, and the guitarist in The Terrortones who used it during our recent recording session didn't comment at all on the irregular string spacing issue.
[/quote]

Well, its here...
[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]
Cosmetically its in excellent condition, but it needs some setting up playing wise. [/font][/color]
Any note below the 5th fret is choking out (on every string). Its bad enough that I can't actually sound the open 3rd/4th strings. I measured the relief by capo-ing at the first fret and fretting at the 20th---when I do this there is no relief at all so I assume the neck is convex. [/font][/color]
What do you folks recommend? Tweaking the truss rod and going from there? Or something else? [/font][/color]

Cheers gents

I had to turn the truss rod about a half a turn to get it playable but now it seems to be just about right. I'll leave it overnight and see how it settles.

Now that its playable, first of all I have to say that I love the sound of the neck pickup. What a lovely sound. Suspect P90s will be going in my other guitar too now... Second of all, the tuners on it are utter pony. They'll be fine for mucking about at home but if I use this to record or play live I'll probably change them. I don't know how much of an issue this is but several of the tuners do not sit flush with the back of the headstock. I'll maybe try to fix them at somepoint.

Second of all, it has the absolute classic Jaguar bridge problem of rattling saddles/bridge, especially on the thinner strings. Amplified you can't hear it but unamplified its horrible. I'm going to put different (heavier, I think) strings on it so when I do I'll try and sort the bridge out---any more precise tips on the process to follow to do this much appreciated.

Overall, though, for £63 I am utterly delighted. A very usable instrument that sounds nice. Hopefully with a few tweaks it can only improve.

Finally, now that I think its a keeper, any ideas where to source a trem arm?

The guitar comes strung with D'Addario Baritone light (13-62) strings. I replaced them with the medium (14-68) set and TBH I will probably go for an even heavier low B next time because it's still a bit too floppy and rattly for my tastes.

According to the posts in the other forum linked earlier in this thread, the fix for the bridge is to lower the main bridge assembly and raise the individual saddles as far as possible. It's the same sized allen key for the main bridge as for the saddles which is a 2mm IIRC.

I agree about the machine heads - they are pretty poor and they'll probably get changed on my guitar along with the bridge next time I restring it. I can't help you with the vibrato arm as mine came with one, but it looks like the standard low-budget Jaguar-style unit, so anything that fits that type should work.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1432054160' post='2777630']
In hindsight, maybe the 'order confirmed' is the point of no return. I'm trying to remember how it went for me. Certainly I have received everything I've ever ordered, but I've only mentally thought that I've got it when it's been dispatched. But, I can't remember if anyone ever didn't receive their instrument once they'd received the 'order confirmed' email.
[/quote]

I just got home from a rehearsal to find an "order has been shipped" mail, so it looks like one is on its way!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432076744' post='2778015']
It's there now on mobile.... Treat yo self!
[/quote]

I haven't seen that before. I was guessing that the mobile site would still be showing it even though it was sold out. But, there it is: [url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75_na_vintage_serie_deko.htm?o=2&ref=mrl_a_2&search=1432077716"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1432077716[/url] It says 'sold out' on the link some posts further up, however.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1432128926' post='2778410']
So use a PC and keep refreshing at 11pm. This is turning into a proper game.
[/quote]

Yep. I was refreshing the page until 20 past, just to make sure they didn't add things

Did anyone see all the dekos that went by this morning at 8am? My computer was on overnight (a mistake, actually), and picked up dekos going up at 2:58am! They then all sold at 5:58am, but I suspect that my computer powered down or something, and that's when it came back on again. (Except that I was asleep then, so ?????)

Hopefully it's not annoying for me to mention them, but there was a good selection

50s P-Bass
1975 Jazz Bass
ES335 Copy Guitar
Rosewood TE-70 Telecaster guitar

and a standard round back acoustic guitar.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Is anyone using any software to monitor that page for changes? I did try setting up an alert with a free web service but it didn't appear to work.

My shorty P bass and 5 string acoustic attempted delivery this morning - bloody quick! The van is coming back this afternoon so I have a few hours to think up an explanation for my wife... :-)

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432283751' post='2779936']
Is anyone using any software to monitor that page for changes? I did try setting up an alert with a free web service but it didn't appear to work.

My shorty P bass and 5 string acoustic attempted delivery this morning - bloody quick! The van is coming back this afternoon so I have a few hours to think up an explanation for my wife... :-)
[/quote]

I wrote my own program to do so. There are seeming issues with their pages, and I have put in some ad-hoc code to detect and recover from requests to Thomann getting lost, and occasionally the program gets thoroughly stuck and turns pink to let me know, whereupon I stop the program and start it again. Apologies to long term readers for repeating things from many pages ago, but when it spots dekos, it announces so through the built-in mac speech synthesiser, and automatically loads the deko page into my browser. I haven't specifically offered the program to anyone, nor has anyone asked me for a copy, but I see no reason why we couldn't distribute it around the users of this thread.

I'll leave that open for discussion first as there have been comments on this thread that it was wished that dekos had been kept more secret than they are (if that's possible?), and perhaps some would opine that assistive deko-finding programs shouldn't be distributed.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[/quote]
[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1432285470' post='2779966']
I wrote my own program to do so...
[/quote]

When I first read that line, I thought for a minute that you'd written a program to come up with explanations for your wife! That would probably be quite popular on here.

My shorty P bass and 5 string acoustic attempted delivery this morning - bloody quick!
[/quote]

From what I can gather. I only ordered my 5 string acoustic a few mins or hours after you, but mine was only acknowledged at their German export to UK centre this morning.

It's a amazing what a little difference in ordering time makes!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1432295097' post='2780101'] When I first read that line, I thought for a minute that you'd written a program to come up with explanations for your wife! That would probably be quite popular on here. [/quote]

Now there's an idea...

Anyway...THEY'RE HEEEEERRREEEEEE!

i noticed a parcelforce van drive past me this morning as I walked back from the school run . "Hope that didn't have my parcel in it" I thought - it did, but the lovely man left a card with his mobile on it and said ring for redelivery.
He's just dropped them off.

They're both immaculate. No marks or scratches or anything that distinguishes them from a normal one. The action is a bit high on the acoustic but it works perfectly. The shorty is ace! A pleasure to play and my first P-bass.

Now, need to look up truss rod adjustment - they both came with a cable and a set of allen keys so will get cracking now...