Why become a member? ×

810 cabs wanting some advice

0175westwood29

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1390499088' post='2346106']
If I were going to have eight 10s I`d do in a 2 x 410 configuration so I had the option of using one cab for gigs where both weren`t going to be needed.
[/quote]
This, iv played gigs to 30 people in tiny tiny pubs,lugging a 810 in knocking tables and people left right n centre got old.great standing infront of one on a decent stage though. sold mine and only use a 410 now
Though I am looking for a 210 now,just to get the volume more head height

Edited by clashcityrocker

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"...i get the ampeg is mid heavy and have used this cab before but wondering if there's something more suited to me, needs to be able push the deep lows i need, but still have nice highs"[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You are describing word for word what the Bergantino NV412 is all about! [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Compared to an 810 or 610, the NV412 has a more extended low and top end whilst still retaining a nice mid punch. It makes your effects sound so much better, specially overdrive. distortion and fuzz....And it's loud, very, very, very loud![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It weights considerably less than an 810 and it's very easy to move around.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just to clarify, I'm not saying all this because I have mine up for sale, only offering my advice because I think it's exactly what you want in a cab.[/font][/color]

Edited by PauBass

Not owned a single 8x10 cab myself but did have two 4x10 trace elliot cabs. They both sounded great and it was entirely more versatile for smaller gigs.

That said a trace 8x10 was up for sale on the forum for only a couple of hundred the other week, might still be there if you like the trace stuff.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390510178' post='2346310']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"...i get the ampeg is mid heavy and have used this cab before but wondering if there's something more suited to me, needs to be able push the deep lows i need, but still have nice highs"[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You are describing word for word what the Bergantino NV412 is all about! [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Compared to an 810 or 610, the NV412 has a more extended low and top end whilst still retaining a nice mid punch. It makes your effects sound so much better, specially overdrive. distortion and fuzz....And it's loud, very, very, very loud![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It weights considerably less than an 810 and it's very easy to move around.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just to clarify, I'm not saying all this because I have mine up for sale, only offering my advice because I think it's exactly what you want in a cab.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

did consider a 412 but the only ones im familiar with are out my price range.

andy

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1390510178' post='2346310']

[/quote]

See we need a 3 way deal, I get your 4x12, 0175westwood29 gets my 8x10 and you get his 4x10 and some money moves around. You wanted a 4x10 right? No? well please :D

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1390510763' post='2346317']
Not owned a single 8x10 cab myself but did have two 4x10 trace elliot cabs. They both sounded great and it was entirely more versatile for smaller gigs.

That said a trace 8x10 was up for sale on the forum for only a couple of hundred the other week, might still be there if you like the trace stuff.
[/quote]

dnt get me wrong do like the old school trace stuff but want something a bit more modern.

andy

There's a Hartke VX810 on ebay at the moment, currently v v cheap but in Bolton ([url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hartke-VX810-Bass-Cab-/141171756113?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20de7e0c51"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hartke-VX810-Bass-Cab-/141171756113?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20de7e0c51[/url])

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1390511427' post='2346334']
See we need a 3 way deal, I get your 4x12, 0175westwood29 gets my 8x10 and you get his 4x10 and some money moves around. You wanted a 4x10 right? No? well please :D
[/quote]

Good idea!...wait, I don't need a 4x10 cab :unsure:

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1390493613' post='2346017']
these are epic, and a great price too
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225953-mesa-boogie-powerhouse-4x10-15-for-sale-l495-price-drop/

from your list i would be on the lookout for an SWR but the mesa is easily as good if not better.
[/quote]
If I was in the market for a big cab, I'd be on that Mesa in a shot. I know it's not an 810 but they are immense!

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1390579662' post='2347205']
Exactly :D or do you :D
[/quote]

its very nice and orange lol ;)

that hartke's a bit to old

liking the look of the swr, but have played thru ashdown cabs at our practice space and was impressed, and the mag 810 could be grabbed new for about 450, i know i cant take video online to seriously but its something to go on.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390597881' post='2347501']
its very nice and orange lol ;)

that hartke's a bit to old

liking the look of the swr, but have played thru ashdown cabs at our practice space and was impressed, and the mag 810 could be grabbed new for about 450, i know i cant take video online to seriously but its something to go on.

andy
[/quote]As I said earlier I've been very pleasantly surprised by my Mag 810, not a dark sounding cab by any means and pairs very well with my old GKs. There's always one on ebay for £200, should be easy to sell on if you don't like it.
I'm finding the nearfield sound great on stage, I run it at the volume of the drums and don't have to work the head hard at all to generate low end. My old SVT setup used to project the sound past me and only sounded great in the crowd but I'm finding this rig relatively consistent around a room.

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1390650514' post='2347884']
As I said earlier I've been very pleasantly surprised by my Mag 810, not a dark sounding cab by any means and pairs very well with my old GKs. There's always one on ebay for £200, should be easy to sell on if you don't like it.
I'm finding the nearfield sound great on stage, I run it at the volume of the drums and don't have to work the head hard at all to generate low end. My old SVT setup used to project the sound past me and only sounded great in the crowd but I'm finding this rig relatively consistent around a room.
[/quote]

cool may try and find one to try out.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390488896' post='2345958']
hi guys

as the title says im looking to go up to an 810, wondering on any views you people might have on these cabs im thinking of.

the classic 810e/av ampeg
ashdown abm 810
ashdown mag 810t
swr megolith
peavey 810
laney nexus 810

i get the ampeg is mid heavy and have used this cab before but wondering if theres something more suited to me, needs to be able push the deep lows i need, but still have nice highs.

so hit me with your views

andy
[/quote]

I would seriously have a look at a 610 with a modern 6x10 you can unload a lot of watts into them. They have enough dispersion and volume to do pretty much anything. If you get onto a big stage, its normal to have the amp at a lowish volume nowadays anyway to get a good stage mix. An ABM 610 is a nice cab its got great lows and its punchy. £600 but they appear on ebay for a lot less than that. Ampeg 610HLF is also a great cab, plenty of bass punch and very tight solid tone. I havnt used any of the other so couldnt comment on there tone/performance

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390488896' post='2345958']
hi guys

as the title says im looking to go up to an 810, wondering on any views you people might have on these cabs im thinking of.

the classic 810e/av ampeg
ashdown abm 810
ashdown mag 810t
swr megolith
peavey 810
laney nexus 810

i get the ampeg is mid heavy and have used this cab before but wondering if theres something more suited to me, needs to be able push the deep lows i need, but still have nice highs.

so hit me with your views

andy
[/quote]

I would seriously have a look at a 610 with a modern 6x10 you can unload a lot of watts into them. They have enough dispersion and volume to do pretty much anything. If you get onto a big stage, its normal to have the amp at a lowish volume nowadays anyway to get a good stage mix. An ABM 610 is a nice cab its got great lows and its punchy. £600 but they appear on ebay for a lot less than that. Ampeg 610HLF is also a great cab, plenty of bass punch and very tight solid tone. I havnt used any of the other so couldnt comment on there tone/performance

The EBS ClassicLine 810 is an awesome cab. For me, I have always considered Ampeg to be the best 810 on the market, but the EBS really holds it's own. Our support band a few months ago used one with an Ashdown head and sounded awesome. I had a quick go after the soundcheck. Really impressed. I am a little bias as I am also an EBS user, but I would toss a coin between that and an Ampeg.

Edited by shizznit

ok so ive narrowed it down to the 3 that i think i want from the fact that its the classic (and can run as 2 410's) the ampeg, for the same reason the swr the sound is different but from alot of videos id be happy with taking a punt on this cab (again runs as 2 410's if needed) and also the ashdown mag or abm as tried a 410 cab again and its sounded nice so only be better as an 810.

im tempted by the mag as i could get one new.

andy

Hi Andy,
As an owner of a Mag810, and somebody very pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds (to me and I've owned lots of gear and been disappointed with a lot of it!) I wouldn't go for one brand new as the value plummets like a stone.
Mine cost me £99, and it was 8/10 condition very smart. This isn't due to me being a shrewd buyer or anything it's just that the guy advertised it badly; he omitted key words like 'bass' and 'cab' etc. There's one on ebay now in Cardiff that probably won't go above £200, that's what I'd go for. You'll be able to move it back on if you don't like it at that price.
I only bought my 8x10 as I was playing in a band at the time where the bass needed to assert itself to sort the overall sound out, vocal PA covers band in big pubs where the bass has to fight it's own corner. Plus now I live in a house with a garage so storage is no big deal, I've not found getting it around a problem. I've been very happy in the bands I've used it in and the bands have been positive about the sound too, not degenerated into a volume war, just kept the bass at drum kit level; rock solid low E, nothing running out of steam.
I think if you've got the space, and you drop on one cheap, I think an 8x10 can be useful. They are so out of vogue at the moment they can be bought for next to nothing.
The Ampeg I had and the Ashdown I have now are just big chipboard boxes with basic 10's in them but overall they work well, just don't pay too much.
A few good ones on here at the mo, the Trace 8x10 (Celestions) and the Marshall VBC 810 too. I think Derek Forbes' old Ampeg was on for sub £500 wasn't it? Check out Youtube if you want to see that one in use back in the '80s!
All the best,
Martin

Edited by The fasting showman

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1390906234' post='2351023']
Hi Andy,
As an owner of a Mag810, and somebody very pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds (to me and I've owned lots of gear and been disappointed with a lot of it!) I wouldn't go for one brand new as the value plummets like a stone.
Mine cost me £99, and it was 8/10 condition very smart. This isn't due to me being a shrewd buyer or anything it's just that the guy advertised it badly; he omitted key words like 'bass' and 'cab' etc. There's one on ebay now in Cardiff that probably won't go above £200, that's what I'd go for. You'll be able to move it back on if you don't like it at that price.
I only bought my 8x10 as I was playing in a band at the time where the bass needed to assert itself to sort the overall sound out, vocal PA covers band in big pubs where the bass has to fight it's own corner. Plus now I live in a house with a garage so storage is no big deal, I've not found getting it around a problem. I've been very happy in the bands I've used it in and the bands have been positive about the sound too, not degenerated into a volume war, just kept the bass at drum kit level; rock solid low E, nothing running out of steam.
I think if you've got the space, and you drop on one cheap, I think an 8x10 can be useful. They are so out of vogue at the moment they can be bought for next to nothing.
The Ampeg I had and the Ashdown I have now are just big chipboard boxes with basic 10's in them but overall they work well, just don't pay too much.
A few good ones on here at the mo, the Trace 8x10 (Celestions) and the Marshall VBC 810 too. I think Derek Forbes' old Ampeg was on for sub £500 wasn't it? Check out Youtube if you want to see that one in use back in the '80s!
All the best,
Martin
[/quote]

anyone know how low the cab goes? lowest id go is open a, but i have a rack eq with a 25hz high pass to look after the crazy lows hurting speakers.

oh and the mag has wheels like the peg yeh?

andy

Hi Andy,
My Mag has got a tiltback and wheels like an SVT 810.
Regarding specs, and I'm really out of my depth here, I think the cabs can cope with low frequencies but not necessarily reproduce them. I think (ducks for cover!) that the essence of the 8x10 is the massive punch you get at 100Hz upwards and the tightening up of frequencies below that. Hopefully, somebody more qualified will clarify.
Cheers,
Martin

The wheels are probably the weakest part of the Mag, I've got one and 2 of my friends have owned them, all suffered with the wheels falling apart. I left mine at our rehearsal space and was gonna order some new ones, then someone decided to move it by tilting it sideways and dragging it, the result being the castor bracket went through the bottom of the cab, so it's now sat being unused and unloved with f***ed castors and a hole in the bottom!