Why become a member? ×

810 cabs wanting some advice

0175westwood29

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1390909994' post='2351072']
The wheels are probably the weakest part of the Mag, I've got one and 2 of my friends have owned them, all suffered with the wheels falling apart. I left mine at our rehearsal space and was gonna order some new ones, then someone decided to move it by tilting it sideways and dragging it, the result being the castor bracket went through the bottom of the cab, so it's now sat being unused and unloved with f***ed castors and a hole in the bottom!
[/quote]Yep, the wheels are pretty rubbishy. I guess that's what I mean about getting one 2nd hand, little things like that add up so I wouldn't pay too much for one if possible.

I have two SWR Goliath 4x10's and a Goliath Snr 6x10. I bought the senior because the 2x4x10 is overkill in most venues and, imho, the SM1500 needs to be hooked up to a 4 ohm cab to sound its best.

Sure the Snr is a beast to lift (I can manage to lift it into the car on my own, but only just) but the sound it produces is worth the pain! It is different from the 2 4x10's, tighter, more focused with a bigger bottom end (not that the 2 4x10's lack bottom!). The Snr and one of my Goliaths still have the original PAS drivers, the other Goliath (a series II) I upgraded to Eminence Deltalites a couple of years ago when I blew two of the drivers (the series II cabs were only rated at 500w). Other than that, I've had no problem with the PAS drivers.

I haven't tried a Megoliath yet, but I can't imagine it would give me sufficiently more than the Goliath Snr to make the additional transport problems worth while. In fact, the Snr is performing so well, I will probably sell off the two Goliaths soon and buy either a Redhead combo or a smaller single 4 ohm cab such as TKS or Barefaced for those small pub gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

so i bit the bullet and got a mag 810t, but in the newer tolex finish, didnt fancy a carpet covered one, even tho they were much cheaper.

played it for about 15mins in the shop with a ad200b very loud and very fat! nice and bass heavy so will sound very nice, with my terror and board of effects.

andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1400413277' post='2453556']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdTG7XHTX0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4jdTG7XHTX0[/url]

theres a link to a page where you can hear the final mix of " open your eyes"

signal path was my 5 string into a lateral sounds Root into my orange then into the ashdown 810t no di needed!

andy
[/quote]

Bass and drums have the best mix on this! Well done for getting bass heard properly in metal!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392104582' post='2364602']
Not for me 810s.... The Aguilar one apperantly weighs 184lb :o thats over 13 stone....
[/quote]

Perhaps they put a concrete block on them like they do in washing machines? :)

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1400488751' post='2454206']
Nice bass tone!

On the Root pedal, can you leave the lows clean and only distort highs?
[/quote]

FEA used to do a pedal that was crazy controllable that, a hi and low side, you can change the filter positions and how much drive each had and a clean blend too IIRC. Solid things sound great just rarer than a rare thing

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1400694755' post='2456224']
FEA used to do a pedal that was crazy controllable that, a hi and low side, you can change the filter positions and how much drive each had and a clean blend too IIRC. Solid things sound great just rarer than a rare thing
[/quote]

however on the root i do have the low gain on full lol

andy

• 2 months later...