Why become a member? ×

810 cabs wanting some advice

0175westwood29

hi guys

as the title says im looking to go up to an 810, wondering on any views you people might have on these cabs im thinking of.

the classic 810e/av ampeg
ashdown abm 810
ashdown mag 810t
swr megolith
peavey 810
laney nexus 810

i get the ampeg is mid heavy and have used this cab before but wondering if theres something more suited to me, needs to be able push the deep lows i need, but still have nice highs.

so hit me with your views

andy

Unless you've got a roadie, I'd be making my choice on size and weight! [size=4]You might also consider a 6X10, which is a decent compromise. [/size][size=4]Hauling an 8X10 gets old really quick.[/size]

[size=4]I've only used two - the classic Ampeg 810 and a Carvin R810TL - both excellent.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390490313' post='2345974']
Unless you've got a roadie, I'd be making my choice on size and weight! You might also consider a 6X10, which is a decent compromise. Hauling an 8X10 gets old really quick.

I've only used two - the classic Ampeg 810 and a Carvin R810TL - both excellent.
[/quote]

got good band mates and my van so not a problem moving them about.

andy

Used many an Ampeg 810 and wasn't knocked out. Quite prepared to accept that they had had a hard life but far prefered the Boogie 1516 which was the same size, albeit a different config. Ashdown 810 was undefined which has been a feeling of mine about most of their stuff....and again, it may have been hammered as these were provided rigs. Since I am a fan of Aguilar DB cabs, I'd be on the hunt for a DB810 myself but also I'd say a 610 is a very nice compromise ( Aguilar don't make one or I'd have one like shot ) unless you are playing BIG stages. SWR 610 would a cheap option but make it a good one as replacing 6 speakers would be costly and you can't get PAS units easily. Maybe the U/S has coning kits... but that is a maybe, ..... forget about finding them in Europe.IME...

Edited by JTUK

Hi,
I bought an Ashdown Mag 810 off ebay for £99 last year and I've been very happy with it. I owned an SVT810 around ten years ago and I must say that the cheap Ashdown might be different but certainly not worse than my old Ampeg, it's hard to be precise as I'm using a different head with it (GK800RB/400RB as opposed to Mk1 SVT). The low price may have clouded my judgement but I think it sounds good, I often use various 810s at rehearsal and I think it holds up well.

I've found it easy to lug around too once you are over your doorstep, just trundle it. Our cars are small too. I like the fact that the Ashdown has 8 ohm drivers, cheap to keep going at a push.
I saw a Peavey 8x10 go for £80 on ebay last year, the 'get that bloody thing out the hall' syndrome!

Martin

The thing with 8x10s is that they can be picked up for very little. Downside is they usually weigh a ton & the speaker configuration is not the best for dispersion (though no worse than a 4x10 box). I wouldn't consider getting an 8x10 a move up (maybe sideways :P ).
If you were looking at other configurations, then a 2x10 + 4x10 isn't a good choice as you have 2 drivers dealing with twice as much as the other 4 & they're 2 different sounding cabs (& the 4x10 has the same narrow dispersion).
If you want a killer rig, I'd look at a couple of decent 2x12s (or 2x10s). But then you're not gonna get that for as cheap as a s/h 8x10.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1390492488' post='2346004']
The Barefaced '69er would be my choice if I was looking for an 810.

There's a couple of Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000's (410+115) in the FS section. They would sound fantastic and take on an Ampeg fridge with ease.
[/quote]

cant afford the price or waiting time of the 69er, the mesa's do look nice?

would be open to a 610 but although i loved the 610hlf id quite like to switch it up. are there lots of problems with the swr speakers

andy

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1390492488' post='2346004']
The Barefaced '69er would be my choice if I was looking for an 810.
[/quote]

Mine too - the dog's by all accounts and very light, but the OP needs to buy a used cab. :)
Beaten to it by the OP.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1390494879' post='2346028']
The thing with 8x10s is that they can be picked up for very little. Downside is they usually weigh a ton & the speaker configuration is not the best for dispersion (though no worse than a 4x10 box). I wouldn't consider getting an 8x10 a move up (maybe sideways :P ).
If you were looking at other configurations, then a 2x10 + 4x10 isn't a good choice as you have 2 drivers dealing with twice as much as the other 4 & they're 2 different sounding cabs (& the 4x10 has the same narrow dispersion).
If you want a killer rig, I'd look at a couple of decent 2x12s (or 2x10s). But then you're not gonna get that for as cheap as a s/h 8x10.
[/quote]

not totally looking for the 810 as a need for more volume thats an advantage.

andy

SWR PAS chassis' were very good, IMO..and I used their 10's a lot, but my point is not so much they are bad speakers with problems ( they weren't, IME )
just that when I had to replace a pr of 10's..I couldn't get a replacement PAS speaker in Europe.
I was told the U.S still had coning kits but to buy them was very expensive..so I never got to see if this was possible or whether they were official PAS
units. I also seem to recall that they changed from PAS units at some point but getting clear info from SWR, U.S and Europe was tricky.
By this time, Fender had taken over and they were useless.
If you get a good cab that has been looked after...you'll have a fab bang for buck cab..IMO.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390499000' post='2346103']
Was Tayste's PX offer still a bit too rich?
[/quote]

We're really far apart from each other for a trade.

My first 8x10 was an Ashdown ABM 8x10 but the old one with celestions not the blueline speakers, thing is everything great till you hear better, so it was great till I got the Matamp then it sounded really boxy and undefined.

The Matamp is a clone of 80's Ampeg (maybe 70's) 8x10 but with proper decent wood instead of chipboard.

The Ampegs come the closest to it and would be what I would rent if touring properly again but I'd be going for VR or Heritage series over the standard CL

My other 8x10 experience was Hartke XL and it's good but still too hifi for what I consider an 8x10 to be and this is then your issue when looking at brands like Markbass etc they generally have too much high end.

Obviously I'm bias'd to my Matamp and am quite glad I've found a band recently it suits :D but given my other requirements if I was buying again I'd look at the Berg NV610 else my Matamp 2x12 kicks out enough volume for me but its got the insanely powerful GT200 MK2 on top of it.

Also as a word of advice with an 8x10 buy used, they are hard to sell and generally only a bit more than their 4x10 counterpart so if you're getting one you want to loose as little on it as possible and be committed to the fact you're going to use it for years, I think I've had mine for 5 and it is still the best bass tone I've ever had (think guitarist stood infront of 2 4x12's) you don't grow up wanting a stack of high efficiency 1x12's behind you ;)

More than just a cab :D it's a feeling

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390499000' post='2346103']
Was Tayste's PX offer still a bit too rich?
[/quote]

yeh sadly,

ah ok i see so not bad speakers just to replace they be pricey i see, am i right in thinking the swr 610 is a weird ohms? be interested in trying the swr cabs, also the swr cab like some of the others can run stereo (2x410's)

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1390499939' post='2346122']

Also as a word of advice with an 8x10 buy used, they are hard to sell and generally only a bit more than their 4x10 counterpart so if you're getting one you want to loose as little on it as possible and be committed to the fact you're going to use it for years, I think I've had mine for 5 and it is still the best bass tone I've ever had (think guitarist stood infront of 2 4x12's) you don't grow up wanting a stack of high efficiency 1x12's behind you ;)

[/quote]

yeh i would be keeping this for a while.

been watching a few videos the swr seems very punchy, does anyone have the frequency response of the cabs ive listed cant find the info on the swr?

andy

I don't think I'd be relying on videos to judge the sound of any bass cab (nor much else, really...). Even my cloth ears can hear a difference between a UTube and a 'live' cab. Some sort of idea, maybe, but not much, I wouldn't have thought, but certainly no substitute for a 'hands on' trial. Maybe a 'flac' recording, if I knew in what conditions it was done..? Nah, not even that, upon reflection. Too many variables... :unsure:

Depending on what chassis' the SWR cab has..?? finding that out was tough and getting hold of them nigh on possible.
I tried everywhere including all the American cone stockists
It made me buy 2510 NEO's in the end ...but that was for a 210 cab...and never worked for me, anyway.

Buy SWR by all means but find the good cabs ...