Why become a member? ×

Music Jargonbusting

robot_pelican_chin

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1390564886' post='2346870']
Why is recording an instrument sometimes called tracking?
[/quote]
Back in days of yore, a recording was usually made to magnetic tape, divided up into several tracks - typically 4, 8, 16, etc. Each track would hold a single instrument/voice, or possibly a sub-mix of several instruments. The tracks can all be recorded at once, or separately. So "tracking" is the act of recording one or more tracks onto the tape, as opposed to "mixing" which is setting the relative volumes of each track after they have been recorded. The name has carried over into the modern digital world.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1390568575' post='2346945']
Right, yes, I knew that, but why call it tracking instead of recording? There isn't any difference, that I can see.
[/quote]

Tracking because you are recording tracks as opposed to a whole piece.

The tracks are then mixed down into a mix.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1390568575' post='2346945']
Right, yes, I knew that, but why call it tracking instead of recording? There isn't any difference, that I can see.
[/quote]

Tracking is putting signal to tape. Mixing is playing the tape back through the mixer and applying effects and so on, then recording the results down to stereo. Both are different aspects of recording. Both are elements of production.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1390567952' post='2346934']
Back in days of yore, a recording was usually made to magnetic tape, divided up into several tracks...
[/quote]

What do you mean 'days of yore'? We recorded on 8-track analogue tape only last year! Not a computer in sight. Beautiful. :)

Edited by discreet

DFA switch, DFA button: A control, button or switch that doesn't actually do anything that gets pressed or turned in response to a request for a change in sound or tone from someone who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Always gets the response, 'that's much better, thanks'.

DFA = Does F*ck All. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390642972' post='2347784']
DFA switch, DFA button: A control, button or switch that doesn't actually do anything that gets pressed or turned in response to a request for a change in sound or tone from someone who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Always gets the response, 'that's much better, thanks'.

[/quote]

HAHAHA!! Brilliant :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390642972' post='2347784']

[/quote]

I heard a lovely story once about an engineer who'd worked on a Jeff Beck recording session. Another time perhaps...

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1390639062' post='2347738']
What is 'growl'? I thought I knew but I probably don't
[/quote]

Growl = The tone a bass gives when trying to sound like a baritone sax, a burping, rasping light distortion over a bass fundamental.

...or...

Sound emitted by a drummer if anyone touches his cymbals.

...or...

a mushroom.