Why become a member? ×

New Peavey heads!

dannybuoy

MiniMax 400W: http://www.peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/761/Peavey%26reg%3B%20R

MiniMega 1000W: http://www.peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/762/Peavey%20Electro.html

Headliner 1000W: http://www.peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/763/Peavey%26reg%3B%20Un.html

Interesting psycho-acoustic enhancements on the Mini heads:

[quote]Peavey’s proprietary KOSMOS® bass enhancement provides increased bass impact, while the exclusive psychoacoustic low-end enhancement adds bass without overburdening speakers – a testament to Peavey’s technology-driven reliability.[/quote]

Sounds a bit like the old Waves MaxxBass plugin - if so, it's a great way to get a deep sound out of a small rig. A bit of a cross between a Thumpinator and bass boost, not sure but it might synthesize harmonics above the fundamental as well.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/maxxbass

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1390584298' post='2347295']
I love the look of that Mini Mega! Nice to see Peavey bringing out lightweight gear at last! And the KOSMOS thing is a really nice addition. I think I've found a replacement for my Markbass F1 :gas:
[/quote]

KOSMOS has been around for a while - it's on my Tour750.

I pressed that button once to see what it did.
I'm sure someone must like it, but I've never pressed that button again. :unsure:

From the Peavey Tour 700 web page:

[quote]These amps contain a Kosmos B Subharmonic Generator which allows the user to synthesize a note one full octave below the note you are playing.[/quote]

Oh dear. This sounds like the exact OPPOSITE of what I thought it would do, I was expecting it to produce a harmonic ABOVE, to help your speakers, not octave below to destroy them!
Reading that new copy again:

[quote]Peavey’s proprietary KOSMOS® bass enhancement provides increased bass impact, while the exclusive psychoacoustic low-end enhancement adds bass without overburdening speakers – a testament to Peavey’s technology-driven reliability.[/quote]

OK, perhaps KOSMOS is just an octaver, and the psychoacoustic enhancement is a separate feature that has no name? Ok Peavey, you have confused me now!

I'm following the equivalent thread on TB where a Peavey rep is posting, so have asked on there. Interestingly, somebody mentioned that some Crown power amps, owned by Peavey, actually feature the Waves Maxxbass DSP, so perhaps I wasn't far off the mark after all!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1390618329' post='2347698']
KOSMOS has been around for a while - it's on my Tour750.

I pressed that button once to see what it did.
I'm sure someone must like it, but I've never pressed that button again. :unsure:
[/quote]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390632762' post='2347707']
OK, perhaps KOSMOS is just an octaver, and the psychoacoustic enhancement is a separate feature that has no name? Ok Peavey, you have confused me now!
[/quote]

Haha! I think I was referring to the psychoacoustic enhancement to be honest. KOSMOS sounds like that useless 'Ultrabass' feature you get on Behringer amps :lol:

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1390642318' post='2347772']
I'm wondering if we'll get to see all, or indeed any, of these in the UK. I don't think Peavey's last lightweight bass amp (the Headliner 600) ever made it to this side of the pond.
[/quote]

The Headliner cabs did, but they cost about 5x as much :blink:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1390646180' post='2347828']
Annoyingly each amp has features I like/would want, but neither has them all:

MiniMax - gain/built-in tuner
MiniMega- gain/compression

I would want gain/compression/built-in tuner - aaaaarrrggghhh.
[/quote]

I'd also want an AUX in on the Mega!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390644292' post='2347806']
Ah, so we have separate KOSMOS A-Sub and KOSMOS C-Psycho controls, now it all makes sense!
[/quote]

Don't you just love it when technological advances give you twice as many buttons to ignore... ;)

Seriously though, although I'm not in the market for a new amp at the moment, I'd definitely be interested in trying one of these out at some point.

Does anyone here know the ETA for these in the UK, and prices?
Over the pond on Talkbass, the MiniMax 400 and matching 1x12 cabs is priced so you can have a stack, i.e. head and 2 x 1x12 cabs, for $600!
Even if we end up with £ = $ pricing that folks like Apple seem to employ, they'll still be a bargain!

I've been waiting for Peavey to enter the whole class D/micro amp thing for a long time, still miss the tone of my old Mark IV head, not the weight though. If these can deliver the Peavey tone, with their usual rock solid build quality and real wattage, I think they'll sell well.

Now hurry up and take my money Peavey!

Eude

i have always liked peavey gear....i owned a megabass head and megabox cab (115bw/208)..great little rig!...then later used a databass 450w combo(again a great little amp)
i'm hoping with this new range peavey have found their feet again!.....can't wait to try a mega mini....are these chinese made?...anyway..big thumbs up

• 9 months later...
Guest Jecklin

Bit of a thread dredge and revival.

Anyone heard news about these amplifiers?

My hope of the minimax being released in the sub £200 category by the end of the year seem rather too optimistic.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1415475777' post='2600801']
Bit of a thread dredge and revival.

Anyone heard news about these amplifiers?

My hope of the minimax being released in the sub £200 category by the end of the year seem rather too optimistic.
[/quote]

Not heard a peep since the launch, its been a bit too long I reckon, I think they've probably put these heads to bed :(

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1415475969' post='2600805']
Not heard a peep since the launch, its been a bit too long I reckon, I think they've probably put these heads to bed :(
[/quote]

Nope, the designer has posted regularly on TB and last I heard they are at pre-production sample stage, meaning field trials to confirm final build spec are happening, or about to very shortly. Sounds likes a realistic release date around NAMM (late Jan.) is in the works.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1415480171' post='2600850']
Nope, the designer has posted regularly on TB and last I heard they are at pre-production sample stage, meaning field trials to confirm final build spec are happening, or about to very shortly. Sounds likes a realistic release date around NAMM (late Jan.) is in the works.
[/quote]

Nice one mate, thanks for chiming in. That IS good news.
That might give me enough time to save up for a MiniMega :)

Eude