Why become a member? ×

Just heard a live recording of my playing... Now with sound!

basshead56

Hi all,

Just heard a 'bootleg' of my 'side-project' band's second show (that was only my second/third proper gig on DB) taken from the desk that night. It was mostly covers with a couple of our own chucked in.
Whilst we were fairly intoxicated going on (it was 1am by the time we staggered onstage-the joys of being the headline at a blues/folk/rockabilly show, during a huge biker festival) AND considering it was my second set that night, I reckon it was pretty good overall. It was done using my Baby clone strung with red Weedwhackers going through my VT Deluxe to the desk and a crappy unknown Peavey am on stage.

Some of my lines definitely reflect the band name and vibe (Otepuni Moonshine); staggered and drunken. :lol: :P
I was quite impressed with my slap tone, which is what I really wanted to nail, so happy with that. The drummer slipped a couple of times but I covered it up as best I could.haha. The guitarist's timing was off in a couple of places and I seem to recall the crappy/battered house Peavey amp (fairly sure it was a keyboard amp) cut out a couple of times so my onstage monitoring wasn't brilliiant.

Anyway, there's definitely room for overall improvement (hey, if it was perfect, I'd be bored all day!) but I'm happy with how I'm coming along- I reckon I'm ten times better now when compared with that gig back in November. I'm also thinking of adding a clicky to the fretboard to make the slap tone a bit more defined/sharper.
Only gutted I couldn't get a copy of my first set with my Rockabilly mates, cause I reckon that was much better
(it had to be, I was stone-cold sober!)

But this set was pretty good (I reckon). I certainly had fun playing, so did the boys and we got free beer and paid pretty well, so I guess that's all that matters :D
If anyone has a spare 33 mins and wants to have a listen/provide some constructive criticism/tear it to pieces - all is gratefully appreciated :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/live-sound-engineering/otepuni-moonshine-mix-ii/s-v8DZb"][u]Clip here on Soundlcoud[/u][/url]

Cheers
Col

Edited by basshead56

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='blinddrew' timestamp='1391803971' post='2361597']
Think that track might be set to private Col?

Saw a video of myself playing at a jam night last week, only thing I can say is that I'm glad that the phone camera barely picks up the bass notes!
[/quote]

Hi Drew,

Can't seem to get the public link up and running...
I guess try putting in 'Otepuni' in the search bar, that might get around it.

I saw a video recently too, at least I kinda looked like I knew what I was doing. haha