Why become a member? ×

Anyone got/own a rivera amp?

Kiwi

Depends on the Rivera in question. The company started with versatility, drifted off towards hi-gain heads then swung back to 2 channel boutique combos again. The 'American' channel (Ch 2) does several shades of Fender from clean to dirty ending up with a monstrous yet defined roar if you plug into the high gain input and kick the Ninja boost on. So, yes, they can do Fender on Steroids.

OTOH, the British Channel (Ch 1) does a nice take on Marshalls and you can even squeeze a pseudo Vox out of it.

And funnily enough, here's mine... late 90's R55/12 ;)

Edited by skankdelvar

Marshall overdrive seems fairly easy to achieve...even with just a pedal. But they sound kind of flat to me.

That bouncey, chimey Fender clean tone is pretty dynamic. When I've played through a twin in the past, the slightly compressed highs made me feel like I was interacting with the amp...it was so very far from flat sounding and I got a lot of satisfaction from giving the strat a decent spanking. But twins weigh a tonne and are too loud for my needs.

A guitarist friend has one hand-built by Paul Rivera himself. His guitars (all nice ones) sound great when he plays them through it. Couldn't tell you if it's very Fender-y or not.

It is one of the heaviest guitar combos I've ever had the misfortune to try and carry though.

Edited by BigRedX

I had a Knucklehead K100 head years ago. Great sounding amps and I guess you could say they are like a steroid raging Fender! The tone is very similar to a Fender black face. They have more headroom than a Fender and certainly more power…they really like to be cranked! Next to other boutique amps that are more expensive it really holds it own. I would certainly recommend taking a look at a Rivera before considering a Diezel, Mesa etc...

I used to use a Rivera R30/12 & it was a superb amp - wish I'd never got rid of it.

The "Fender" channel does the whole Fender/Fender on steroids thing really well, and the tone stack has a push/pull switch that alters the tone between "Tweed" & "Blackface" era amps so it's really versatile. Great spring reverb too.
I used to use mine with a Gretsch 6120 & a Duo Jet & it was just awesome.