Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1392655477' post='2371132']
so... i started writing a song using this photo, then it become something else..... so do i post it.... or do i not?
[/quote]

Post it, I say, and let the membership vote on it..? :)

(...[i]although, when you say "something else", you don't mean like a turnip or a door handle, do you..?[/i] :unsure: )

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1392655477' post='2371132']
so... i started writing a song using this photo, then it become something else..... so do i post it.... or do i not?
[/quote]

Post it!

The photo is always just there for inspiration - it's not something that needs to be rigidly interpreted - so don't worry if you stray off the path. Happy accidents, etc, etc...

As Douglas has said, the listeners will be the judge of it :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1392729381' post='2372002']
ok then, i'll do some more on it this weekend and post it
[/quote]

Good man! :)

Bear in mind that the deadline for entries is Friday night. Don't let that put you off if you want to finish it over the weekend... I can happily add your track once the voting has started, you'll just be fashionably late to the party.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1392729381' post='2372002']
ok then, i'll do some more on it this weekend and post it
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392730842' post='2372030']

Good man! :)

Bear in mind that the deadline for entries is Friday night. Don't let that put you off if you want to finish it over the weekend... I can happily add your track once the voting has started, you'll just be fashionably late to the party.
[/quote]
Oh?...... Didn't know that was an option. Handy to know. I often have difficulty getting it done in time.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1392736762' post='2372135']

Oh?...... Didn't know that was an option. Handy to know. I often have difficulty getting it done in time.
[/quote]

Yeah we'll never say no to late entries :)

It just means you get fewer listens and consequently fewer votes. But heh... if it's a matter of posting a track or not, then I'd say it's always better to go for it.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392754313' post='2372421']

Yeah we'll never say no to late entries :)

It just means you get fewer listens and consequently fewer votes. But heh... if it's a matter of posting a track or not, then I'd say it's always better to go for it.
[/quote]
It's the taking part that counts...... Lol.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1392762387' post='2372577']
Recording begins tomorrow. Whaddyaknow, I've written a song that's over 50% 4/4. I'm proud of myself.
[/quote]

Steady on Bob! That's a quirky time signature by your standards...

Probably better to play it safe and use a more familiar 23/8 or maybe a 17/5? :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392802448' post='2372821']

Steady on Bob! That's a quirky time signature by your standards...

Probably better to play it safe and use a more familiar 23/8 or maybe a 17/5? :D
[/quote]

Don't worry, there are predominant sections of 5/4 and 7/4, and a random bar of 13/8, I haven't gone totally crazy.

Ok I’m in.

A hastily finished creation from me this month… and one that I wager will not be many people’s cup of tea! :D But meh, no matter.

I had a number of different ideas this time, but the one that I went with was an old school techno track in honour of Detroit’s colossal influence on electronic music - notably pioneered by 80s/90s producers Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson (who were heroes of mine ‘back in the day’). That’s not to say that my track is anywhere near the same calibre. Mine is an ill conceived mess of noise, but it’s well intentioned!

I also thought that the old Michigan Station looks like the sort of place that has seen a few illegal raves in recent years. I used to go to warehouse parties myself during the UK rave era (for me, early 90s) and it reminded me of some of the old industrial buildings in which we had great times.

The crazy, shrill (some might say annoying), formant-sounding synth you’ll hear playing throughout is the legendary [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TB-303"]Roland TB-303[/url]. My favourite synth of all time! (hence my username). You don’t play a 303 like you would a normal keyboard synth - it has to be programmed using a step sequencer; the real magic happening when you start tweaking the cut off, resonance, envelope and other dials whilst it's playing, which gives the synth its characteristic 'voice'.

I don’t own an actual 303: they fetch around £3K these days, which is a little rich for something I would only use on rare occasions. But I have a plug-in ([url="http://www.audiorealism.se/abl/abl2_announcement.htm"]this one[/url] if you’re interested) that emulates one quite nicely.

The weird thing is that the TB-303 was originally intended as a “bass accompaniment” instrument for use by guitarists practising alone, as were the Roland 808 and 909 drum machines - all of which became instrumental in defining the sound of acid house and techno, albeit through ‘misuse’. I do wonder whether the guy who invented it had ever heard a bass guitar in his life ;)

Anyway, I’m rambling… Here’s the track:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/303-through-and-through"]https://soundcloud.c...ugh-and-through[/url]

PS: the vocal is a copyright-free sample kindly made available by Patricia Edwards, a singer from Buffalo USA.

I’ll be posting up the voting thread tomorrow at midnight. If you miss the deadline then just message me with a link to your track whenever it’s finished (ideally on SoundCloud) and I’ll add it to the roster.

Cheers!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392906012' post='2374007']
Ok I’m in.

A hastily finished creation from me this month… and one that I wager will not be many people’s cup of tea! :D But meh, no matter.
[/quote]

Nice one. Yep not normally my cuppa chai but it honestly got my feet going. Transported me right back to when the only thing on the box after the pub was the Hitman and Her (which somehow slowly became the only thing worth watching... apart from Prisoner CBH and Sledghammer of course). I'm hearing a more modern Wipeout type feel in there too. Do I hear the game developers a'knocking? :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392906012' post='2374007']...PS: the vocal is a copyright-free sample kindly made available by Patricia Edwards, a singer from Buffalo USA...[/quote]

Small world, eh..? Here's a track I did recently featuring this very same vocalist (and a couple of others for good measure..!).

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/didnt-want-anything"]Didn't want anything...[/url]

...Not part of this month's Challenge, of course, simply coincidence. Great minds, or fools..? :rolleyes:

(I've not listened to your track yet; I'll await the voting... :) )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392906548' post='2374016']It's definitely my cup of tea. Great effort, love it.[/quote]
[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1392909106' post='2374060']Nice one. Yep not normally my cuppa chai but it honestly got my feet going. Transported me right back to when the only thing on the box after the pub was the Hitman and Her (which somehow slowly became the only thing worth watching... apart from Prisoner CBH and Sledghammer of course). I'm hearing a more modern Wipeout type feel in there too. Do I hear the game developers a'knocking? [/quote]

Cheers fellas, glad you dig it :)

I totally get the Wipeout reference... I used to love playing that game! To date the only knocking I've heard has been an air pocket in our plumbing system, but maybe one day the game devs will come calling with their chequebooks! Or just some nice cake. I'd work for cake.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1392909810' post='2374072']Small world, eh..? Here's a track I did recently featuring this very same vocalist (and a couple of others for good measure..!).[/quote]

Haha, indeed! The link seems kaput (as mentioned by Ou7shined), so please fix as I'm keen to have a listen.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1392910063' post='2374078']
Link's nae working bud.
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392912338' post='2374109']...Haha, indeed! The link seems kaput (as mentioned by Ou7shined), so please fix as I'm keen to have a listen.
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing out; now fixed (I hope. Fingers crossed... :unsure: )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1392913202' post='2374122']
Thanks for pointing out; now fixed (I hope. Fingers crossed... :unsure: )
[/quote]

Thanks Doug, it's now working. I like it! Bass tone sounds nice and beat is interesting. I didn't realise you'd been working on stuff outside of the BC challenges. I mean really, how [i]dare[/i] you!! :D

Seriously though, keep us posted. I always enjoy hearing what folks are getting up to.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1392922928' post='2374319']
Thanks Doug, it's now working. I like it! Bass tone sounds nice and beat is interesting. I didn't realise you'd been working on stuff outside of the BC challenges. I mean really, how [i]dare[/i] you!! :D

Seriously though, keep us posted. I always enjoy hearing what folks are getting up to.
[/quote]

Note to all BCers...

Please make a permanent record of the above post ^; it will be useful for defence lawyers in the not too distant future. It won't, however, help in finding the body. :mellow: