Why become a member? ×

Loop Pedals

Thumbducker

I've had a Line 6 DL4 for years and have had a lot of fun with it, but I think I've probably made more use of the loop function on it than anything else. I'm hankering after a proper loop pedal (because I like playing with myself... ooer) and was wondering if any of you fine folk had any recommendations (ideally based on first hand experience?)

I was thinking about a boss rc300 but I remember reading about an issue where there's a slight delay between stomping the pedal and your loop coming on. This may well have been down to the user rather than the hardware, but I can't afford to be spending a lot of money to find out it's true.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the RC-300. Have to say I have been busy with other music projects and haven't used it much. However, I believe the loop 'gap' problem you have heard about was actually on the RC-50 (which I also had - sold to get RC-300). The RC-50 was definitely usable but it definitely had that issue. The 300 does not have this issue as far as I'm aware but as I say I haven't really used it in anger.

The tjhing to understand is that if you set a certain mode (can't remember the name off-hand, Loop Sync or something) then it loops to a set length. So if you're syncing a 4/4 pattern at 120bpm, then the loop won't come round again until it's finished its last complete bar at that tempo - giving the appearance of there being a delay. If you don't want to work to a tempo you switch this function off and the loop should just loop per you hitting the pedal as opposed to trying to sync to a tempo that you're not even using.

Here's one guy's review of RC-300 vs RC-50 and he says the 'gap' issue is gone:

[url="http://worldofthreeleggedyoyo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-rc-50-vs-rc-300-review-continued.html"]http://worldofthreel...-continued.html[/url]

Edited by Mr Arkadin

• 2 weeks later...

I had always thought that the Boss RC series was the don of loopers; but I've never had the cash to try one properly so instead I've owned a couple of Akai Headrush E2s. Good pedals(indecently, I've currently got one for sale ;)) but the let-down for me was that it only had enough memory for about 23.8 seconds, not long enough for a full chord progression if I wanted to just noodle along to some blues chords.

Nice one, thanks guys.

Actually that ditto looks like it might do as much as I need. The price is more friendly than the RC300 and it looks uncomplicated which appeals to me.

Shame that Steve, 23.8 seconds isn't long enough, this was my problem with the DL4's function (I think that's only a meagre 14 seconds.) The five minutes you get on that ditto will most likely be as much as I need.
Much as a RC300 looks like a hell of a tool, it's also a hell of an outlay. I might see how I get on with a ditto, in fact it might even be within reach as a birthday present from the wife.. hmm.

There's a clip on youtube of Victor Wooten on emgtv doing a demo of some pickups [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFcPlv9RhEY"]here[/url]. It looks like he's using a RC-300 and not having any problems with it. Pretty cool I thought :) .

Yeah the RC-300 is quite expensive these days, surprised the price hasn't dropped (it may even have gone up a little).

I was quite lucky though. I bought an RC-50 new back in the day for a blowout deal of £260 - I think the retail price was still £350 at the time. Then when the RC-300 came out I decided to sell the RC-50, think I got £250 so only lost a tenner on that. Then someone on gumtree had their RC-300 for £300 ono - I think I offered £280 or so and he accepted. I must have got in first as when I met him he said he'd had lots of calls after mine and I'm fairly certain he probably did. So overall I only came out at about a £30 loss. Not bad.

I love the Flashback x4. Loads of uses for it as it has a great delay as well as a looper. A nice long loop time, great for experimenting. I use it live all the time with lead guitar as a stomp box for the delay effects. The TC stuff is great in my humble opinion.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZv3q-UlLE4[/media]

Edited by Pinball

• 2 weeks later...

Might be worth checking out the Boomerang Phrase Sampler, very pricey new but some of the older versions can be had for very reasonable prices (I picked up the v.2 for less than a Boss RC2). Intuitive controls, great sound quality. The only issue I have is the footprint if I were to use it live and it needs a lot of juice but for me it's still well worth a look.