Why become a member? ×

Hung by the neck until........

lowlandtrees

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391336706' post='2355809']

I've actually thought of this with my Hercules grabby-neck-hanging stands. The neck grabber doesn't rotate to ensure a proper vertical hang, and with both my headstocks being offset, I didn't like this. I unscrewed the grabber and then drilled and screwed into place at the correct angle.

I think most wall hangers are the rotating type though.
[/quote]

I have the Hercules ones and they swivel to fit off set headstocks. You just have to pull the clasp towards you and it clicks into a new position that allows the swivel motion.

Never had any problems with any bass neck since hanging them. I think the OP must have just been unlucky...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391550476' post='2358570']

I have the Hercules ones and they swivel to fit off set headstocks. You just have to pull the clasp towards you and it clicks into a new position that allows the swivel motion.

Never had any problems with any bass neck since hanging them. I think the OP must have just been unlucky...
[/quote]

:-D That'll teach me to not read the instructions! Will try that later, thanks

Edit just tried it, and the clasp does not move forwards or backwards. It's this one:
http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/product/85317/GS412B/Floor_Stands/Auto_Grab_guitar_stand_with_foldable_backrest

Perhaps you're talking about the wall hanging ones?

Edited by Roland Rock

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread - can anyone especially recommend one make of hanger over another? Or any to stay away from?
I see one of the Hercules ones (on Amazon) has a load limit of 7kg / 15.4 lb, which is P-bass territory isn't it? Unfortunately, not all models have a load limit stated.
Thanks

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140713_212403_zpsgov7zhdp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/20140713_212403_zpsgov7zhdp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Gratuitous ebmm stuff on hangers.....just the cheap hangers off ebay and that black Ray 5 is quite heavy!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1406137056' post='2508695']
Bumping this thread - can anyone especially recommend one make of hanger over another? Or any to stay away from?
I see one of the Hercules ones (on Amazon) has a load limit of 7kg / 15.4 lb, which is P-bass territory isn't it? Unfortunately, not all models have a load limit stated.
Thanks
[/quote]

Interesting about load limits. I would have thought that the fixings used, and the wall that you're fixing it to would be the main variables. I'd be nervous about plasterboard unless you can drive some nice big screws straight into the stud.

I've heard of the odd late '70s P getting towards 15lbs, but from reading various threads on the subject, the vast majority of Ps are under 10lbs

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1406182943' post='2509037']
Interesting about load limits. I would have thought that the fixings used, and the wall that you're fixing it to would be the main variables.
[/quote]

The Hercules hanger holding my precision decided to detach itself from the wall suddenly last night, damaging the bass as it smashed into the floor. That was fixed into brick with screws & plugs - f*** knows how it came away.

Won't be using wall hangers anymore.

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1406155415' post='2508960']

Shouldn't you be 5tingray then...?
[/quote]
Well I only had one stingray 4 when I joined bass chat!

I agree they are only going to be as strong as the wall behind, even then some people can't knock a nail in can they, I'm an electrician but I often have to re fix curtain poles for useless husbands that have put tiny yellow rawl plugs to hold up full length heavy curtains!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1406185320' post='2509050']

The Hercules hanger holding my precision decided to detach itself from the wall suddenly last night, damaging the bass as it smashed into the floor. That was fixed into brick with screws & plugs - f*** knows how it came away.

[/quote]

sh*t, that's worrying! Hope the damage isn't too bad

[/quote]

Off to check my fixings now :(

Hope your bass is ok and not too seriously dinged.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406185394' post='2509051']

I agree they are only going to be as strong as the wall behind, even then some people can't knock a nail in can they, I'm an electrician but I often have to re fix curtain poles for useless husbands that have put tiny yellow rawl plugs to hold up full length heavy curtains!
[/quote]

You been round my house?

[/quote]

Oh wow - sorry to hear that. StringsDirect recommended a Hercules one, but suggested using heavier screws and plugs than supplied...

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1391550186' post='2358563']
Its internal wall.[size=5][i][b] Room gets cold and damp[/b][/i][/size] but all my gear is there without probs. Maybe the strings ...they are quite heavy but have been on for a while.
[/quote]There's your problem more than anything else!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391343869' post='2355945']

Good idea... now what's the best place to get heavy nuts..? Ibiza..?
[/quote]
Good place to get empty nuts I believe :)

I use the grabby Hercules ones with wooden mounts. The wall is thermobloc as it's internal and so I just used very long screws (7cm or so) driven straight into the wall using a power screwdriver so they're tight. They're not shifting and the hangers are easily strong enough for the items you see in my sig

Edited by Geek99

Didn't someone suggest hanging [color=#505050][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][color=#505050][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4]Esther McVey? Or did I dream it? Either way it would be very wrong. :mellow:[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406198268' post='2509200']
Didn't someone suggest hanging [color=#505050][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][color=#505050][font=Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif][size=4]Esther McVey? Or did I dream it? Either way it would be very wrong. :mellow:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
Yes it would - I have a few tasks in mind for her to achieve first

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1406190164' post='2509096']
Oh wow - sorry to hear that. StringsDirect recommended a Hercules one, but suggested using heavier screws and plugs than supplied...
[/quote]

I used much heavier screws & plugs than the one supplied, which I wouldn't have trusted to hold a decent sized feather let alone a bass guitar.