Why become a member? ×

Cramp in hand when playing

gub

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1391425262' post='2356880']
This is quite often the cause of cramps, as well as playing on an empty stomach and not warming up in advance of a gig or practice session, with gentle stretches.
[/quote]

There is no proven cause of cramp.

There are some who believe it to be caused by dehydration, or lack of salts, or over fatigue etc. But as for definitive proof.... there is none.

People will advise all the things you've just said, because lets face it, they aren't going to do you any harm.

I suffer from this... my left hand occasionally seizes up without warning, I end up limping through to the end of the song playing basic single finger stuff.

I only get it when jumping around live, never in practice. I guess I'm fretting to hard in the moment, should concentrate on playing lighter but it's so easy to forget when playing live.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1436113615' post='2815059']
I've never tried that, but I will now. Next time I am stumped by a problem, I'll take the bass out of its case, lie in there myself, and wait for inspiration to strike.
[/quote]

You won't believe how long it took me to work out what you were getting at there.... But my case is at home so I had to work purely on brainpower... Scary! :lol:

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1436097781' post='2814875']
This happened to me again at my gig on Friday night - in the same number. I think I had taken every precaution and piece of advice offered - so thanks for all of those. However, I suspect what is going on is actually [url="http://dystonia.org.uk/index.php/about-dystonia/types-of-dystonia/focal-hand-dystonia"]focal dystonia[/url]. It describes the symptoms pretty well. The fingers 'lock' and won't do what I want them to do, but there's no real pain associated with it. It's to do with the mapping of the fingers in the brain. It's a bit of a bummer, if it is, because it may well put paid to my playing. :mellow:
[/quote]

Obviously you need to get it checked out properly, but if it is focal dystonia, you might want to check this out: [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves"]http://www.scottsbas...sods/the-gloves[/url] - if Scott can play like he does with focal dystonia, there might be no need to panic.

I can't speak for the man himself but if you got in touch with Scott he might have some advice on working out what it is.

Edited by adamg67

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1436191619' post='2815765']
Obviously you need to get it checked out properly, but if it is focal dystonia, you might want to check this out: [url="http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/odds-and-sods/the-gloves"]http://www.scottsbas...sods/the-gloves[/url] - if Scott can play like he does with focal dystonia, there might be no need to panic.

I can't speak for the man himself but if you got in touch with Scott he might have some advice on working out what it is.
[/quote]

Yeah - I'll definitely get it checked out if it happens again. I'm going to go back to my De Armond for now and see if that helps. I've been playing a different bass recently and it's not quite as comfortable as the Pilot, which is a long-scale and a dream to play. I changed because I wanted a passive bass and to try a shorter scale. I'm hoping it's regular cramp, but the symptoms are pretty clear and the triggers were all there: stress, trying to overreach myself, a change in instrument, increase in playing/complexity/speed. :(

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391381171' post='2356622']
Don't forget to breathe and relax.
[/quote]

Seriously. Pay attention to your breathing.

As said above, there's no proven cause of cramp.

I get cramp in three situations.
1. Stress - I find myself holding my breath.
2. Swimming - in my calf and foot - repetitive exercise that I'm not used to.
3. Middle of night after a long run - muscle spasm due to overuse.

I think cramp is too general a term with many causes.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1391381365' post='2356626']
I usually lye on my hand for a while till I get numbness then it feels like someone else is playing it.
[/quote]

:)

I get cramp quite often and always towards the end of a gig when my ears start to filter out frequencies and I start digging in to try and hear myself. I suspect good monitors could help.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1439797508' post='2845740']
I get cramp quite often and always towards the end of a gig ...
[/quote]

Try doing some simple and unobtrusive stretches of the fingers between numbers - just casually push each finger back until you feel the web stretching at the bass of the finger, nothing painful. Then let your arms hang loose at you sides and rapidly rotate your wrists so that your hands and fingers 'flap'.

The whole process takes about 20 seconds, less time than it takes for your singer to have a slurp from his beer.

It also helps if you play without any sort of jewellery, rings obviously, but also the many types of bracelet that have become fashionable, and especially heavy watches.

Try some "warming up" exercises before you even pick your bass up. Finger stretches & flexing your wrist on your way to rehearsals & gigs. It works for me.

Maybe lift your bass up on the strap a wee bit too.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1426443141' post='2718112']
Watch this, especially from about 8:30 onwards.

[url="https://youtu.be/XqBRxu21oZc"]https://youtu.be/XqBRxu21oZc[/url]
[/quote]

Can't recommend this enough. I was in the audience and my playing was twice as good afterwards for it.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1439825903' post='2846053']
Try some "warming up" exercises before you even pick your bass up. Finger stretches & flexing your wrist on your way to rehearsals & gigs. It works for me.

Maybe lift your bass up on the strap a wee bit too.
[/quote]
Warming up is a must for me starting a set.......I guess Id have to go with a some of these suggestions if it happen towards the end.

That's never happened to me before

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1439805617' post='2845826']

Try doing some simple and unobtrusive stretches of the fingers between numbers - just casually push each finger back until you feel the web stretching at the bass of the finger, nothing painful. Then let your arms hang loose at you sides and rapidly rotate your wrists so that your hands and fingers 'flap'.

The whole process takes about 20 seconds, less time than it takes for your singer to have a slurp from his beer.

[/quote]

Trouble is I'm the singer and it's my pint that will be getting slurped!
Bananas don't sound very rock n roll to me, I probably will stick to beer!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1439880582' post='2846370']
Trouble is I'm the singer and it's my pint that will be getting slurped!
Bananas don't sound very rock n roll to me, I probably will stick to beer!
[/quote]

Bananas are VERY rock and roll - buy two, eat one and keep the other in yer trousers for later.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1439898848' post='2846554']
Do remember to wrap it in tin foil first ...
[/quote]
what? your trousers?

i get cramp in my fingering hand (ooh er matron) when we play dizzie miss lizzie but thats cos its is very repetitive movements at a bit of a stretch, never got it in my plucking hand though
+for hydration and warm ups

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1439886851' post='2846409']

Bananas are VERY rock and roll - buy two, eat one and keep the other in yer trousers for later.
[/quote]

That's just silly, bananas are not the right shape. Why not go for a courgette?