Why become a member? ×

Cramp in hand when playing

gub

I get the this sometimes, usually towards the end of a gig, and often when I am plucking qute hard. Usually goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. However I have recently developed a tingling or pins and needles in my small finger although I dont use that small finger. The doctor has said the nerve to that finger could be trapped, there is apparently a different nerve to the first three fingers.
One of the things I am trying to do is not to pluck so hard, and let the amplifier do a bit more work.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1391379041' post='2356591']
I get the this sometimes, usually towards the end of a gig, and often when I am plucking qute hard. Usually goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. However I have recently developed a tingling or pins and needles in my small finger although I dont use that small finger. The doctor has said the nerve to that finger could be trapped, there is apparently a different nerve to the first three fingers.
One of the things I am trying to do is not to pluck so hard, and let the amplifier do a bit more work.
[/quote]

Search for carpal tunnel in the search engine in basschat. There's a lot of information how to prevent further problems with the numbness in your hand.

I used to get it sometimes, but I now use lighter gauge strings and play with a much lighter touch which has stopped it altogether. Making sure you're turned up loud enough is important too I think, if you almost turn up slightly on the loud side, you'll feel less inclined to play really hard to cut through. One other tip is to make sure your strap is high enough for you too, if it's too low for you really it'll put a lot of extra stress on your your hands (especially your fretting hand) and encourage better posture generally.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1391382486' post='2356638']
Making sure you're turned up loud enough is important too I think, if you almost turn up slightly on the loud side, you'll feel less inclined to play really hard to cut through. One other tip is to make sure your strap is high enough for you too, if it's too low for you really it'll put a lot of extra stress on your your hands (especially your fretting hand) and encourage better posture generally.
[/quote]

Have to agree with this.

Probably no help at all though for the cramp I endured in my calf during saturdays gig. :)

Edited by gary mac

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1391377882' post='2356566']
I figured out in my case it was dehydration.
[/quote]

This is quite often the cause of cramps, as well as playing on an empty stomach and not warming up in advance of a gig or practice session, with gentle stretches.

• 1 year later...

This happened to me at the gig last night. Right in the middle of bloody 'Livin' On a Prayer' and first my left hand threatens to cramp up and then my right hand goes into a full on lock with my index finger clamped against my palm! Ouch! I kind of carried on, with the other fingers of my right hand, but not without dropping a couple of bars in the middle. :( I wonder if it's because I'm leaning my right hand on the edge of the bass and cutting off the blood supply/pressing on the tendons. That wouldn't explain the left hand though. Clearly I need to sort it out, and possibly improve my picking so that I have it as a standby.

Any more thoughts?

Play in front of a mirror and study your technique, look to see if you're bending your wrists anywhere or or too tense, and cutting off the blood supply.

Maybe get a lesson locally to improve your playing technique/style ?

I'm guessing that your right hand is not your fretting hand and your age is also unclear. Be that as it may, there are a number of exercises that you can do before playing to prepare your hands for vigorous usage. I second the suggestion that you play in front of a mirror the same way that you play onstage. You may see something that surprises you. If you have a friend who also plays bass you've got an extra pair of eyes.

It may be something very simple and easy to remedy. But, if you wait too long, it may become chronic. Carpel tunnel syndrome sucks and has ended the careers of many good musicians.

Good Luck!

I agree with the comment about making sure your strap is a comfortable length. If it's too high and you find your forearm resting along the edge of the bass too hard you are restricting the blood flow to your right hand. Your wrist will also be at an awkward angle which worsens the effects. Continuing playing like that can lead to carpel tunnel or tendinitis which is frankly no fun for anybody.
Definitely worth getting a lesson to focus on technique before you do yourself a mischief...

• 3 months later...

This happened to me again at my gig on Friday night - in the same number. I think I had taken every precaution and piece of advice offered - so thanks for all of those. However, I suspect what is going on is actually [url="http://dystonia.org.uk/index.php/about-dystonia/types-of-dystonia/focal-hand-dystonia"]focal dystonia[/url]. It describes the symptoms pretty well. The fingers 'lock' and won't do what I want them to do, but there's no real pain associated with it. It's to do with the mapping of the fingers in the brain. It's a bit of a bummer, if it is, because it may well put paid to my playing. :mellow:

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1436097781' post='2814875']
I suspect [/quote]

My advice would be to... [u]be sure[/u]... by a visit to a medical expert. It is not
recommended that you use the Internet to diagnose medical problems.

Hope you get it sorted. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1391377882' post='2356566']
Its happened to me a few times on a long gig. I figured out in my case it was dehydration.
[/quote]

I've never tried that, but I will now. Next time I am stumped by a problem, I'll take the bass out of its case, lie in there myself, and wait for inspiration to strike.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1391376692' post='2356539']
Last night my right hand cramped up a couple of songs from the end of the gig, quite painful in fact!
It has happened a couple of times before!
Wondered if any one else suffers from this?
[/quote]

Hand stretches are important and so is hydration. Also look up about lactic acid build up and how Vitamin C can help :)

Also be aware that medical issues need to be looked at by a Doctor.

Best wishes

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1436113371' post='2815058']
My advice would be to... [u]be sure[/u]... by a visit to a medical expert. It is not
recommended that you use the Internet to diagnose medical problems.

Hope you get it sorted. :)
[/quote]

Totally!