Why become a member? ×

Preamp/buffer confusion

Torben Hedstrøm

Hi.

My love for EBS Microbass have made me curious, as to other preamps out there. As a replacement, I have currently narrowed it down to two choices... Sound quaility and flexibility are the key paramters here :). I am playing 1 or 2 frettted basses, and one fretless, only other effect at the moment is a tech 21 Chorus, and it is not likely that alot more effects will come into the setup...

1. The Lehle basswitch (The obvious choice somehow... Legendary !)

2. A Lehle d.loop sgos, and one or two other preamp pedals in any configuration.

2'nd solution somehow seems the most flexible, but I am slightly doubful about the effect on sound quality. Both the d.loop n itself, but particularly cabling it up with other pedals... However, it gives me more choice (also to 'shop' a great preamp at a good price). Fact is that I have a very very good offer on a d.loop, so potentially I could make this setup or a fair price. However... I am not going to save £100 or so to sacrifice sound quality.

Any opnions or experiences with the d.loop ?.

• 2 months later...

The Basswitch preamp/DI the way to go. I was in a similar situation as you with different basses and a couple of effects and preamps.
In the end I tried everything with differend pedal preamps and a looper.... and I went with the Basswitch.
Mainly because you have everything in a single unit and it just sounds RIGHT!