Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Ken Smith BSR 5MW s/p
£2300

sztomi

For sale from first owner: all original Ken Smith BSR MW5 with figured walnut top and parallel-series switches, original hard case and all factory accessories.

Price or trade value: [s] 2300 GBP or [/s] [s] 2850 [/s] [color=#FF0000][u]2350[/u][/color] EUR, plus shipping

Birth year: 2007
Neck: 3 piece laminated 34' aged maple bolt-on with the newer 2/3 gear layout (really tight low B )
Fingerboard: modaro/pau ferro with mother of pearl side dots
Body: walnut top and back with tiger maple core, bubinga stripes
Finish: classic hand rubbed dutch varnish over stradivari gold oil
Harware: solid brass [i]Smith[/i] Hardware & [i]Dunlop[/i] "Dual Design" straplocks
Electronics and pickups: new[i] Smith[/i] B.M.T. 3 band eq 18-volt circuit with frequency dip switches for each band & [i]Smith[/i] custom humbucking pickups with adjustable height pole pieces, + individual series-parallel switches for each pickup

The bass comes in its factory hard case with genuine leather Smith strap and all case candy (wax, etc.). Extra low action and that unique Smith signature sound with the percussive edge of a bolt-on, and a thicker tone in series mode. The ramp is my addition, and can be easily removed without any reminiscence. I will consider trade offers, interested in modern J style high end basses, Sadowsky, F-bass, Lakland or the like.

Should you have any questions, please ask.

Edited by sztomi

Now strung and set up with a brand new set of Smith taper core stainless steel strings.
I am looking for a 5 string fretted bass exclusively, no 4 or 6 string offers pls. Money purchase is best as always ;)

Edited by sztomi

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Having been offered a LOT of basses already, I have narrowed down the list of trade options to the following:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- F bass bn5,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sadowsky NYC standard 5[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Lakland 55-94,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Alleva LM5,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- Xotic XJ 1T5.[/font][/color]

Light ash body, maple board in all cases.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Whoever gets this Smith will have an instrument of[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] truly uncompromising playability and sound.[/font][/color]

Edited by sztomi

I had this exact bass (minus the S/P SWITCHES) and it was the finest bass I've ever owned in 24 years of playing!!!! absolutely beautiful and an amazing warm yet very articulate tone. It also has a fantastic neck im welling up thinking about my lost love :)
someone is going be very pleased with this - bump

i had several smith, GN model, Black Tiger and awesome 25th anniversary model. Now i play a bolt on model and honestly the smith built quality and smith sound still here. Don't hesitate, bolt on model are real smith. Enter the Smith club for a very good price

Fred

Thanks Gary, always nice to meet ,)

Fred, thanks for your comment, I totally agree. I honestly don't see how a handmade bolt-on Smith could ever possibly be inferior to a neck-through. Difference is in dinamics imho, as bolt-ons have more attack, while n-ts are more more compressed, and yes, the woodwork is more attractive. It's a question of taste, no difference in tone or quality. I hope nobody doubts that Chuck Rainey models are real Smiths. Also virtually no difference in price. New price of this adds up to 4,900 USD with these specs (+VAT + customs, etc.).

I hold this low price offer only until the bass I have my eyes on is still available.

Edited by sztomi