Why become a member? ×

COG Pron Thread

woodyratm

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421704557' post='2664207']
You can find Red ones at Dr Tweeks website, but I only found Blue ones at Banzai in Germany. There's a few on eBay, but cheaper at Banzai, so just waited until I needed some other parts :)
[/quote]

My LEDs are red & green and I've just ordered matching knobs. They'll look great. Thanks for the info :D

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1421762530' post='2664643']
My LEDs are red & green and I've just ordered matching knobs. They'll look great. Thanks for the info :D
[/quote]

Good stuff, yeah mine was blue and red simply because thats all Tom had when we were spec'ing the prototype haha.
Maybe it will find it's way to the stock model ;)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1421767582' post='2664743']

Good stuff, yeah mine was blue and red simply because thats all Tom had when we were spec'ing the prototype haha.
Maybe it will find it's way to the stock model ;)

Si
[/quote]

Well it has got me thinking about the final stock model ;-) I'm now 100% happy with the circuit and it's only details like the channel LED config, knob layout etc that are under consideration...

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1421943739' post='2666944']

Well it has got me thinking about the final stock model ;-) I'm now 100% happy with the circuit and it's only details like the channel LED config, knob layout etc that are under consideration...
[/quote]

Looking forward to A/Bing the release with the proto :)

Si

I just got my new knobs. The orange ones are a little lighter that I'd like, but they'll do fine for now. I'm happy with the look though.

[URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/bassboyherms/media/Knightfall%2066%20new%20knobs%20230115_zpsl7wdnbec.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o798/bassboyherms/Knightfall%2066%20new%20knobs%20230115_zpsl7wdnbec.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1421664418' post='2663643']
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I have a TK-421-X with added High Pass Filter control ("Signor Gattino" on the pedalboard pic in my signature), and along with the Knightfall 66 it's a huge part of my sound. It is awesome! I've previously owned a vintage RAT, Fuzzrocious Rat Tail and Idiotbox Blower Box, and I sold them because this destroys them!...I think Tom ships them with the NE5534 chip, which sounds good, but I had him fit the LM308 in mine and it's perfect. Absolutely no low-end loss, and when you've heard it with the gain up on the asymmetric LEDs setting you'll never go back! ;) [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Just got it, you weren't kidding, this thing is killer!

I got mine too!! It's amazing isn't it? Surprisingly versatile too...

[URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/bassboyherms/media/COG%20TK-421-X%20HPF%20mod_zpsyo56s2bd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o798/bassboyherms/COG%20TK-421-X%20HPF%20mod_zpsyo56s2bd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 2 weeks later...

right, TK-421 owners, I have a question...

I'm looking to put something in the chain between a BB preamp (t/screamer o/d) and a tall font russian (muff)... and the TK-421 sounds like it'd be a good fit. I don't like blends, generally, apart from on extreme fuzz pedals (like the diabolik) - so to those of you with the 421x, do you really find the blend useful, or anything else that it has over the basic model?? I like my stuff to be pretty simple, so am drawn to the basic pedal...

I have the BB set for a bass boost, and the TFR is very subby, so I want to be able to set it the 421, accepting it's a ratty distortion, so that it'll sit nicely next to my other pedals, with a decent low-end whallop :)

cheers

Edited by GazWills

Gaz, I'd say the TK-421-X is an extreme pedal. It's brutal with the gain up high. If you don't like dry signal, just dial it out. The blend is definitely more wet oriented than 50/50 wet/dry anyhow. There are also internal dip switches that select differend diodes for clipping (Silicon Symmetrical, Silicon Asymmetrical, LED Asymmetrical and LED Symmetrical) and dip switches for the dirt LPF (Standard "RAT" tone roll-off, Standard COG tone roll-off and Deep COG tone roll-off). Also internally is a Dry Level trim control. I got mine with the addittional dirt HPF and I'm glad I did - having a LPF and HPF on the dirt means I can dial out some low and/or high end if I choose to.
I personally like some dry signal in there as I like a deep low end anyhow, so the TK-421 wasn't really going to be my cup of tea. But the TK-421-X, having the extra filter, blend and internal options was right up my street. And having six knobs on isn't really confusing. It's easy to dial in changes quickly and intuitively.
Also, the TK-421's jacks are side mounted and the TK-421-X's jacks are north mounted, so if pedal board space is an issue I bet they'd both take up about the same room anyhow.
The TK-421-X will do low end whallop by the bucket load. And the distortion will have your guitardists running for cover.
Hope that helps :)

Edited by ratman

Just took delivery of this monster!!

""Midoctachoruzz" Custom Bass Multi-Effects
This pedal is totally stupid... and that's why I love it. With a T-65 Octave, analogue chorus and Grand Tarkin Bass Fuzz together in a series loop, all in parallel with a mid-humped clean blend you are not going to get a nice subtle "I just want a little bit of amp-like breakup when I dig in" kind of sound. You've got a pedal for that already, it's cool. This pedal has a knob labelled "Honk" and totally gets away with it.

Built specially for Ant Wright of Brawlers in a joint bid to make some nasty sounds on Radio 1 and festival stages this summer. Winner."

Edited by Ant

well, after ratmans response above, and some incredibly helpful emails from Tom, I went ahead and ordered a TK-421-X. Can't wait :)

I know people often say that some builders have 'good comms' but that really doesn't go far enough with Tom - I asked him a typically nerdy question before deciding on the 421-X, and before responding he actually looked up my pedalboard on the PYPB thread and then in his email talked me through how the different models of the TK-421 would fare against what I already have. Truly a top bloke, and I'll be glad to have one of his pedals on my board.

Here's what arrived at my door today, a lovely shiny new blender. Mmmm, parallel octaves.

[URL=http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/bassboyherms/media/Rogue%20Leader%20180215_zpscooyp4f4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o798/bassboyherms/Rogue%20Leader%20180215_zpscooyp4f4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1424294414' post='2694943']
looks ace, parallel octaves huh? what you using?
[/quote]
I have a DOD Octoplus and a Pearl OC-07. They are both in one loop, and all my dirt pedals are in the other. Which ever octave I have on can now run in parallel with whatever dirt is selected. It sounds so much better than running octave in series, where it gets a bit messy sounding.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1423907966' post='2690199']
Just took delivery of this monster!!

""Midoctachoruzz" Custom Bass Multi-Effects
This pedal is totally stupid... and that's why I love it. With a T-65 Octave, analogue chorus and Grand Tarkin Bass Fuzz together in a series loop, all in parallel with a mid-humped clean blend you are not going to get a nice subtle "I just want a little bit of amp-like breakup when I dig in" kind of sound. You've got a pedal for that already, it's cool. This pedal has a knob labelled "Honk" and totally gets away with it.

Built specially for Ant Wright of Brawlers in a joint bid to make some nasty sounds on Radio 1 and festival stages this summer. Winner."
[/quote]

i approve of this greatly! beast of a pedal.

i have the chorus on all the time on my "Red 5"

andy

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1424288851' post='2694850']
well, after ratmans response above, and some incredibly helpful emails from Tom, I went ahead and ordered a TK-421-X. Can't wait :-)
[/quote]

Good decision! Get that LPF on the blend, asymmetric LEDS, crank the gain and peel your guitarist(s) off the wall ;-)

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1424288851' post='2694850']
well, after ratmans response above, and some incredibly helpful emails from Tom, I went ahead and ordered a TK-421-X. Can't wait :-)
[/quote]

Good decision! Get that LPF on the blend, asymmetric LEDS, crank the gain and peel your guitarist(s) off the wall ;-)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1424300481' post='2695019']
i approve of this greatly! beast of a pedal.

i have the chorus on all the time on my "Red 5"

andy
[/quote]

the chorus into the fuzz is awesome! cant get enough of it

Tom also increased the gain available on the fuzz, so the normal max gain is around 3 o'clock and then i can push it a bit further for some super swelled out phat phuzz

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1424343566' post='2695287']
the chorus into the fuzz is awesome! cant get enough of it

Tom also increased the gain available on the fuzz, so the normal max gain is around 3 o'clock and then i can push it a bit further for some super swelled out phat phuzz
[/quote]
Oh man, I've got to give chorus>fuzz a go! I'd never have thought of that :)