Why become a member? ×

COG Pron Thread

woodyratm

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1399649424' post='2446329']
:-D mosfet on the first channel ( always on) 2nd channel led as well.it's great having the 1st channel ran into my Vtbass bass as my tone :-)
[/quote]

Good call Dan! I'm going to try LEDs on the second channel instead of MOSFET actually, Tom gave my second channel higher gain so it should sound brutal! :-)

I liked the sound of the Germys on the first channel, but struggled a bit to get unity volume at low gain (I refuse to use the blend). MOSFET at low gain just gives it a valvey, dynamic grit which I LOVE! :-)

Sounds like you won't have a problem with low end. I'm a firm believer that if the drive circuit retains the low end already, you only need a blend to bring back some definition and dynamics to heavy fuzz/distortion, most overdrives sound better without it. So it depends how high you want to set the gain, but if you want a blend I'm sure he could sort you out! The '66 Knightfall has a blend as well as bass and treble controls and two channels BTW.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Bassmurf' timestamp='1399800319' post='2447680']
Just wondering if I should contact Tom and see if he can do one with a clean blend?
[/quote]

I asked the same thing, but a standard Knightfall with a blend will set you back £140. You may as well get a 66 for an extra couple of quid, lots more bang for your buck. I did, and it rocks! You will not lose any low end, I promise. There is so much on tap. You're asking the same questions I did a few weeks ago, and Tom answered them all. Call him, He'll be happy to put your mind at rest. A bunch of BCers just told me just to get one, I wouldn't regret it. I'm now saying the same to you. Just do it. You will love it. It's the best drive pedal I have owned by a country mile. I've just done my first 2 gigs with it and everyone has commented on the tone and definition because it doesn't get lost in the general mix. Call Tom and sort it out!

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1399803431' post='2447723']

I asked the same thing, but a standard Knightfall with a blend will set you back £140. You may as well get a 66 for an extra couple of quid, lots more bang for your buck. I did, and it rocks! You will not lose any low end, I promise. There is so much on tap. You're asking the same questions I did a few weeks ago, and Tom answered them all. Call him, He'll be happy to put your mind at rest. A bunch of BCers just told me just to get one, I wouldn't regret it. I'm now saying the same to you. Just do it. You will love it. It's the best drive pedal I have owned by a country mile. I've just done my first 2 gigs with it and everyone has commented on the tone and definition because it doesn't get lost in the general mix. Call Tom and sort it out!
[/quote]

Was my only reservation - getting lost in the band mix - but everybody seems to be very happy once they've got theirs in their various setups - hadn't thought about the '66, will have to go and have a look at that one, cheers dannybuoy and ratman!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1399639870' post='2446164']
Ooo, this is totally turning into a 'share your 66 clipping choices' ;)
I'm currently on Germs for low gain and LEDs for high gain

Si
[/quote]

I was messing round with the rectifiers (silicon 1n4001s) on the second channel last night actually, and they sound REALLY good with high gain, 2 o'clock blend and boosted highs. Really meaty! Might stick with this and keep MOSFET on the first channel for low gain, they're completely different sounds.

1n4001s don't seem that popular as clipping diode choice generally I've found...Wonder why that is? :huh:

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1400167673' post='2451403']
I was messing round with the rectifiers (silicon 1n4001s) on the second channel last night actually, and they sound REALLY good with high gain, 2 o'clock blend and boosted highs. Really meaty! Might stick with this and keep MOSFET on the first channel for low gain, they're completely different sounds.

1n4001s don't seem that popular as clipping diode choice generally I've found...Wonder why that is? :huh:
[/quote]
Take a peek at this thread - I learnt something new today too :D

[url="http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=79986.0"]http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=79986.0[/url]

I'm now getting COG-Gas. Anyone have a cure for that? "My name is Ian and I have an ....... effects pedal addiction"

Ian

COG-gassification is justified - just updated my board (again) to put a Digitech BSW in the effects loop of the T-65 octave. not for everyone but i really like it. Tom reckons a Knightfall in the loop is great (and I just 'happen' to have a single Knightfall standing around idly....)

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1400274843' post='2452635']
So looking forward to my T65 and chorus in one pedal. Tom says may be ready end of June. Everyone on here seems to be really pleased with their pedals. Cannot wait to join the club
[/quote]

you wnt be disappointed! if the chorus is similar to the on in my "red 5" will be awesome best chorus ive used by far

andy

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1400276331' post='2452650']
After all the stuff that I've read hear, it's making me want a Knightfall 66, especially all the stuff about it stacking well with other pedals
[/quote]

Just get one. I was using it this weekend, after the TK-421 (Tom's Rat clone) and/or the Wren & Cuff TFR, and it sounds totally brutal but just sits so well with a band. Especially effective against two noisy guitarists with JCM 800s! ;-)

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1400276331' post='2452650']
After all the stuff that I've read hear, it's making me want a Knightfall 66, especially all the stuff about it stacking well with other pedals
[/quote]

Just get one. I was using it this weekend, after the TK-421 (Tom's Rat clone) and/or the Wren & Cuff TFR, and it sounds totally brutal but just sits so well with a band. Especially effective against two noisy guitarists with JCM 800s! ;-)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1400435584' post='2453852']

Just get one. I was using it this weekend, after the TK-421 (Tom's Rat clone) and/or the Wren & Cuff TFR, and it sounds totally brutal but just sits so well with a band.
Especially effective against two noisy guitarists with JCM 800s! ;-)
[/quote]

I recently got a TFR as well, the Beta I find brilliant, I'd really have to try one before I think about it, no chance of that happening on this rock I live on! Plus I'd only really be using one part of the 66!

• 1 month later...

Here's my 'Aeolus' pedal Tom built. It's his Darklighter drive on the right hand side, a Hao Rust Ride clone on the left and a Brown Source clone in the middle.

[attachment=165457:Cog.JPG]

And here's a very basic demo I recorded straight into my Mac with a Lakland Duck Dunn P bass (Lindy Fralin p/u, tone wide open).

Its Brown Source clone, then Darklighter then Hao clone then same order again only lower down the fret board and finally all three together for that gnarly tone!

https://soundcloud.com/krispn

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1403468144' post='2483024']
Here's my 'Aeolus' pedal Tom built. It's his Darklighter drive on the right hand side, a Hao Rust Ride clone on the left and a Brown Source clone in the middle.

[attachment=165457:Cog.JPG]

And here's a very basic demo I recorded straight into my Mac with a Lakland Duck Dunn P bass (Lindy Fralin p/u, tone wide open).

Its Brown Source clone, then Darklighter then Hao clone then same order again only lower down the fret board and finally all three together for that gnarly tone!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/krispn"]https://soundcloud.com/krispn[/url]
[/quote]

nice!

andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New T-65 day yesterday :)

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2ynjhu0.png[/IMG]

Slightly custom in that its a buffered effect, the reason for this is to be able to run the loop even when the pedal is off. This means I can run a loop of effects as my 'main sound' and simply introduce the Octave in parallel as opposed to have it series, but also use those pedals on their own without the Octave being on. In this setup, the input comes from bass, and the output to amp, with everything else being in the loop.
I can obviously also use it as a 'standard' pedal with the loop off and just running its output to other pedals in series.

Lovely
Si

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1407431082' post='2520522']
Probably have to use an insert cable, typical in fx loops (this is the EBS one):

Yup that's the one :)

Si
[/quote]

Correct indeed! Ring is send, tip is return. This will allow to use the return of the loop with a mono cable for other inputs (samples, drum machine, previously split and processed signal etc), as well as the stock use of an insert cable to use it as an effects loop. On Si's "Squares" version, the loop automatically closes if no cable is inserted.