Why become a member? ×

COG Pron Thread

woodyratm

Since there seems to be more and more of the excellent COG units appearing on basschat - thought it would be a cool idea to have them all in one place where we can drool/dream/discuss all things COG.

Here is my LS-2 on steroids.
[attachment=154099:1459781_10151750232815764_1730249692_n.jpg] [attachment=154102:1477552_10151761509360764_1260600624_n(1).jpg]

Swaps between A then B or A + B, with level controls for both sections, phase switches on both and amazing Solid Snake etching :)

I've also got a new unit on the way, which was the brain child of my brain and imagination going wild, and Tom assisting heavily!
It's the GREY FUZZ?! (no affiliation towards the stache!), but not so much of a nod but a full blown point at Grey Fox from metal gear (Cyborg Ninja). It will house 2 fuzz circuits (TK-421-x and Grand Tarkin) with HPF and LPF on the TK and usual tone controls from the Tarkin. It will have 3 inputs over all (in TK, in Tarkin, In clean) but can be ran with one cable into a single input (and both circuits work!). The 3rd input will have a feed from after my tuner (before oc2) into another octave/compressor and just be insane.

Hopefully with this artwork - [url="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NQP53M-CrTE/UAPCmR4KLZI/AAAAAAAABL0/pQyxirRGsew/s1600/metal%2Bgear%2Bsolid%2Bmgs%2Btwin%2Bsnake%2Bfrank%2Bjaeger%2Bgrey%2Bfox%2Bcyborg%2Bninja%2Bwallpaper%2Bbackground.jpg"]http://4.bp.blogspot...Bbackground.jpg[/url] - and of course, a single LED on the Ninja mask, Far too excited for this!

So come on, get yer cogs oot!

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1391508402' post='2357817']
I've also got a new unit on the way, which was the brain child of my brain and imagination going wild, and Tom assisting heavily!
It's the GREY FUZZ?! (no affiliation towards the stache!), but not so much of a nod but a full blown point at Grey Fox from metal gear (Cyborg Ninja). It will house 2 fuzz circuits (TK-421-x and Grand Tarkin) with HPF and LPF on the TK and usual tone controls from the Tarkin. It will have 3 inputs over all (in TK, in Tarkin, In clean) but can be ran with one cable into a single input (and both circuits work!). The 3rd input will have a feed from after my tuner (before oc2) into another octave/compressor and just be insane.
[/quote]

Get photos up as soon as you receive this! Sounds fantastic :)

Just to make you feel even better about the TK-421-x ;) I've just sold a Rat Tail on to our guitarist, having picked one up from Joe's a couple of weeks ago so I could compare with the COG and my old Turbo Rat. The COG destroys the Fuzzrocious! Bizarrely the Rat Tail was my least favourite of the three...Don't know if it's the tin-can LM308 but quite an excessive top-end roll off, and I found the clipping on the highs to be a bit brittle and fizzy? Just couldn't get that "Clank" out of it on the low-gain settings, which is what I love about the original and the COG.

The clean LPF/blend on the COG is just ingenious, makes it SO versatile! I'm very intrigued about the HPF on yours :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1391522935' post='2358073']
Get photos up as soon as you receive this! Sounds fantastic :)

Just to make you feel even better about the TK-421-x ;) I've just sold a Rat Tail on to our guitarist, having picked one up from Joe's a couple of weeks ago so I could compare with the COG and my old Turbo Rat. The COG destroys the Fuzzrocious! Bizarrely the Rat Tail was my least favourite of the three...Don't know if it's the tin-can LM308 but quite an excessive top-end roll off, and I found the clipping on the highs to be a bit brittle and fizzy? Just couldn't get that "Clank" out of it on the low-gain settings, which is what I love about the original and the COG.

The clean LPF/blend on the COG is just ingenious, makes it SO versatile! I'm very intrigued about the HPF on yours :)
[/quote]

For sure man!
The HPF is to give a little nasal sound if possible. Aiming for an animato type sound.

Tom's description - "it will kill people and destroy your enemies".

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1391523487' post='2358085']
The HPF is to give a little nasal sound if possible. Aiming for an animato type sound.
[/quote]

Well, defo let us know how that works out. I've been looking to get the Animato sound for ages, without actually having to fork out for an Animato! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1392714390' post='2371795']
Received my Grand tarkin the other day. Still to play it but a pic below.

Tom changed the frequency response of the clean blend to allow addition of pure low-end under the fuzz. Looking forward to running this with the band!
[/quote]

That sounds pretty cool - is it running into the meatbox? I'll bet that sounds demonic! :D

• 1 month later...

Received this dirty mother in the post on Thursday to go alongside my knightfall66.........
sounds awesome! Used it at practice and to be able to find a fuzz that cuts through the mix is fab.
done and dusted for dirt now I think! Gas can do 1
Tom sure is the man :-)

I've also ordered my Custom COG! It's a 3 channel mixer (like an LS2 with an extra channel and EQ/Phase switch options, I'll post on the when it arrives!

I gone and done a review on the Knightfall Distortion to get people introduced to COG effects, I've tried to include as many different tone options as possible! I'll be doing more of these reviews for Tom in the future; Check it out! (it's my first pedal review, so constructive feedback welcome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDaS_kuY7CQ

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I'm in the throws of adding a 66 to my grand tarkin. How's this set up working for you? What style if music are you using it for? They look well tasty as a pair!!!

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1396809998' post='2417598']
Received this dirty mother in the post on Thursday to go alongside my knightfall66.........
sounds awesome! Used it at practice and to be able to find a fuzz that cuts through the mix is fab.
done and dusted for dirt now I think! Gas can do 1
Tom sure is the man :-)
[/quote]

This fulfills my needs lovely. I play in a 3 piece loud band ( bit queens of the stone age esq)
I use 1 channel as nearly always on,the other as a boost and the fuzz for the simple doom ;-)
There is a endless amount of options by mixing the pedals and changing the 66's internal diode selector ( it sure is fab).although I prefer the tarkin sound on its own when engaged.
So ideal if you need drive options :-)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1398033230' post='2429791']
my pedal is finally on its way to me!

finally got paid so was able to pay the final payment! cant wait to get it in on to my board

[url="http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/red-five.php"]http://www.cogeffect...uk/red-five.php[/url]

andy
[/quote]

Ah man, that looks awesome! :-)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1398033230' post='2429791']
my pedal is finally on its way to me!

finally got paid so was able to pay the final payment! cant wait to get it in on to my board

[url="http://www.cogeffects.co.uk/red-five.php"]http://www.cogeffect...uk/red-five.php[/url]

andy
[/quote]

I saw this on fb. Looks excellent.

My Grey Fuzz?! has been shipped.

PS if anyone is wondering where the ?! comes from:- It's what snake says the first time he see's grey fox in Metal Gear Solid. There - casual nerd moment for the day complete!