Why become a member? ×

Action/string height on EUB

Funkmaster

Since getting my Warwick Triumph EUB this New Year I've really enjoyed getting to grips with it, and with nearly 6 months under the belt now I feel as if I'm starting to get to know it. Well I feel like the bass doesn't 'have it in for me' [i]every [/i]time I get it out of the case at least!

BUT... wandering round music shops I've been comparing the action/string height on my EUB (which is as delivered and fairly low) to the action / string height on accoustic double basses I see, which seems massive!

Is there any mileage, do you think in hiking up the action on my EUB? Would it make it more playable?

I'd be glad for any advice you've got for me on this.

(I know, I know, I should get some lessons and that way my tutor aould be able to give me some advice on this too!)

Cheers guys

David

Edited by Funkmaster

Most stock cheap plywood basses have never been set up properly and have a completely unplayable action so I wouldn't use them as a comparison. However, I play with a very high action on my double bass. It's a lot harder on the left hand but if you play regularly you'll get used to it within a month or so. Main advantages are having a lot more space for the string to vibrate, less noise from the string hitting the fingerboard, you can really dig in to the string, a hell of a lot more volume and a beefier sound. It requires a lot more effort to shred though. Don't expect rapid Eddie Gomez style lines to come easily, think more Larry Grenadier. Another way to get this sound is keep the setup the same and change the strings to Spirocore Stark or similar. The much heavier gauge will help. I find light jazz strings way too sloppy on 3/4 scale eubs (the ones that come on NS design basses are awful). Hope this helps, Chris

I think it depends on the type of music and playing style you are going for.

Old school DB sound relies on having a high action. As Chris says, you get a much meatier, thumpier tone. If you're after a boppy Jimmy Blanton - Paul Chambers - Ray Brown sound, go high.

The later more virtuosic players like Scott LaFaro, Eddie Gomez and Stanley Clarke all have a much lower action which lets them fly around the instrument.

Or maybe you're not playing jazz at all. For bluegrass, rockabilly etc, action is high. Maybe for folk and pop a lower action would suit you better.

I've never tried the Warwick EUB, but my NS Designs came with a very low action. The sound was a bit like a big fretless - lots of mwah, not much thump. Jacking up the action and putting on some proper DB strings helped a lot.

I think that having a higher action doesn't help with playability, but it does make you work within the limits of the instrument more. I found it easier to play 'authentic' sounding DB lines with a higher action because it forces me to pay more attention to each note, use open strings creatively etc.

Enjoy those aching hands, David!

Thanks for those replies guys! Very, very useful.

I'm not really going for viruosity, the Stanley Clarke or eddie Gomez angle. 35 years of bass guitar playing has made me no more than a 'bass-line' player.

On the DB, at the moment I'm definitely more of a 'thumper'. The DB is my full-time instrument in the ceilidh band I play for - fretless Thumb for back up, for when the hands ache! - so folkie use at the moment. I don't get much opportunity to play jazz - I'd love to do more.

One of the things I'm really enjoying about using the DB is the way you have to [i]think[/i] about the notes you play so much more. The [i]'thought through to bassline'[/i] process that's been almost subconcious on the bass guitar for decades now takes real thought on the DB! Great fun!

Thanks again for the info both.

David

Having watched you play , Dave - though only the once on the Triumph - you never strike me as 'heavy handed'. I'm not sure how your hands would take to upping the action.
You mention how your approach to your basslines has changed with the EUB and I'd have thought any help from the instrument - like a low action - would be a help to you rather than a hinderance.

Not sure you give the right impression describing yourself as no more than a bass line player. The lines I've stolen from you are hardly root note wonders!!

I'll be coming to see you on the Sun aft at the Clarence Park Fest. If you stick around til early eve we're doing the ZZ trib there , where you'll see a bass player struggle with a dog of an instrument and sticking to root notes!!!
Sadly the Explorer is hardly my Shuker or your Warwicks.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='25897' date='Jul 2 2007, 10:46 AM']Having watched you play , Dave - though only the once on the Triumph - you never strike me as 'heavy handed'. I'm not sure how your hands would take to upping the action.
You mention how your approach to your basslines has changed with the EUB and I'd have thought any help from the instrument - like a low action - would be a help to you rather than a hinderance.

Not sure you give the right impression describing yourself as no more than a bass line player. The lines I've stolen from you are hardly root note wonders!!

I'll be coming to see you on the Sun aft at the Clarence Park Fest. If you stick around til early eve we're doing the ZZ trib there , where you'll see a bass player struggle with a dog of an instrument and sticking to root notes!!!
Sadly the Explorer is hardly my Shuker or your Warwicks.[/quote]

Hey-up Dave! Long time no see!

Yeah - I think I'll keep the Triumph action where it is at the moment. You're right about me not being too much of a thumper!
I'm gettiing to grips with note spacing a lot better since the last time you saw me play it - and I've added a Pickup Booster to the set up to deal with the low output issue. But especially the ceilidh stuff - it's pretty much root fifth all the way....

Looking forward to the beer tent at Clarence - lets hope for good weather! So far - I've nothing booked for the evening, so I'll definitely stay to watch your set. Is 'Fool for your socks' in the set? And 'I thank you'? The Roosters do them and I love playing both!

See you soon

Dave

It's 'stockings' - not socks - and I'll be wearing both!

That , and 'I thank you' are in our set but we only have 45mins at Clarence and don't know if they'll both make it in. One of them hopefully.

There's a bit of the former here - from our debut gig at the Clarence fundraiser last year.
[url="http://www.eliminatoruk.net/media.html"]http://www.eliminatoruk.net/media.html[/url]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='26006' date='Jul 2 2007, 01:30 PM']It's 'stockings' - not socks - and I'll be wearing both!

That , and 'I thank you' are in our set but we only have 45mins at Clarence and don't know if they'll both make it in. One of them hopefully.

There's a bit of the former here - from our debut gig at the Clarence fundraiser last year.
[url="http://www.eliminatoruk.net/media.html"]http://www.eliminatoruk.net/media.html[/url][/quote]

Good work that, Dave! The Rooeters is a major scale blues version. Are you knocking a DVD out at gigs? Welsh T's one, also done at the Snooty sold well enough.