Why become a member? ×

Flute!

andyonbass

So my daughter comes home from Air Cadets the other night with a flute. She's in the marching band and has been banging away on a drum but her logic is "it'll be easier to march with a flute!" She can't actually play one (although she can make some flute-like noises!) but her brief was to see if she could figure it out as there is no-one else there who knows how to play one, let alone teach her!
If there are any BC'ers who have any hints or tips or could point us to an internet or other resource that might give her a fighting chance I/we would be most grateful...........
Thanks in anticipation.....
Andy

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1391950316' post='2362869']...If there are any BC'ers who have any hints or tips or could point us to an internet or other resource that might give her a fighting chance I/we would be most grateful...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Andy...

I searched for 'flute lessons skype uk' and got a fair return, such as ...

[url="http://www.jqflute.com/skype-flute-lessons.html"]Flute lessons, Skype...[/url]

Worth a look, maybe..?

Begin by just blowing into the hole (as you would blow into a milk bottle to produce a note) with the aim of producing long notes of consistant volume and quality. Practice this until a consistent note can be produced when required.

Once that is acheived, attach the other part of the instrument and practice until notes can be produced to the same consistancy.

Understanding of the musical scale will help with pitch recognition and the art of producing the correct note when required. Knowing the scale and understanding music theory will help with visualising the note in the mind before aiming to produce it, always a bonus with wind instruments.

Progress with wind instruments does go much quicker though if there's someone more experienced playing the same intrument. They'll provide real time examples of how it's done, answer questions (hopefully) and inspire progress.

Hope that helps

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1391953913' post='2362910']
Good afternoon, Andy...
I searched for 'flute lessons skype uk' and got a fair return, such as ...
[url="http://www.jqflute.com/skype-flute-lessons.html"]Flute lessons, Skype...[/url]
Worth a look, maybe..?
[/quote]

Never realised you could get Skype lessons!! Thanks for the link, I will suggest this to my daughter

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1391955298' post='2362931']
Begin by just blowing into the hole (as you would blow into a milk bottle to produce a note) with the aim of producing long notes of consistant volume and quality. Practice this until a consistent note can be produced when required.
Once that is acheived, attach the other part of the instrument and practice until notes can be produced to the same consistancy.
Understanding of the musical scale will help with pitch recognition and the art of producing the correct note when required. Knowing the scale and understanding music theory will help with visualising the note in the mind before aiming to produce it, always a bonus with wind instruments.
Progress with wind instruments does go much quicker though if there's someone more experienced playing the same intrument. They'll provide real time examples of how it's done, answer questions (hopefully) and inspire progress.
Hope that helps
[/quote]

Sound advice, thanks. Will pass this on also :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a much better flute player than I am bass player! I don't play all that much anymore but I was grade 8 standard for a long time and If you have specific questions I can try to answer them.

I can't recommend enough that she get a few lessons. Getting the embouchure (shape of your mouth and lips) right is difficult and it will be significantly easier with a teacher to help out.

The easiest note to start with is C5 (the C right in the middle of the treble clef). She should work on trying to produce clear notes that are consistent in tone. Each note should be articulated with the tongue, if you imagine saying "taw" at the start of each note that gets you pretty close. Posture is important, you need to support each note with the diaphragm and so you need to be upright and not horribly slouched.

Warning: she will get dizzy at first. You waste something like 65% of the air you blow out whilst playing. Have a chair nearby!!

Good luck, its a wonderful instrument.

I'm looking for a flautist to help with a recording project for my university course. I need to write an arrangement (or reverse engineer an arrangement :) ). Basically I'm writing a piece of ambient music, and need someone to improvise something over it, if anyone's interested :) .