Why become a member? ×

Stagg edb short battery life mods!

Fun-da-mental

Hi all
Although I've had my edb for a while now, it's not been out much. I regularly play in pit bands in theatre (usually on electric bass) and on the couple of shows where I took my stagg I was embarrassed by flat battery issues (usually accompanied by a loud tthhhhppp!)
Anyways - had a night spare so thought I'd tackle the issue. Many years ago I completed a btec in electronic design and spent 20 years as an electronics service engineer -however please feel free to pick up from where I left off and let's develop this further.
The current consumption of my standard preamp was 20ma
It's now 3ma
Here's what I did:

1. The first preamp chip is a tl072. Replace with a tl062. Still sounds good to me and no excessive hiss or noise
2. Disconnect the supply rails to the two LM386 power amp chips (pin 6 on each -heat and lift with a pin)
3. Put two cheap red LEDs in series with existing blue led

With the mods the headphone socket will not work - you could introduce a switch to power up the lm386 if that was a problem to you. Personally I always found the headphone jack noisey and never used it.
The series led mean that you get a true battery indicator. As the battery voltage falls from 9v the led stays full brightness until 6v - at which point it goes out. On my unit the preamp still worked right down to 3.2v so you would get plenty of warning.

I have found that the tone at the jack output is unaffected by the modifications.
I hope this is of help to someone.
Cheers all

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392068832' post='2364411']
what a great first post! :D
[/quote]
yes!

I'm not familiar with the instrument, but wonder why there are two LM386 chips? Is one headphones out and the other line out? Would it help leaving the headphone chip unconnected if it is not used? Great mod. (I did 20 years electronics, now do software - easier to modify!)

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Just did step 2  only and from 20mA it went to 7mA.

2. Disconnect the supply rails to the two LM386 power amp chips (pin 6 on each -heat and lift with a pin)

Re. Step 1. I have found on the internet that:

- TL062 is the low power version of the TL082. 
- TL072 is the low noise version of the TL082. 

I`m very shocked after I have found that my EDB Deluxe is quieter than my P-Bass or Jazz Bass. No hiss not a TINY bit of ANY noise!

I did not bother do any shielding as preamp`s casing  acts well as a shield 

Thanks For sharing this will prolong  battery life  by 3 times!

I have cut the lugs with sharp blade. No heat used... (It`s one way ticket - you wont fix it back!)

STAGG-MOD.jpg

Edited by zvirus

The Stagg I owned and the Yamaha SLB200 that I use now both have a power switch in the output jack and some owners are not aware of this and wonder why their batteries don't last. If the cable is plugged in the preamp is on.

I assume from the work you have done that you know a lot about electronics and are aware of this but I thought I'd toss it out just so others with battery problems following this thread might find it useful before they look for other solutions.

I liked my Stagg but I love the SLB 200, it works for me.

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

The Stagg I owned and the Yamaha SLB200 that I use now both have a power switch in the output jack and some owners are not aware of this and wonder why their batteries don't last. If the cable is plugged in the preamp is on.

Very good point. 

I was aware of it long time ago... before went to passive basses. Can`t afford "proper"  DB so must use stagg and its active electronic.... :(

Just for a bit of info. Before the mod after about week of playing I guess 2-3h in total  battery voltage dropped  about 1V - In a week WITHOUT jack inserted into Stagg`s output.

So 20mA draw from factory is A LOT I`d say...

SLB 200.... say nothing... wish I could afford...

Cheers!

Edited by zvirus

10 minutes ago, zvirus said:

Just for a bit of info. Before the mod after about week of playing I guess 2-3h in total  battery voltage dropped  about 1V - In a week WITHOUT jack inserted into Stagg`s output.

That is pretty strange, a lot of drop with the jack out. I didn't keep track of my batteries on a regular basis when I had the Stagg  but did check them before each gig and replaced them if they had dropped much but I can't remember the details.The batteries lasted quite a while before they started to die and the EUB got quieter and quieter and finally quit, I wish I had checked the voltage at that point to see exactly where it quit working.

I actually used the Stagg a lot, it was my first foray into the upright world and sounded good in my jazz quartet but when an SLB appeared with an unbelievably low price I just had to buy it and although some people don't like them it is perfect for me.

BTW, I went even farther down the slippery slope last year when I visited England ( I'm Canadian ) and went to the double bass bash in April.That experience produced serious GAS and last June I bought a DB and use it on most gigs but use the SLB for rehearsals and gigs in venues with limited space.

Be careful, upright is addictive, but so much fun! 😉😊

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

Be careful, upright is addictive, but so much fun! 😉😊

Well well :) I was scared to move on Electric DB but now I prefer to play (actually learn) on EDB than play electric bass so looks its too late.... I`m already collecting money for DB(!)

After Stagg`s arrival wife  said: " I was thinking you are getting Double bass not some sort of ugly stick! 🙄 "

NOTHING is better than a sound of a Double Bass - NOTHING.... I play fretless too and still insist DB sounds more "woody"....

That is pretty strange, a lot of drop with the jack out. I didn't keep track of my batteries on a regular basis when I had the Stagg  but did check them before each gig and replaced them if they had dropped much but I can't remember the details.

For one person it will be nothing for another plenty.... I do not care as my stagg draws only 7mA.... and I`m a far away from gigging yet :) 

Cheers!

Well your wife has the right idea and you are very lucky that way.Go for it!😉

Not particularly good pics but this is me with the Stagg I had and my Engelhardt Swingmaster ES9, not a very well regarded bass by some, but it looks great and sounds good for the music I play. 

DSCN0645.thumb.jpeg.c5ecfb669887ad5a28d066dec3e33dd5.jpegDSCN0725.thumb.jpg.8ec5ea13198cb54538a16a5a041bea3a.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Staggering on said:

Well your wife has the right idea and you are very lucky that way.Go for it!😉

Not particularly good pics but this is me with the Stagg I had and my Engelhardt Swingmaster ES9, not a very well regarded bass by some, but it looks great and sounds good for the music I play. 

DSCN0645.thumb.jpeg.c5ecfb669887ad5a28d066dec3e33dd5.jpegDSCN0725.thumb.jpg.8ec5ea13198cb54538a16a5a041bea3a.jpg

:)  
This photo explains your Avatar....  great studio and good looking DB too...