Why become a member? ×

double bass bow

Jezyorkshire

on reflection when i took up double bass about 5 years ago during the 3 years i was playing i would have developed more as a player if i had learnt to bow, with that in mind i think now i have took up double bass again i should get stuck into it, i reckon i ought to get a carbon fibre probably german bow, i am considerin the Yita ones on ebay as they seem to come reccommended by those who have used them, unless someone can persuade me against them or sell me a good one cheap lol, thanks , Jez

Hi!

I got a German Yitamusic Top Model A carbon bow and I can't recommend this bow. The stick is too "soft". Other bass players who got the same bow told me the same.

But I have a Yitamusic snakewood bow, not much expensiver than the carbon bow and this bow is excellent! O.k. it's heavy, 161 g, but very well balanced. I know a professional bass player who has some very,very expensive bows (Dörfler, Pfretzschner etc.) but he likes his cheap Yitamusic snakewood bow best.

Best

Thomas

I have a Finale Carbo Fiber (sic) bow I got from String Emporium (mine is French but they do a German one). It worls fine and is, I am led to believe, as good as much more expensive wooden bows. To be fair, though, I also know a master bow maker and he won't talk to me any more!

I bought a French carbon fibre bow from China on eBay a few years ago for about £100. It has continued to work fine and I had it rehaired about a year ago. In the last few months though it seems to have something missing and I have gone back to my well used wood bow (also around £100) as the tone and dynamics seem to be better. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that I like / dislike about either of them.

I bought a cheap bow, from ebay
brand new, for about £35
It's wooden, not carbon fibre

I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons for getting a much better bow
but I'm only dabbling with it, and it seems fine

If you're just learning - maybe one of these isn't a bad idea?
I didn't want to spend a lot, as I'm not sure how much bowing I'll be doing....
Like I say, seems OK to me

Marc

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' timestamp='1392245475' post='2366525']
thanks guys, just as i thought i would be just as confused as before lol, its like a woman telling a bloke to go to the supermarket and get some washing powder for the washing machine !!!!!
[/quote]

Oh no, it can't be[b] that[/b] confusing ;)

I've got a french one of these: [url="http://www.bowshop.co.uk/plain%20black%20%20bass%20bow.html"]http://www.bowshop.co.uk/plain%20black%20%20bass%20bow.html[/url] which I really like for the money. My mum also got a german one at the same time which she prefers to all the other more expensive wooden ones she's had. Plus Tim is a really nice guy.

[quote name='timo' timestamp='1392329983' post='2367597']
I've got a french one of these: [url="http://www.bowshop.co.uk/plain%20black%20%20bass%20bow.html"]http://www.bowshop.c...bass%20bow.html[/url] which I really like for the money. My mum also got a german one at the same time which she prefers to all the other more expensive wooden ones she's had. Plus Tim is a really nice guy.
[/quote]

Your Mum plays bass? Now that's cool. :)