Why become a member? ×

A G in music

timmo

Rob is right. Low G (first line) is the third fret on the E string whilst the high G (top 'gap' between the top two lines)is the open G string, 5th fret of D string, 10th fret of the A string or 14th fret of the E string, all of which are the same note.

Notation not only tells you which note to play as in G, it tell you which G to play. Otherwise, you would be all over the place.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1392194776' post='2365720']
Rob is right. Low G (first line) is the third fret on the E string whilst the high G (top 'gap' between the top two lines)is the open G string, 5th fret of D string, 10th fret of the A string or 14th fret of the E string, all of which are the same note.

Notation not only tells you which note to play as in G, it tell you which G to play. Otherwise, you would be all over the place.
[/quote]
Ahh, now that makes sense. I knew the notes in between the staffs, and knew that you can add extras by putting in your own staffs. I never realised it was to tell you where to play. I always wondered how you knew where to play the notes. So if the notes are in the 5 staffs that are printed, Open A, would be in between the first and second staff lines, the B on the second line would be A string, 2nd fret, C 3rd fret, E on the D string, 2nd fret ect, down to open G between the last 2 staffs. If i wanted to play an A on the 17th fret for example, where would the note be on the staffs?

Edited by timmo

That would be on the top line as it's an octave above the previous A, although it doesnt tell you whether that A is played on the 17th of the E string, the 12th of the A string, the 7th of the D string or the second of the G string. It's obviously the same note, where you play it is down to personal preference and where the previous notes are.

When I'm reading, I actually don't read the notes and think thats an A, thats a C# etc... I read the intervals between them and relate that back to the key signature, ie if I see an A then a note on the next line up I'll play the interval I see. I've no idea if thats right, I've never been taught properly but its served me well :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392214266' post='2366015']
When I'm reading, I actually don't read the notes and think thats an A, thats a C# etc... I read the intervals between them and relate that back to the key signature, ie if I see an A then a note on the next line up I'll play the interval I see. I've no idea if thats right, I've never been taught properly but its served me well :)
[/quote]

Each to their own :) If it works for you then it works!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1392214444' post='2366021']
Each to their own :) If it works for you then it works!
[/quote]

Thats kinda what I figured... I find it much easier to relate the intervals to my hand positioning, knowing the scale shapes.

Still if there is a better way I'm always looking to learn!

Key signatures are the flats or sharps at the start of the piece if music. They tell you what key you're in.
No flats or sharps is either C major or its relative minor which is A minor. One flat is F major again that has a relative minor too D minor but I guess I'm complicating things a bit.
Have a look at this, it may help.

Edited by ambient

The beauty of playing a stringed instrument as opposed to say a trumpet (never having played the trumpet this may be a poor example) is that you only have to learn the scale shape once... it is the same for all scales just starting on the relevent note. To play in D you would just use the scale shape for D, you wouldnt have to worry about remembering to play F# and C# because the shape would naturally be taking you to the correct notes.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1392279990' post='2366667']
Probably best to know that the key has a C # and F# though. If you were just jamming in that key you'd want to know, or I'd want to, but I'm probably opening a huge tin of worms here :)
[/quote]

No your right, it's important to know what notes are in each key and why. I'd just imagine that reading is easier on a stringed instrument than it is on a piano as the shapes are always the same.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392280458' post='2366670']
No your right, it's important to know what notes are in each key and why. I'd just imagine that reading is easier on a stringed instrument than it is on a piano as the shapes are always the same.
[/quote]

Just noticed your gear list, sorry for going right off topic here :D, a Wal 6 string [size=6]WOW ![/size]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1392288731' post='2366758']
Just noticed your gear list, sorry for going right off topic here :D, a Wal 6 string [size=6]WOW ![/size]
[/quote]

Spent most of my bass playing life wishing I had a Wal, ever since I first tried one at 17.... Spent the last year or so scouring the second hand market, tried a few out, then finally decided to order a new one a couple of months back... Only 15 months to go!