Why become a member? ×

Hohner Arbor Series

Machines

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1216298182' post='241736']
I remember reading the original brochure for them (a scarily long time ago) but I recall I decided against as I didnt like the headstock and the Marlin models had a cool fish inlay at the 12th fret. Here ends the nostalgia segment....
[/quote]

Do you have any info about the year / specs?

I have one of these. swapped a leather jacket for it from my brother in the early nineties I think. Mine has a more standard p type bridge and is just a flat blue colour
It plays pretty well from what I remember, although these days it sits in the back of a cupboard and hasn't been used for a few years. I must dig it out and plug it in again. It has an odd unidentified rattle somewhere inside the neck, although the truss rod works fine, and a cracked scratchplate near the jack socket.

[quote name='bassus_play' timestamp='1426510168' post='2718586']

Do you have any info about the year / specs?
[/quote]
Only from my memory - no paper copy
It would have been about 1990; there was white, black, sunburst, and pink (as in girlie pink)

There is an owners club on Facebook-did you know ?

I have back home a Yamaha BB G5A, upgraded it with MEC active pups, sounds killer. Lots of low end and sustain. It is also kind of vintage, over 20 years.

I'm thinking to sell the new ones (Cort GB 75 & Eastcoast Jazzbass) and keep hunting for old stuff.

[quote name='bassus_play' timestamp='1426516203' post='2718686']
[url="http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/1980s-era-arbor-bass.html"]http://guitarz.blogs...arbor-bass.html[/url]
[/quote]
Pretty sure that's nothing to do with Hohner (the name's probably a coincidence) and the content of the article's complete rubbish. And so's the assesment of the bass - those are DiMarzio pickups? :lol: I'm aware of "Arbor" as a medium/low-end Korean-made US rebrand from the early 80s, and that's what this bass is, I'm sure.

Aaaanyway... Hohner Arbor. These appear to be a sort of stop-gap range between the Japanese-made (Moridaira) Hohners of the 70s/early 80s and the long-lived Hohner Professional range, which kicked off around 1985, and were initially made in Korea by Cort.

I think the Hohner Arbors were probably Cort-made too, quality looks pretty decent on a lot of them, and I'd guess they were around from about '83-ish which seems to be when the Moridaira Hohners disappeared. Nice abalone inlays on some of the basses. The brand may have continued alongside the Professionals as a lower-tier range, but I don't really know - 80s MIK ain't my speciality.

Jon.

• 2 years later...