Why become a member? ×

free Windows DAW for numpty?

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1392909362' post='2374062']
So some DAWs that say they can use VST plugins is a bit misleading, as they can only use vst effects but not vst instruments - like drum machines.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that I understand this sentence. Would you care to clarify, please..? Yes, put it down to old age on my part, no problem... :blush:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1392913500' post='2374128']
I'm not sure that I understand this sentence. Would you care to clarify, please..? Yes, put it down to old age on my part, no problem... :blush:
[/quote]

Some DAWs can only use vst effects, and not vst instruments. So despite saying they are vst compatible, they can only use vst compressors/distortions etc, and not vst drum machines/synths etc.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1392952475' post='2374655']
Some DAWs can only use vst effects, and not vst instruments. So despite saying they are vst compatible, they can only use vst compressors/distortions etc, and not vst drum machines/synths etc.
[/quote]

OK, thanks. That's news to me, and would be yet another good reason for using Reaper. I installed Reaper about a year ago, when I started all this 'music' shenanikins, and finally decided it was worth paying for after about 6 months or so. I've not regretted it in any way, but haven't tried all the stuff that's out there. Our eldest uses Cubase and the like, but that's for rich folks, with powerful PC's, not for me..! :blush:

A DAW is a DAW is a DAW when it comes to ease of use. If they are reasonably full featured then they have a learning curve for the completely green user that can seem fairly steep. That is the nature of things, it is not a simple process, it is not a linear sequential process either, therefore the UIs can seem fairly open simply because there appears to be a mind numbing array of options available from the get go before you get anywhere.

My advice then, if you are a newby at this stuff, is to choose a DAW that has a reasonable feature set, a great freely available manual and a really really good online community making good videos and answering questions. If the software is free to trial (and fully featured during that trial) as well whilst you get your head around it then so much the better.

Reaper fits this bill the best to my knowledge. It is very full featured for audio and midi, some DAWs have more/better/different MIDI features if I'm honest, but you can do an awful lot with Reaper in that regard, none have better routing capabilities, which if you stick at it will become really important to you. None have a better manual (seriously download it, start at the beginning and read it, you wont get anywhere unless you do, this is not a word processor, we are not in Kansas now Dorothy ;)), none has a better community, get on the Repaer forums, they are full of people asking start up qestions, as well as far deeper stuff, people will answer you, take the time to learn how to do stuff. None has a better trial period, its trustware, you get a full featured version of the software with a reminder to buy it until you do. WHat is not to like?

Audacity is IMO crippled since you cant try and tweak fx on the fly, you have to 'audition' your changes in tiny snippets from the start of the song. It also destructively edits your music. Its crap as a DAW, do not go there, its free because its not fit for purpose as a DAW. As a wav editor it is only really good for chopping ends of things for similar reasons. There are a bunch of free similar products out there google is you friend, however once you get to grips with Reaper you will realise that you actually have no reason to use a wav editor at all, ever....

x1M for Reaper. So happy to see it so well supported. My 'studio' machine is bundled with all sorts including Logic Pro etc etc, but my go-to is always Reaper. I've tracked many long album hours with Reaper and it never fails! I also like that it runs happily on different platforms as well as, should you really want to do it - you can install the whole app on a USB key and take it with you along with your projects.

I have no connection with Reaper's manufacturers but I whole-heartedly endorse this product. Love it. I bought the license in literally a space of hours after I'd downloaded!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1392978344' post='2374796']
A DAW is a DAW is a DAW when it comes to ease of use. If they are reasonably full featured then they have a learning curve for the completely green user that can seem fairly steep. That is the nature of things, it is not a simple process, it is not a linear sequential process either, therefore the UIs can seem fairly open simply because there appears to be a mind numbing array of options available from the get go before you get anywhere.
[/quote]

Absolutely - whichever one you choose, if it's any good it will seem daunting at first. Try to figure out exactly what it is you want to achieve, then set about finding the best practical way to do it. The nature of the beast is that there can be different ways to do the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...