Why become a member? ×

Begineers Bass Guitar

nmcintyre2

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and to bass guitar. I have been playing electric guitar for a couple of years and have a few fenders/gretschs and I am really enjoy it and have come along quite well. I have decided that I would also like to be able to play bass. Lots of the music I like is indie/indie rock (The Smiths , the Cure , The Arctic Monkeys) , mod music (The Jam, The Kinks , The who) and ocassionally some punk such as The Clash , SLF and The Sex pistols. I'd rarely be playing any metal or rock music ever. As I am only 16 my exams are coming up so I feel that it would be better to wait until summer to buy another instrument as I don't want it to distract me from my studies but I'm asking now so I can research the basses and decide which one suits me best. . I live in Derry in the north of Ireland so there isn't many places to try out basses. I have no problem going used as long as its in good condition. Can anybody suggest a decent bass and amp I could get for under £400. Thanks in Advance

There are a couple of threads on here concerning budget Jazz basses from Jack & Danny via DV247 like this http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-jb-vintage-1975-bass-guitar-black--200784 and the Harley Benton via Thomann like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbb1975_na.htm and buyers seem pretty happy with their purchases. I hear that Laney and Peavey make pretty decent budget bass combos, I'd recommend at least 100W output so maybe something like this http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-MAX112-MKII-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/U6R and either of the Jazzes get you in for £400 new.

Hi, and welcome to the forum, and to the world of bass
I'd go with your feelings re your exams at the moment, if I were you
I too would want to be playing with / experimenting with a new instrument
..... stick to your studies for now,
and treat yourself afterwards!

You should be able to get a decent enough bass for under that money
but adding an amp you could gig with could be difficult
However, I'd go for getting the best bass you can - get a cheap 5 or 10 Watt practice combo for now,
and save for a better amp, when your playing has improved

There are plenty of decent budget basses around these days
Ibanez basses are great IMO
and several of the Squier range are fine
I have an Indonesian built Squier P bass, and it's great - for just over £200
or go for 2nd hand - but check with care before buying, if buying online

You sound like you already have several guitars,
so you know some of the things to look for, when buying an instrument
You could always sell, or swap / PX a guitar? - just a thought....

Good luck with your studies, and your playing
Good music taste too matey :)

Cheers now

Marc

Squier - some sort of Precision would be my recommendation, the Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, Silver Series, Korean, all very good basses and certainly not just beginners basses. A fair few of us on here use them as good backups or even as our main basses. I also played Clash/Pistols/SLF and a Precision is ideal for those bands.