Why become a member? ×

TILT BACK CAB/AMP STAND? Which one to buy...

Greg.Bassman

Hey. Here again to pick your brains! :)

Looking to buy a tilt back amp stand to hold an Ashdown ABM 410 bass cab (H x W x D mm 661 x 610 x 420). I’ve tried having a look myself, but can’t seem to find any that will cater for the size and weight of a bass cab. Anybody out there who could recommend any from personal use?

All info is appreciated!

I used a Standback for years and they're great. If I remember rightly, they say it'll easily support a 4x12 so it should do the job for you just fine. First impressions are that it doesn't look that strong, but don't be fooled, they really are. Mine still looks as good as the day I got it. And they fold up flat and will easily fit into a bag or the back of a rack case. I got mine to improve my stage monitoring with my old single 1x15 cab set up, and it did the job brilliantly. Instead of the backs of my legs getting all the bass, once the cab was tilted I could hear everything. But, if you have a separate head you won't be able to put it on the cab as it'll slide off. I had to stand my flightcased amp on it's side next to the cab. No big deal for me, it still did the job just fine.
I don't use my Standback any more but I'll always keep it, just in case the need arises. A great accessory.

• 8 months later...

Careful with a Standback. I got one and it wouldn't work with a 1x12. A lot of Bass Cabs are too deep or not high enough and it won't tilt back. I did contact the people who make Standback and they were aware of the issue as it was designed primarily for Guitar Amps.

I use a Standback with my guitar combo, but I've never tried it with a larger bass cab. As mentioned, I could imagine some deeper cabs might have the centre of gravity too far forward to be stable when tilted at that angle and might need supporting from underneath rather than behind. Also, while it's solid once assembled correctly with the cab, it doesn't take well to being shoved around as often happens while setting up on the kind of stages I play. There have been times that sound guys have moved my amp a few inches, not checked that the Standback is in the proper position and left it unstable and wobbly.

Edited by Beer of the Bass