Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass with steel strings

oggiesnr

I spent last weekend watching assorted Rock n Roll bands playing at the Scarborough Valentine's Weekender (why is long story). Obviously a number of Double Basses were in evidence.

By far the best sound of any of them came from Martyn Savage who used steel strings, a schaller pickup, a piezo under the fingerboard (and a wireless system but that may be irrelevant). Now I always thought that steel strings and slapping were a no no but he seemed to make it work without any finger problems and he played two sets of just under an hour each.

Now in the interests of fairness I must add that he lent his bass to Dave Phillips for the set in between and Dave comprehensively shredded his fingers, blood everywhere!

So does anyone here slap with steel strings? If so are there any tips or things I should look out for before I try?

All the best

Steve

Rather you than me :)
I believe the orchestral strings tuned down to E are a good bet as you will have a lower tension which would certainly help with slapping,other wise you will most likley rip the hell out of your pinkies.
Check out Rotosound RS4000 strings,Rabbie on here recommended them to me & i really love them,just an ace sound,plain nylon D + G with wrapped E + A.
They give a nice "old school" sound with a very nice click,plenty of punch & are a breeze to slap too.

Edited by artisan

Steel strings are preferred by people who really like a harsh click sound and lower action, as well as people who require a magnetic pickup. Lee Rocker early Stray Cats fitted the sound perfectly. Psychobilly is also an example where they fit. I have seen Al Gare play them beautifully with Imelda May. One can "man up" and pass the blister stage if that's the sound you are looking for.
Personally, I much prefer the organic and bassy sound of guts (or good nylons at a push). It's not just because of the gentler, less intrusive, more musical "click" of their slap, but especially because of the note produced. Basically, a gut G string, even when slapped will go BOOM, whilst a steel G string will go DIIIIINGGG.....
Personally I like to go Boom!
Finally, the diameter of steel strings is way to little for me, but all if this is personal preference, so I would listen to your ears, not me.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it some thought.

The reason I'm looking at playing slap is actually to play it with my morris team. Yes I know it seems odd but we don't have a drum so some persussive lift would be nice. However I really don't want to restring my bass with weedwhackers or similar because of the other music I play. I suppose I could just buy another bass :)

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1392824996' post='2373157']
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it some thought.

The reason I'm looking at playing slap is actually to play it with my morris team. Yes I know it seems odd but we don't have a drum so some persussive lift would be nice. However I really don't want to restring my bass with weedwhackers or similar because of the other music I play. I suppose I could just buy another bass :)

Steve
[/quote]
now you're talking :)

As my previous slap-friendly strings were sounding pretty nasty when I bowed them, I tried out Jargar Dolces. I believe Martyn Savage uses Jargar Mediums, but I went with Dolces because a lot of forums suggested they were pretty close to Innovation Rockabillys in tension.

I've found the Dolces to have a nice bowed and pizz tone, the slap is obviously very different to Innovations and such but not in a bad way, as long as you're not going for that more organic tone Rabbie describes ("Boom" over "Ding"!). I have found them a lot harder to play than my old Innovations, both due to tension and thickness, but have lowered my string height and that helped some.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got steels (Thomastik Spirocores) on one of my EUBs. The action's low, 11mm on the E and 9 on the G. They're medium tension, but 4/4 size on a 3/4 scale length. (That makes them slightly stiffer than solo tuning detuned to regular) It plays quickly, borderline effortlessly - no blisters, bleeding etc.

I've got a regular customer who's a (good!) psychobilly player. Again, Spirocores. He has a higher action, (12/14 from memory) and uses 3/4 strings. I struggle with it. He has the "if my fingers aren't bleeding, it wasn't a good gig" mentality.

Click sound can be adjusted with how tightly the pickup is mounted (I use a piezo attached to a cork) - slacker gives a higher pitch, tighter brings in more boom.