Why become a member? ×

American standard and Cleveland New standard in the UK ?

spencer.b

Has anyone ever come across an american standard in the UK ?
Has anyone imported a new standard ?

In the last few years I've become all about that old school gut string big booming sound, I bought a big bryant that I've got guts and, it sounds great now, I'm thinking of selling my old german 3/4 and getting a big plywood bass. I've always loved Dennis Irwin's sound and I recently watched that youtube vid about his bass and was amazed it was a relatively inexpensive ply bass.
I assume very few would of made it over the atlantic but I know there are some kays around.
Anyone got any alternative ideas for a long string length big ply bass

Again, importing from US is extortionate, look at DUKE double basses and you will get all the plusses of the American standards sound wise with the added bonus of the option of customisation from Thomas.
If you are sold on the American Standards however, they are amazing sounding basses, but I have never played or seen one in person. The new ones are aupposed to be excellent. The old ones had a notoriously badly designed neck joint I am told from good source.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've just facebook messaged duke for some dimensions and asked the wife if she fancies a driving holiday in germany this year.
I checked out the standard on musical chairs it looks nice but quite a lot of money for a bass that might need a lot of work in years to come.
any of you guys played a duke?

Edited by spencer.b

hmm kays have a 42inch/106.68cm string length, I wonder how much that longer scale contributes to making a bass resonate well with gut strings, I mainly play jazz and bluegrass,(want a sound like Ben Wolfe, dennis Irwin, carlos Henriquez, larry gales with a bit of cousin jake and tom gray from the seldom scene ) so i want a bit more sustain than your average rockabilly set up,

Rockabilly slap is less than half of my job and I can assure you that the Duke with gut strings and high action covers the sounds you mention above very well indeed. Of course, as I always tell myself and other, let's remember that the vast majority of "your" sound on double bass is due to your fingers, technique, personality etc...The sound that Carlos Henriquez and all the other guys get is 70% due to their being themselves, but yes, an American Standard or a Duke, with gut strings and high action, would help towards that goal IMO.
As for the longer sustain, it is a blend of good guts as opposed to nylon, high action, good pull and possibly a wee bit by the extra cm length but I'm not too sure about that one.

Edited by Rabbie

Not so far sir, likely not till later this year or next year if at all. Have turned into a bit of a house cat after having wee baby and gigs afar are not as appealing as they once were. Lots of great music on offer in London as you know, so venues are not great at paying enough to cover expenses...thank you for asking though. Like you, I love Carlos Henriquez, Dennis Irwin (RIP) and the likes... Unfortunately I sound nothing like them...not at all.