Why become a member? ×

Used Bass Gear shops

Deedee

Hi all

It's half term, I'm off with my daughter, I'm bored and I'm itching to get hold of a Trace GP12 SMX head.

Do you guys know of any music shops that have a fair amount of used gear that may be worth a call/trip out to?

I'm based in South Yorkshire but as I say, I'm bored so I don't mind a bit of travelling.

Cheers

Electro Music in Doncaster have always had old Trace stuff in whenever I've been (admittedly that's twice. 8 years ago). Might be worth a call though.

https://www.electromusic.co.uk/Pre-owned-Bass-Amps-Cabs-and-FX/

They're not showing any used TE gear at the mo, but I don't know how often they update the sight.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1392843728' post='2373501']
It's not from a shop, but have you seen this? ... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222757-trace-elliot-gp12smx300-head/page__p__2354286__hl__trace%20elliot__fromsearch__1#entry2354286
[/quote]

Yeah. There are a couple on here that are actually sold, they just haven't told us they are :-/

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1392997526' post='2375110']
Not a shop, but if you fancy a trip to Edinburgh, Thornybank has got quite a collection of old trace stuff :)[/quote]

I was his place when a buyer trialed a Hiwatt 400 through a vintage Trace stack. It was ................ [i]interesting[/i]. Pardon?? I said it was [b]INTERESTING!!![/b]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1393008739' post='2375290']
If you're bored and after some Trace gear, why not spend the time now looking for a good Chiropractor - save you time later when you'll need one :lol: :lol: :lol: (that TE gear is heavy- why not buy a Genz Benz???)
[/quote]

I steer clear of the cabs now days, but my current TE AH300-7 paired with a Barefaced Super 12 sounds awesome without breaking my back. I'd just like to try a GP12 SMX version too.

I've got a GP12 SMX sitting in my music room. It works perfectly, but on occasion, after about 15 minutes it starts squealing (which unbelievably sounds even worse than my playing). Doesn't happen all the time, but it makes you quickly rush for the power switch when it does...

I've just done a quick google, and it seems as though it's a fairly common solder problem on a smoothing cap, so easily sorted out if you can use a soldering iron (or a cheap fix by an amp tech).

Exactly the same as the one just sold for £275: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222757-trace-elliot-gp12smx300-head/page__p__2354286__hl__trace%20elliot__fromsearch__1#entry2354286

Here's the deal - if you want to come and collect it, or arrange a courier (it's pretty heavy), you can have it FOC. Then, if you're happy with it, bung some money (maybe £50?) to the donations section of Bass Chat. Sound fair?

(Just one condition - if it becomes surplus to requirements in the future, you donate it on to someone else).

Let me know

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1393009860' post='2375312']
I've got a GP12 SMX sitting in my music room. It works perfectly, but on occasion, after about 15 minutes it starts squealing (which unbelievably sounds even worse than my playing). Doesn't happen all the time, but it makes you quickly rush for the power switch when it does...

I've just done a quick google, and it seems as though it's a fairly common solder problem on a smoothing cap, so easily sorted out if you can use a soldering iron (or a cheap fix by an amp tech).

Exactly the same as the one just sold for £275: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222757-trace-elliot-gp12smx300-head/page__p__2354286__hl__trace%20elliot__fromsearch__1#entry2354286

Here's the deal - if you want to come and collect it, or arrange a courier (it's pretty heavy), you can have it FOC. Then, if you're happy with it, bung some money (maybe £50?) to the donations section of Bass Chat. Sound fair?

(Just one condition - if it becomes surplus to requirements in the future, you donate it on to someone else).

Let me know

Mark.
[/quote]

😳 Wow. That sounds more than fair. That amp that sold was the one I just missed out on.

You have an incoming pm

• 3 weeks later...

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]To maintain transparency and to give anybody who was following this thread an update on the poorly SMX head I was generously offered………[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]The head is a 1993 AH250 SMX GP12 and after collecting and testing it, I sent it to my local repairer with a very long list of ailments. The main issues were found to be due to a completely knackered power stage. The first attempts at repair didn’t prove too successful and the amp had to be returned to the shop. But now, after a few repair attempts and 2 lengthy rehearsals I can now confirm it's fixed. [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]The repairs came to £71, plus I treated the rack case to a new carpet covering and a new set of corner protectors which totalled a further £30.[/color][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]There's still a slight buzz but nothing too major. The amp sounds great and is extremely loud even for Trace watts. It’s considerably louder than my AH300-7 and that’s LOUD.

As agreed with Tredders, I've this evening made a £50 donation (via PayPal) to BassChat.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]Many thanks again to Tredders for his kind offer to enable me to save this amp from the great gig in the sky for a few more years![/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]Cheers [/color][/font][/size]

Good stuff, bc site gets a donation and bc member ends up with a decent bit of kit that will hopefully last years for about £150 all in. If the OP is ever interested in an old trace 4x10 cab I still have knocking about in my garden shed he's more than welcome to come give it a once over and make me an offer. Keep meaning to stick it on here or eBay but never get round to it.