Why become a member? ×

Reducing Latency in Logic X ?

ML94

Hi guys

I've been told its latency issues but I'm not quite sure.

PROBLEM -

I play in all my bass parts with the click, perfectly in time as I can with the click. Once i stop the recording in Logic and playback it always is that my bass parts are lagging behind for some reason ... I play them in correctly and have double checked that I'm not playing out of time or anything but it always seems as if my recordings end up lagging which makes no sense to me at all !

Any ideas on how to get rid of it ?

Not a solution, just a general comment on what the problem could be - When you are using a soundcard and a DAW like logic, there are three places that your signal gets delayed - as it's being input through your soundcard it's delayed by the length of the input buffer; when it's being processed and mixed it's delayed by the plugins and other bits of code doing the processing; and when it's played back it gets delayed as it goes through the output buffer.

However, the DAW (logic) should be aware of what these delays are and compensate for them when you're recording, shifting the recorded audio in time so it all lines up again. It may not be able to compensate perfectly, as there might be some small delays that it can't measure, so there's often some place where you can manually change the 'latency compensation' or 'delay compensation' to get it perfect. Still, it should all be about right out of the box. Maybe it's having problems with a particular soundcard driver? Have you tried using a different soundcard?

I did have the same problem with you with Adobe Audition - it turned out to be a software bug and I got a refund!

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1393012708' post='2375355']
Not a solution, just a general comment on what the problem could be - When you are using a soundcard and a DAW like logic, there are three places that your signal gets delayed - as it's being input through your soundcard it's delayed by the length of the input buffer; when it's being processed and mixed it's delayed by the plugins and other bits of code doing the processing; and when it's played back it gets delayed as it goes through the output buffer.

However, the DAW (logic) should be aware of what these delays are and compensate for them when you're recording, shifting the recorded audio in time so it all lines up again. It may not be able to compensate perfectly, as there might be some small delays that it can't measure, so there's often some place where you can manually change the 'latency compensation' or 'delay compensation' to get it perfect. Still, it should all be about right out of the box. Maybe it's having problems with a particular soundcard driver? Have you tried using a different soundcard?

I did have the same problem with you with Adobe Audition - it turned out to be a software bug and I got a refund!
[/quote]

Hi thanks for the reply.

Its an old Mbox i got off ebay for £30. It works fine as in plug and play, recording works and monitoring works great as well. I'm not much of a tech expert when it comes with setting up latency, buffer settings and so on so have no idea on what/how that works.
Sound card is the basic one in my Macbook Pro (I guess) its all factory.