Why become a member? ×

***SOLD***Squier JV Precision - 1st Series! Large Fender Logo JV0xxxx
£900

Chiliwailer

I bought this bass just last week from a pal of mine who has fallen out of love with Precision's. I already have one of these basses and really fancied another one that didn't have any changes so I bought it off him. Thing is, my GAS got the best of me and though it's a cool bass to own, I reckon I'll move it on for a bass which is not almost exactly the same as another of mine!

It's a 1957 Reissue, best described below by Basschat's Ricks Fine 52 on a recent thread about my short lived NBD

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#282828][size=3][color=#000000]I’ve said on here many times before that these are far and beyond the best reissues ever made. Unlike the Fullerton reissues that also started in ’82, these used the original pre-CBS blueprints, so the contours on necks and bodies are the same. The feel in the hand of these is unmistakeable vintage, and the tone is also very well replicated, better than anything I’ve seen, played or owned from even the Custom Shop.[/color][/size][/color][/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#282828][size=3][color=#000000]The first batch from end of April, to end of May..ish, were way to good, and far better than their own reissues from Fullertons, and so the Americans soon made them reduce the specs, and change the decals. [/color][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][color=#000000]But it isn’t just the rarity, and exclusivity of these early birds, that make them so desirable, although that has become a factor, but the playability, feel and overall vintage vibe. [/color][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][color=#000000]You simply cannot replicate, or capture the feel of a real vintage bass as well as these offer. [/color][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][color=#000000]I have 3 [/color][/size][/color][/b][/font]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]On the subject of the differences between the first series JV's and the ones built after June 1982 Rick also wrote:[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They changed the wood from sen ash to alder initially, then quickly to basswood. The neck profiles changed. The slab rosewood was changed to veneer i think in late '83 or '84. The tortoishell material changed to something nothing like the originals (As per the current awful crop of CS releases), and from 3 to 4 ply (on the '62's obviously). The tuners changed from a period correct closer-thread gear, and smaller holding screw, to a larger screw, and multi thread tuner. Threaded saddles were replaced for slotted i think in '84,a nd the brass shielding plates were ommitted too at some point.The decal was changed to a large Squier decal. The pickups were changed. The wiring was plastic coated. No chrome covers were installed, or mutes on the jazz. From memory, i think thats about it, although I'm no expert on JV's after '83.[/font][/b] [b]From what i've heard, the quality of woods and electronics were even less after this time.[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The pictures show changed strap buttons for strap lock use, should you prefer original JV strap buttons I can swap them with the bass buttons from my other JV. This way the bass will be 100% original - that includes no changes, extra screw holes, changed pots etc or any issues at all.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that the only trade I would consider is a JV Jazz Bass with a large Fender logo. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers! [/font][/color]

Edited by Chiliwailer

I second that......very lovely! when I bought my JV jazz it was just sitting in the corner of a studio for years gathering dust .......someone had replaced the neck with a Tokai lined fretless...... if it had the original neck on I,d be drooling more than I am right now ! Cheers and all the best. Simon.

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1393101199' post='2376286']
I second that......very lovely! when I bought my JV jazz it was just sitting in the corner of a studio for years gathering dust .......someone had replaced the neck with a Tokai lined fretless...... if it had the original neck on I,d be drooling more than I am right now ! Cheers and all the best. Simon.
[/quote]

Aw, close but no cigar for both of us! You're drooling and I'm nearly crying :(

Cheers!

I have one almost exactly the same as this and, straight out of the case with no need to fiddle, it is the best Precision bass I have ever picked up. Oozes quality and sounds just exactly like you would want a P Bass to sound. Have a 'if anyone claims these are just cheap copies they need their heads examined' type bump. :)