Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3

uncle psychosis

Hey guys

I'm really tempted by a B3, but I have a few questions.

1. Is tweaking the effects and amps as simple as it looks? In the past I have not enjoyed multifx because tweaking the sounds was too complex and I find just having the simplicity of single effects much better (I don't have hours and hours to be sitting delving through menus to alter sounds).

2. Has anyone tried theirs with a guitar (not a bass)? I play guitar a bit too so if I can get some decent sounds for that too that would be a very attractive prospect.

3. I would be using it as a practice tool and plugging it straight into a mixer (I play with headphones at home) but I'd also want to use it live sometimes and probably go straight to desk. Has anyone else done this and did it work OK?

4. Do the effects actually sound like the real pedals? What are the distortions like?

5. Is it possible to split the signal and have a clean blend on some of the effects?

Cheers

I can`t answer all, but some.

Tweaking the effects is really easy, I`m not very good with anything technology based and I can do it no trouble. The effects themselves are good, but in my view all those I`ve tried are set much too full-on on the manufacturers settings. Back off on them - usually to 50% and they are very nice, otherwise they just seem to take over. Additionally, if choosing amp-modelling, reduce the speaker simulation to zero.

I`ve recorded with is straight to desk, played live with it connected to my amp/provided amp and desk at the same time, and used it live, just the B3 to desk, no amp. We recorded one of the gigs where it went to desk and I was really pleased with the sound, likewise the actual recording studio stuff I did with it, no re-eqing was needed.

Worthy bit of kit imo, and for not much dosh.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393194175' post='2377303']
. The effects themselves are good, but in my view all those I`ve tried are set much too full-on on the manufacturers settings. Back off on them - usually to 50% and they are very nice, otherwise they just seem to take over.
[/quote]

Thanks!

When you say back off the effects to 50%, what do you mean? Is there a mix control for each effect?

I'm super impressed with mine. I've never used multi effects before and this thing is very well designed. Nothing like the awful early 90s zoom guitar pedals.

I've just set my first patch up. Ampeg B15, compressor, with a sansamp for occasional dirt. The B15 clone is superb.

Absolutely bargain.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393194823' post='2377310']
Thanks!

When you say back off the effects to 50%, what do you mean? Is there a mix control for each effect?
[/quote]
[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1393231701' post='2377493']
There's lots of love for the B3 around here. For best results stay clear of the factory presets, set up your own. The wet/dry blend is your friend here too.
[/quote]

Yes, that`s it - you have a blend on virtually all of them (haven`t looked at them all, but it`s been on all I have looked at), and I find when they are set to full, they are far too much, but 50% and they seem like the level of regular effects pedals.

I don't even have a belt at all! But if you're experimenting with effects, loopers and want a simple drum synth, as I do, then it's great. It's more than I need.

There are loads of vids on Youtube. Here's just one.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3WTeZC0vc[/media]

As you can see, you can adjust various settings on the effects.

Edited by Grangur

It's worth noting that it does a VERY close impression of the popular Sansamp BDDI. I would usually steer clear of digital multi effects but you know what, technology has come on a great deal with emulation. The BDDI even has a mid control on the Zoom B3.

It also comes with a recording program, and records straight into a Mac/PC very well. Ok, it won't be as perfect as a proper dedicated audio interface, but it works well.

Did I mention the DI? I'm hoping to gig with just this into the PA on some occassions to try it out. I used to do that with the Sansamp and it worked brilliantly.

The screens/buttons and overall quality is excellent, and I am very picky. Makes me wonder why the last 2-3 high end pedals I've tried from other companies feel less well made....weird.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1393331466' post='2378749']
Oh, and the price seems to have dropped a little to £130. Worth it for the guarantee etc.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm currently wondering whether I should just plump for a new one. The fact that its all digital makes me think that a guarantee might be worth having (analogue effects are normally fixable yourself if they go pearshaped).

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393333733' post='2378801']
Yeah, I'm currently wondering whether I should just plump for a new one. The fact that its all digital makes me think that a guarantee might be worth having (analogue effects are normally fixable yourself if they go pearshaped).
[/quote]
I was glad I'd done that with my B9-1ut, the unit was fine but the power supply stopped working after a fairly short time and was replaced under guarantee, no problem thanks to GAK .

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]I just ordered a Zoom B3.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]
I tried to order one from GAK, because they offer "free shipping on orders over £99". However, put in an address in Scotland and they want to charge you £13.99 shipping and inform you that if you live in Scotland you need to spend £299 for free shipping. F**k that. I live in Edinburgh, not Orkney. <_<[color=#222222] [/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]
Sounds Live got my order instead. [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393363660' post='2379454']
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]I just ordered a Zoom B3.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]I tried to order one from GAK, because they offer "free shipping on orders over £99". However, put in an address in Scotland and they want to charge you £13.99 shipping and inform you that if you live in Scotland you need to spend £299 for free shipping. F**k that. I live in Edinburgh, not Orkney. <_<[color=#222222] [/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=3]Sounds Live got my order instead. [/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Roll on independence eh? Then you'll have import duty on top!! :P

Quite agree with you. Good luck.

I have a Zoom B3 and it's pretty good. The compressors and synths are pants but the other effects are great, have a wet/dry mix setting which is a big plus and a lot of the effects (e.g. flangers) have a frequency setting so the effect is only applied above that frequency - handy to avoid e.g. nasty swelling bassy kind of sounds from a flanger.

If the power supply dies, it can be run off standard Boss-type 9V or even USB (if you've got an old USB charger lying around you could use that!).

So, had a quick play with the B3 last night.

Firstly, the presets are pants. But I expected that. Setting up your own ones produces much, much, much better tones.

However, I think it will work very well for my expected usage---basic amp sim, with the odd effect added here and there. The amp sims are really, really good. I'll probably use the crazier effects on guitar more than bass, I'm looking forward to trying that.

Finally, tweaking the parameters is an absolute doddle. I've owned multifx before and never liked them because tweaking was too hard. This is as close as you'll ever get to real individual pedals---its that easy.

Its tiny, its built like a tank (feels like a real quality piece of kit), it sounds good, and it costs less than whatever the boutique OD of the week is. First impressions are definitely very positive.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1393673451' post='2383136']
So, had a quick play with the B3 last night.

Firstly, the presets are pants. But I expected that. Setting up your own ones produces much, much, much better tones.

However, I think it will work very well for my expected usage---basic amp sim, with the odd effect added here and there. The amp sims are really, really good. I'll probably use the crazier effects on guitar more than bass, I'm looking forward to trying that.

Finally, tweaking the parameters is an absolute doddle. I've owned multifx before and never liked them because tweaking was too hard. This is as close as you'll ever get to real individual pedals---its that easy.

Its tiny, its built like a tank (feels like a real quality piece of kit), it sounds good, and it costs less than whatever the boutique OD of the week is. First impressions are definitely very positive.
[/quote]

Thanks for that review man!

This is the only multi fx I haven't junked in a petulant frenzy after about a month. Ignore the presets, most manufacturers seem to over do these.

I was put off by the early Zoom stuff, which I found noisy and too complicated, but thinking of it as a row of 3 stomp boxes at a time makes more sense to me. I like to wind the controls about until they sound good, rather than worrying if 68% rate sounds better than 70% on a digital readout when tinkering with, say, a flanger or chorus. So it really suits my simple outlook. Also easy to adjust on the fly.

I have it in line for most gigs, and it doesn't sound as if its eating my tone at all. I initially used it on a true bypass loop, as a 'get out of trouble' button, but found I didn't really need it once I felt confident with the B3.

The looper is fun to play with, but I mainly use it for octavers, filter effects and some of the amp models; mainly SVT and B15 but the others sounds pretty good too IMHO. I also have a cheeky bank of reverse and filtered delays for a bit of the old Psychedelia Smith.

Solid build, no issues so far. Worth a punt, if you don't like it you'll be able to move it along on here at not too much of a loss.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1393331466' post='2378749']
Oh, and the price seems to have dropped a little to £130. Worth it for the guarantee etc.
[/quote]

Actually I've been watching them on here but went to that famous german warehouse and got it for £103!

Regards, Paul.

• 3 months later...

An oldish thread but I just picked up a B3 and have to say after messing with it for a couple of ours I'm pretty impressed. The software is excellent. I just dumped the presets onto to my PC and started with a clean slate but will go through the factory presets to see if there is anything useable. I just wanted something simple I have ms60B and it's great but a wee bit fiddly. The B3 allows me to have a basic tone and two extra stomp boxes. So for fretless I can have compression with the option of some modulation and some delay/reverb by switching the virtual pedals on and off. On the ms60B I would have had to switch to separate patches.

I'd be interested in the best set up it seems to have quite a hot signal and I noticed people mentioning blend and output settings both on the individual patches and globally. Any info would be gratefully received.

Another question would be are the amp sims primarily for recording or practice? I've never really bothered with them as I have an amp! But they sound quite cool but dunno if it's bad form to use them through an amp in the normal way or if you use the effects loop (in 30 years of playing I have never used an effects loop!

Edited by steviedee