Why become a member? ×

Sean's Ric 4001

Billy Apple

Edit. Change of thread title to an ongoing concern :)

Been travelling all day to pick this one up...

Presenting my 1980 4001 in Azure-glow

Sounds spot on, I'm just disappointed it's a bit late to be turning things up. Neck is dead straight and a pretty low action. More than a handful of 'Mojo', but nothing hideous. Very nice to play, the neck is nice and slim and smooth, and I'm finding the sweet spot with the neck pup on full and the bridge on half.

I'm going to get it to Julian Mullan for a full service and fix-up. Thinking about some nice chrome flats. At the moment it's wearing yukky Roto stainless cheese graters.

Very happy :D

Edited by Billy Apple

ROCK! Nice colour Sean. IIRC older Ricks are recommended to use TI Flats (they being best tension wise for the idiosyncratic necks and truss rods - I got this from the * hushed voice * [i]Rick forum[/i] * oops I said it)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393191993' post='2377259']
Been travelling all day to pick this one up...

Presenting my 1980 4001 in Azure-glow

Sounds spot on, I'm just disappointed it's a bit late to be turning things up. Neck is dead straight and a pretty low action. More than a handful of 'Mojo', but nothing hideous. Very nice to play, the neck is nice and slim and smooth, and I'm finding the sweet spot with the neck pup on full and the bridge on half.

I'm going to get it to Julian Mullan for a full service and fix-up. Thinking about some nice chrome flats. At the moment it's wearing yukky Roto stainless cheese graters.

Very happy :D
[/quote]

Very nice! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393192257' post='2377267']
You're just swanning around from one classic purchase to the next! How dare you have so much fun!! :blink:
Glad you got a good one though Sean, I've been unlucky and only played dogs so far.
[/quote]

It's the only fun I get these days, believe me! Since I went down the road of wanting a Ric I played a goodly handful, and the neck on this is one of the two best I've tried. The other was on a Mapleglo at Bass Gear. Although the Bass Gear one was pretty pristine, but who wants boring old Mapleglo :P

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1393192273' post='2377268']
ROCK! Nice colour Sean. IIRC older Ricks are recommended to use TI Flats (they being best tension wise for the idiosyncratic necks and truss rods - I got this from the * hushed voice * [i]Rick forum[/i] * oops I said it)
[/quote]

Well, in keeping with the spirit of advice from BC I'll bung a set of them on. The neck is a difficult one with the two rods and that, but I had a look under the cover before purchase and both bolts looked equal, straight and untouched. I'd seen some where it looked like the bolts were collapsing, or not parallel with each other, so we should be OK. Saying that, a couple of the big bolts in the back of the tuners have been changed for what looks like smaller metric ones that have been jammed in with a plastic 'shim', but hopefully finding the AF size should be an easy fix. But between them and a good neck, I know what I'd rather have.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1393195804' post='2377325']
So - are you going to be selling off any tasty basses to make room for this, or just letting the collection grow and grow!?
[/quote]

I've already sold off a bit (6 strings mainly) to get where I am. I'm lucky enough to have made a little on what I've sold, and bought at good prices, so at the moment it's feeding itself. I really wanted to get down to having only 3 basses, which would be my Rutter La Cab P, a Ric and a TBird (incoming from the Doc). The wild card was the Coronado, and right now there is no way I'd let it go. So four it is.

BTW, if I had GAS for anything else it would be for a bullion gold Gibson EB14, but I just can't go down that road right now :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393197340' post='2377347']
I've already sold off a bit (6 strings mainly) to get where I am. I'm lucky enough to have made a little on what I've sold, and bought at good prices, so at the moment it's feeding itself. I really wanted to get down to having only 3 basses, which would be my Rutter La Cab P, a Ric and a TBird (incoming from the Doc). The wild card was the Coronado, and right now there is no way I'd let it go. So four it is.

BTW, if I had GAS for anything else it would be for a bullion gold Gibson EB14, but I just can't go down that road right now :)
[/quote]

Hey, 2000th anniversary post! How cool is that? Tell you what, It's been a really good day today. I woke up in Brighton at 0730 (still pissed from the night before), was on the first of 5 trains to get me to Gt. Yarmouth at 0830. Each train I caught I got within 5 mins of the last one, and that was on a day of engineering and delays. Rode the football special from Cambridge to Norwich having a few beers with the Y*d Army. From Norwich I got to Gt Yarmouth, met the seller in the station car park, did the deal in 10mins, and was back on the same train to Norwich, this time having a beer with the Norwich City fans on the way to the same match!

Then Cambridge, King Cross, Paddington and home in Slough by 7pm.

I love it when a plan comes together! B)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1393192273' post='2377268']
IIRC older Ricks are recommended to use TI Flats (they being best tension wise for the idiosyncratic necks and truss rods - I got this from the * hushed voice * [i]Rick forum[/i] * oops I said it)
[/quote]

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Would Thomastik JF344 4-String Jazz Flatwound 43-100 long scale be the cheese?[/font][/size]

Ebay? I was watching it out of interest.

Very nice bass - amazingly low price, very well done!

It was actually on BC before the ban - I admired it then as AG is a fave shade of mine.

Great basses, I've had a couple myself. I did change to a 4003 though because of the 'bigger' sound it brings.

Happy playing!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393242255' post='2377615']
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Would Thomastik JF344 4-String Jazz Flatwound 43-100 long scale be the cheese?[/font]
[/quote]
Those are the ones I'm looking at putting on my Ric, been looking to use them for a while now, just got one last set of D'Addario EXL170BTs to use first :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393242255' post='2377615']
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Would Thomastik JF344 4-String Jazz Flatwound 43-100 long scale be the cheese?[/font][/size]
[/quote]
aye, them be the ones. I even recall Big John H recommending them on the Rick forum

• 2 months later...

HOORAY!

Just got this baby back from Julian Mullen. All sorts of niggles have been cleared up. Now strung with a set of TI Jazz flats, the neck is what I've been waiting for all this time.. dead straight with an action lower than Discreet's sense of humour.

It's on a stand in my living room and I can't stop admiring it!