Why become a member? ×

Orange BT500 Bass Terror

Waterboarder

[size=3]Theres been a few threads on these but I cant seem to find what Im looking for.[/size]

[size=3][b][color="#000000"]I use a BT500 which I use in conjunction with an Eden Nemesis 4X10 cab and a p-bass.[/color][/b][/size][b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]I bought it in early 2010 and have been very pleased with it - the only criticism would be that I find it too ‘bassy’. I mainly play punk and surf music and to get the tone I want means backing off the bass to about 9 o’clock, mid to 10/11 and treble up to the 3 o’clock position, with tone almost all the way up on the precision.[/color][/b][/size][b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]It works…but doesn’t allow for much flexibility in the rig.[/color][/b][/size][b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[size=3][/size][size=3][/size]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Now…last night we got to use another bands backline – Bass Terror through an Ashdown 4x10.[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Adjusted the EQ to how I’d normally set it and was tinny as hell. Moved everything to 12 o’clock (flat) and it was perfect. Sounded amazing.[/color][/b][/size][b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Asked the owner of the Bass Terror if he’d modded it, which he hadn’t but did say it was brand new.[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]I did read on here that the new ones are fitted with better quality valves (but mainly for gain reduction) so wondered if that’s the main reason for the difference in sound?[/color][/b][/size][b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Or are Eden cabs renowned for being bass heavy and Ashdown the opposite? I cant see that to be honest.[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Did I buy a clogger?[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]If it’s the valves on newer models, does anyone know if it’s a cheap/easy upgrade?[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][size=1][/size][/b]
[size=3][b][color="#000000"]Cheers.[/color][/b][/size]
[b][size=1] [/size][/b]
[b][color=red][size=1] [/size][/color][/b]

I had one of the newer Bass Terror 1000s through a Barefaced Super 12 and I did the valve change and it was really easy and made it sound so much better.

Just so you know with the settings all at 12 that isn't actually flat on this amp. I played punk and I think I had the Bass on about 9o clock, Mid at Max and Treble at 11o clock and that gave a really nice tone that I liked.

Going from cab to cab with the same amp is going to give a different sound, due to how sensitive the speakers are and what speakers are being used etc

Check out the 'Re-valving the bass terror' thread in the repairs section, a lot of good info about how to change the valves!

Edited by OBT1000_S12

I'm not sure if changing the valves would give you a much brighter sound though - more range on the gain knob before things get too fuzzy, but the overall character won't change massively. It's a muddy sounding amp, and all the ones I've tried so far have been the same. Maybe they changed things a little on newer batches... or maybe it was just a brighter cab with the tweeter turned up on full?

Edited by dannybuoy

I have to disagree with is sounding muddy. Bright as a button IMO.
Mine's an older version and I put in some Mullard 12AT7-AW's purely to give me some cleaner headroom.
When I opened it up it had JJ 12AX7's in so, I don't think they are throwing any old valves in.

Cabs have a definite impact with various voicing etc, so it may be a rhetorical question with the switch from the Eden to the Ashdown?

Edited by grunge666

Well Edens certainly have some lows, I had a Nemesis 410 and it was a great cab. I think the low frequencies are much lower than that of Ashdowns. It could be that the Ashdown had issues, as having also had an OTB, I could never get a tinny sound from it - not that I wanted to mind - just a thick warm slightly gainy (and very loud) sound.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393264481' post='2377981']
Well Edens certainly have some lows, I had a Nemesis 410 and it was a great cab. I think the low frequencies are much lower than that of Ashdowns. It could be that the Ashdown had issues, as having also had an OTB, I could never get a tinny sound from it - not that I wanted to mind - just a thick warm slightly gainy (and very loud) sound.
[/quote]

lozz is right, just had a look the eden 410 goes down to 48hz and depending what ashdown it was the abm goes to 70hz and the mag interestingly goes to 60hz.

andy

A pair of new JJ ECC82's will cost you about £25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12AU7-ECC82-JJ-TESLA-Amp-Tube-Valve-NEW-/331105758932?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item4d1770eed4

It didn't change the tone on my TB500 very much, but does drop the gain down so the thing doesn't go ballistic until the gain gets to about 2.00 :D

If you check the diagram in the manual, it looks like the second tube only drives the FX loop and DI so therefore shouldn't have an impact on the main tone - so just changing the V1 tube, which should be the one on the right nearest the input should be enough to change the sound.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SXtkx8w.png[/IMG]

Edited by dannybuoy

As others have pointed out, the Orange uses a Fender tone stack which has a mid cut in most positions and unfortunately isn't the most versatile. Take a look at [url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122"]Bass Gear Mag's review[/url], which gives useful plots of the tone controls. Basically the flattest response you'll get is with bass and treble fully down and mid full up.

I'd be inclined to think that it's down to the cab (although beware of relying too much on manufacturers specs - they can be complete bunk). Raising the cab off the ground and keeping it away from walls will reduce it's bass output.

• 5 months later...

I swapped out the valves which were fitted 12ax7 to 12at7 and run with all eq at12 ocklock its tamed the gain slightly it now starts to crack at about 3 ocklock loads more useable volume from this tb 500 I'm currently using orange obc 4x10 the sound is great