Why become a member? ×

pre amp for passive bass

jassbass

I use a passive Jazz for most of my gigs and there are times when I need it to cut through the band just a bit more but without sacrificing the tone that I like so much. ( I also didn't want an additional EQ to worry about)
I stuck an MXR Micro Amp in my chain and hey presto, one button to worry about and an 'active' bass when I need it!

Edited by Floyd Pepper

Though its out on budget i'd like to mention the Radial Bassbone which i stumbled on while sorting my DI issue.I play a 75 Jazz and in my latest band i'm going from Reggae to Slap to Rock so the EQ on the bassbone is superb for tweaking between songs and bringing the tone right out.The two channels can be used with one or two basses and it has a Boost and other features and it's just a great workable box.

New pre amps on the way from Lehle/Basswitch but unsuer of price - Premier Guitsar has quick demo up but cannot adda link as my work PC is blocking YouTube.

Nice looking units but likely to be expensive as they're Lehle and brand new to market.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1393328955' post='2378700']
I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions on the Sadowsky or the Tonehammer pedals when compared to the MXR M80 DI+ which I currently have. Lately, I'm not feeling that the MXR is doing it for me, but I don't know if its based on pure tonal 'fact' or rather simply me having pent up GAS for trading up for something better or newer!! I had been looking at the new MXR Bass Preamp pedal, but reading the reviews and threads so far, it would appear that all I'm going to achieve is more room on the pedalboard...so it does seem rather pointless in going from the M80 to the M81 for little tonal benefit.
[/quote]

I have played/owned most of the Aguilar pedal range and we have the MXR pedal range at work. The MXR bass octave deluxe is (imo) more versatile than the Octamizer and there are arguments about whether the Filter Twin is better than the Envelope filter (I like the Filter Twin more but feel the MXR envelope filter is more fiddly/adjustable which some may like!) but the rest of the Aguilar range is better than MXR stuff by quite a way.

The tone and tonal shaping you get from the Tone hammer pre is awesome. The DI is great quality and as a result, I've often gigged without an amp and just used my Tone Hammer direct to the PA. I use it EVERY time I record as it gives a great quality signal from the DI and the tone is always nice. Also the headroom it gives is excellent. I also like the AGS function when I want to drive the signal slightly but must admit I use it rarely.

I wouldn't be without the Tone Hammer pre amp now and nothing I've tried yet has even come close to turning my head.

Try one out and see if you still want to keep your MXR stuff. My opinion might be TOTALLY different to yours but it's worth trying as much as you can until you settle on one you like :)

Edited by skej21

• 1 month later...

I have tried LOTS of preamp pedals and I settled on the RMI Basswitch. It takes care of all my effects routing and switching, has a great DI and it sounds just GREAT.
I play passive Nordstrand PJ5 basses, a DJ5 as well, a passive Reverend 5L and an active MM SR5

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1394834484' post='2395894']

I have played/owned most of the Aguilar pedal range and we have the MXR pedal range at work. The MXR bass octave deluxe is (imo) more versatile than the Octamizer and there are arguments about whether the Filter Twin is better than the Envelope filter (I like the Filter Twin more but feel the MXR envelope filter is more fiddly/adjustable which some may like!) but the rest of the Aguilar range is better than MXR stuff by quite a way.

The tone and tonal shaping you get from the Tone hammer pre is awesome. The DI is great quality and as a result, I've often gigged without an amp and just used my Tone Hammer direct to the PA. I use it EVERY time I record as it gives a great quality signal from the DI and the tone is always nice. Also the headroom it gives is excellent. I also like the AGS function when I want to drive the signal slightly but must admit I use it rarely.

I wouldn't be without the Tone Hammer pre amp now and nothing I've tried yet has even come close to turning my head.

Try one out and see if you still want to keep your MXR stuff. My opinion might be TOTALLY different to yours but it's worth trying as much as you can until you settle on one you like :)
[/quote]

Sorry skej, I missed this when you posted, thanks for your feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a MXR Bass overdrive with the gain all the way off for that 'active' preamp sound and then added drive as needed so this is an option. I've tried other preamps and used the Tone hammer but the AGS boost was too much to be useable. The MXR was a good fit but it got stolen. I have a different unit now but it's out of your current budget. The MXR bass pre amp looks great and it was gonna be my 'new' toy until the Basswitch came up :) Best to try out a couple of you can and see what features work for you and your set up.

Good luck and have fun!