Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1462891377' post='3046698']
Having got both (I blame TaySte!) I'd say I can't hear a huge difference through phones and live it won't make a difference but the fact jam up goes across both iPhone and iPad that's the win for me. Jamup seems more intuitive to me
[/quote]

Tiny bit more depth to Bias but it's the routing where it wins if you're getting complex.

But as above I still use Jamup as it's where I started and I've really nailed everything in it and it's nice having the iphone as a backup/what I practice with headphones with.

Bias FX is coming for the iphone but it will be a separate app, so you'll pay for bias fx, buy the in app purchases and then have to do it all again to run it on a phone. Jamup does not have this issue but I did end up buying almost all the effects for XT and Pro but generally when they were on sale.

That said if you get serious about it (like it's my only fx setup now) there is no harm in having all of it, even if you max out Jamup, Jamup Pro, Bias Fx, Bias (Amps), Amplitube, Ampkit, Turnado, Tonestack and Flux:fx you'll still have only spent the same as 2-3 pedals.

It's only time setting them all up that becomes the issue then.

Still the best move I made musically, using my setup in 5 bands on electric and double bass.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1462892228' post='3046714']
Not got turnado. Will have to check it out
[/quote]

Never heard of that one either, will check it out! I've not been impressed enough with anything available on iOS so far to warrant replacing my pedals so far (drive/dist/fuzz and filters are the most important to me).

Has anyone managed to find a decent envelope filter yet? The Mutron in Jamup/Bias (can't remember which) didn't even trigger for me, and the one in Tonestack wasn't too great either. I know digital filters can be great if done properly, the Xerograph, Manta, and Fwonkbeta are all excellent.

EDIT: Turnado has lots of filter options, and they make a WOW filter box too, downloaded both for a play later...

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1462894198' post='3046749']
If you have flux don't bother with Turnado.

If you don't have either get Flux ;)

Moog do the filtron app which you can use in audiobus to create some interesting stuff
[/quote]

Thanks. Apple need to improve the search on the app store... looking for filter or envelope filter shows hardly anything!

A mini not sure which version but had it for a few years. The main reason I would buy a new one is to run Flux I think it is the first effects program that I have used in a long while that steps outside what I would call the usual suspects. NI Molekular does some of the same kind of things but Flux is easier to use. The NI one I use inside Digital Performer but once again my desktop is getting long in the tooth and struggles.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1462900361' post='3046831'] A mini not sure which version but had it for a few years. The main reason I would buy a new one is to run Flux I think it is the first effects program that I have used in a long while that steps outside what I would call the usual suspects. NI Molekular does some of the same kind of things but Flux is easier to use. The NI one I use inside Digital Performer but once again my desktop is getting long in the tooth and struggles. [/quote]

My iPad 3 is starting to struggle big time

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1462968962' post='3047366'] My next iPad will be the 9.7inch Pro :D I can hear latency when playing double bass through jamup currently but it's a hella weird setup and I don't know whats latency, feedback or what [/quote]

I'm heading that way too

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1462970043' post='3047383'] Or if I learn my songs and stop having to read them off the ipad I can just use my phone. [/quote]

:lol: same here :lol:

Edited by sk8

• 2 months later...

About the latency - can you adjust it in Amplitube? I've been leaning towards Tonestack lately as it has the best sounding amps, a decent enough Mutron III and I can set the buffer size to 64 samples which is the lowest I've seen! I have an iPad AIr 2 though, YMMV if using an older iPad.

Also, if you are running an app that defaults to a higher latency that you cannot bring down, try putting it in Audiobus, where you can adjust it and the app will then lock to it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469813570' post='3101308']
About the latency - can you adjust it in Amplitube? I've been leaning towards Tonestack lately as it has the best sounding amps, a decent enough Mutron III and I can set the buffer size to 64 samples which is the lowest I've seen! I have an iPad AIr 2 though, YMMV if using an older iPad.

Also, if you are running an app that defaults to a higher latency that you cannot bring down, try putting it in Audiobus, where you can adjust it and the app will then lock to it.
[/quote]

Good point on the buffer size.

I've not used Tone Stack for a while.

Jamup is definitely behind the game, Bias certainly sounds better than it, I remember Tone Stack being great but limited on Bass stuff.

But it's just like how many apps do you max out :P how many do you get set where the same sound is coming out of them :P

I certainly think I need to make some refinements and I'm not experimenting as much as I'd like

So there's a new bass expansion for BIAS FX.

What a waste of £8!

The bass envelope filter is supposed to be a Q-Tron. But it doesn't filter anything, just sounds the same as bypassed when I turn it on. Even worse than the Mutron which barely sweeps and has the direction control labelled the wrong way around.

The octaver is glitch city and the rest aren't very good either.

I forgot about the Deluxe Bass Big Muff in this pack, just tried it and it's decent! But in typical Positive Grid fashion, they screwed up at least one control, the LPF doesn't really do anything except go from on to off within the first 2% of the dial.