Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

Hi,

just been reading through this thread as I want to start using my iPad for gigs. I tried it at soundcheck today and it didn't work out as planned, and I was hoping someone could help me!

My signal chain was bass > apogee jam hd > ipad > cable from headphone port to input on di box (3.5mm cable with 1/4" adapter) I then ran the di to the pa and also a lead back to my amp so that I can use it as a monitor.

The signal coming out of my amp was fine once I adjusted the volumes on the apogee and the ipad, but when I turned on the pa there was a lot of noise from my channel.

I'm wondering if the line 6 port will solve this as I won't need to run a cable from the headphone port? I also probably need to get a di with a ground lift!

I ran through a few amps in JamUp, and they sounded great. Then I turned on Garageband, and used the di in that (the one that looks like an Avalon U5) and the sound was incredible!

Hopefully i can sort out the channel hiss in the pa as I really want to use the iPad on stage after hearing it today!

I'd try the ground lift to start with.

Also make sure your headphone cable is good quality as are the adaptors going to the di

If I was running this rig there is a specific radial stagebug di which is headphone to xlr and 1/4inch

I've only used the line 6 really (started off with the original awful irig) and that's straight into my jdi, I now have 3 of them and I'm glad I won't be affected by the lack of a headphone jack on future iPhones.

I'll definitely be checking out that di in GarageBand though, didn't know that existed, thanks

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered the Line 6 and a radial Pro AV1 (was onto Radial and this is what they suggested), so hopefully I'm good to go!

Will check out the Ampegs in GB. Seems like GB doesn't get a mention when it comes to amp simulators, but the di in it is fantastic.

I tried Amplitude but it was much noisier than the others, so for the moment I'll stick with JamUp and GB. When I'm feeling braver I'll add a pedal or two, at the moment I'm fully convinced the iPad will crash mid-gig!

I'm not sure you'll need that radial and the line 6.

I use my line 6 with the jdi but would use the av if I have an apogee jam.

Don't worry about it crashing I've been gigging mine over 3 years now. Gone down to mostly just using my phone these days over the iPad.

Amazed at these GB amp sims, thanks for the tip again

When I get the pickup fitted properly to my double bass next week I'm going to go hard at getting a preset that works for it.

What's people's favourite octaver app, I need to run 2 apps for something I'm playing with as I can't switch oct and chorus on independently in jamup and if I'm running 2 jamups I could easily be running 1 jamup and 1 anything else.

But struggling with the volume drop and it not quite having that proper oc-2 vibe

• 3 weeks later...

All the positive grid apps are on sale at the moment, but due to their buy the app and then pay again to unlock further bits within the app structure, combined with what looks like some overlap in content and functionality, it looks like a potential spend your money multiple times for almost identical stuff trap - anyone with some experience with the bias & jamup apps care to weigh in with opinions on what is/isn't worth buying?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='OmeDunk' timestamp='1483379517' post='3206704']
Bought myself an iRig HD2.

Is it possible to play along with the YouTube-app?
Any experiences?
[/quote]

Yes, you have to run youtube video just in Safari (don't run Youtube app) then run eg. Audiobus or JamUp or any amp app with bass hooked by any interface. Use play/pause on Control Center.
That's all.

Edited by bether

• 2 months later...