Why become a member? ×

iOS for the gigging Bassist

tayste_2000

Was going to use Bias/Jam up pro at our gig on the weekend using the poweramp stage from my Markbass CL300 ...... unfortunately it didnt occur to me that using the return socket on the head would give power to my speakers but using the DI on the head wont give a signal to the PA ....This is worth bearing in mind if you go through the PA at all your gigs .... I have an Aguilar Tonehammer DI pedal that I will introduce into the chain at the next gig ....so hopefully this should rectify this.

Need a bit of help.
My setup:
Fender P>M-Audio mobile pre usb audio interface>powered usb hub>lightning to usb connector(non apple)>ipad3>jamup pro.
My problem is, I'm not seeing a signal into jamup pro from the audio interface.
However, Jamup the free version, and all my other audio apps like Meteor daw all work fine with the Mobile pre.
I can only get Jamup pro to see an audiobus routed signal ie:
Audiobus- mic input> effects Jamup pro>speaker and that works ok, but it feels a bit laggy, (could just be me).
What am I doing wrong with Jamup pro that it's not seeing my direct input?
I have deleted and re loaded it but no change and I didn't see any "allow jamup to access microphone) type message either.
Jamup also doesn't see the mic input when all the hardware is removed.
Any ideas?

Great article, and just up my street these days.

Ooo, I've got a quick question, too: how long's the iPad lead on the Sonic Port? Was going to use an iKlip on a mic stand, but I don't want the Sonic Port dangling...

Cheers,

M

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1395128992' post='2398897']
I've been using a laptop with Native Instruments Guitar Rig Kontrol for 5 years now which means I could take my laptop to a gig instead of multi effects (assuming I didn't mind risking some plonker spilling beer on it at some point)..

I'm not clear on how the iOS is an improvement, can anyone enlighten me?
[/quote]

Few things

Software is cheaper
Touch screen is a big plus for changing settings in a live situation
You can run it off your phone which is 10th the size of your laptop

It's not better just a different approach to a concept that's been around for years but it's so much easier now than it was 5 years ago in my opinion

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1396195940' post='2410837']
Great article, and just up my street these days.

Ooo, I've got a quick question, too: how long's the iPad lead on the Sonic Port? Was going to use an iKlip on a mic stand, but I don't want the Sonic Port dangling...

Cheers,

M
[/quote]

Yeah the lead is about 60cms so its going to dangle. How 'bout velcro on the sonic port and the back of the iklip?

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1396193933' post='2410799']
Need a bit of help.
My setup:
Fender P>M-Audio mobile pre usb audio interface>powered usb hub>lightning to usb connector(non apple)>ipad3>jamup pro.
My problem is, I'm not seeing a signal into jamup pro from the audio interface.
However, Jamup the free version, and all my other audio apps like Meteor daw all work fine with the Mobile pre.
I can only get Jamup pro to see an audiobus routed signal ie:
Audiobus- mic input> effects Jamup pro>speaker and that works ok, but it feels a bit laggy, (could just be me).
What am I doing wrong with Jamup pro that it's not seeing my direct input?
I have deleted and re loaded it but no change and I didn't see any "allow jamup to access microphone) type message either.
Jamup also doesn't see the mic input when all the hardware is removed.
Any ideas?
[/quote]

Hmm, dunno. I only tried it with the sonic port and an Irig both worked straight away?

Thanks for the reply Noir.
I adjusted the latency on Audiobus so it's actually pretty good now but I still have to route the mic to Jamup pro through it, so will try and re install a couple of times.
Am sure it's a case of the app not asking if it can access the mic at initial install.
I bought the bass pack 1 and like it a lot, will prob go for bias as everyone is saying the amp models are better.
Really liking it though as a great practice tool, will see if it's practical for live use. Depends on charging and a decent foot pedal I spose.

Edit, I just found you can select what apps get mic access(and this means usb audio also) by going to
Settings>Privacy>microphone access,and select which app you want to have access.
Curiously my Jamup pro wasn't selected, so I changed that and it all works perfectly now.

Also, anyone looking for a lightning to usb adaptor that works with audio interfaces but doesn't want to give apple £25 for one, try here

http://uk.cellphoneshop.net
They are in Hong Kong, but it's free delivery and mine was here in a week, for a £5 it's bang on, I just bought two more. ; )

Edited by Monckyman

I've been looking at the various options for substituting real amps with modelling options (mainly from a transport/storage convienience viewpoint), and Bias looks quite promising (cheap, sounds good based on demos I've found) but in terms of live use for gigs/rehearsals what are the options for remote control of patch changes and using expression pedals etc?

I couldn't find any info on midi implementation on the appstore blurb for bias/jamup, and attempting to change patches using the touchscreen during a song doesn't strike me as a reliable solution, maybe someone who is using this hands-on can shed some light. I don't own an ipad/iphone, so I can't try this out for myself unfortunately.

edit:supported bit/sample rates for bias/jampup would be nice to know as well

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

Thanks Tayste for the blog posts.

I've had a Ampkit Link from early days - and always found it rather hissy. But now I've just bought a Behringer iS202 - and that is neat and about the same price as the Line6 Sonic Port. Used it in a rehearsal the other night. I listened to my bass via the headphones and gave the rest of the band sufficient of me in a monitor. The iS202 has two combo inputs with channel 2 switchable with a instrument input, and phantom power, you can also add an aux (e.g. a CD or record deck etc.) with Main L & R on a pair of jacks. Of course, it is iPad and uses the dock so not iPad4.

The thing is I have a Behringer FCB MIDI foot board, and as the iS202 has MIDI built in - I'm going to see if I can use the foot board to control stuff in JamUp, OnSong, etc.

Still wondering if I want to spend anymore on Amplitube or Ampkit - anyone any thoughts on comparisons?

I'm liking it.

Will likely be adding more blog stuff soon but got my Sonic Port back last night, did a gig with EUB and it sounded great, I did have to restart it before I played but this is a best practice anyway.

Currently my Matamp is out of action with a blown valve and I've got a big gig on Sunday, I'm going to use the ipad for it and that's my final test for live, if it handles this band (which it does, I've used it in practices) then I'm sorted and will be rarely bringing the amps out at all. I'm going to take some backups for the gig just incase but no physical amp.

I've also booked some studio time with a producer I've worked with a lot to test out the digital setup against my analog one for recording. So again if it performs there (which again it should be fine) I'll have everything I need for all the bands I play in both live and in the studio in a device that I can fit in my gig bag and carry a backup (in my phone) for no extra gear.

i've also started experiementing with Ampkit, at the moment if you're doing anything complicated like Audiobus 2 allows, you'll need amplitube, ampkit and jamup. Additionally with the odd update from companies (such as jamup) causing issues for sometimes weeks at a time you need some rig redundancy.

Anyway what's another £20 for 10 more amps and pedals anyway

Edited by tayste_2000

I got the amplitube orange bundle, and I do like their AD200 on there, and have been using it a few times at practice through the ampeg PF500 as a power amp, sounds good, but somehow doesn't seem to go as loud as just using the amp...

(I noticed you head was in Matamp when I popped over on tues, mines in at the mo, I wanna see if I can get an input added so that I can put other preamps into it to use the valve power section, but jeff doesn't think it's likely to be do-able I don't think :( )

Hahaha, it seemed to be an issue with space and placement on the MK1 where it wasn't gonna be in a noisy place... I just believed him :D but Hayden is gonna look at it hopefully, so fingers are crossed.

I have a preamp on the way and I wanna give it the full tubey power goodness it deserves!

Used my iPhone with my jamup in church this morning. Battery life isn't as good used 50% over 10%-15% on iPad. Still did a good job though and the beauty of this set up became apparent when I decided that a few songs needed chorus so I just dropped a modulation box in and away I went. Love having a pedal board on tap in my phone :)

I've done a few gigs now through my Ipad with Bias and Jamup pro .... And the sound has really been great ..... It's great to get the sound you actually want through headphones ..in virtual silence .. And you know that is the exact sound that will be going into your cabs and/or PA on gig night

I can't wait for the foot controller to be released

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1398117333' post='2430717']
I've done a few gigs now through my Ipad with Bias and Jamup pro .... And the sound has really been great ..... It's great to get the sound you actually want through headphones ..in virtual silence .. And you know that is the exact sound that will be going into your cabs and/or PA on gig night

I can't wait for the foot controller to be released
[/quote]

I'm delaying getting a blueboard to see how that BT-4 compares

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1398090071' post='2430290']
Come on then Ste, tell us all how it went! Saw the pics by the way, looks a cool venue, and you lot pull off a decent impression of stylish people too! ;)
[/quote]

Thanks, I guess ;)

Gig went well, setup worked perfectly and there are a wide array of fx used throughout, still having the issue of jamup not support the midi I need so had to switch to a couple of song specific patches but had no issues

Monitoring wasn't great so really going to check out some IEMs with built in ambient mics as that will give me a really easy setup.

But yeah this is my main gig rig now and I'll only be taking amps when the gig doesn't have a decent pa.

Full blog to come in the next day or so

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398172356' post='2431144']
Really interesting thread. I had no idea technology had advanced so quickly.

So basically, I have an iPhone 5S, and I can just buy the Line 6 hardware and a few apps and away we go? Is it basically like DI'ing from a Sansamp?
[/quote]

That and SOOOOOOO much more!